J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24)

• Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the conversation discusses the Taylor expansion of a ket and how it relates to equation (1.6.24) in "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition" by J.J. Sakurai. The conversation also covers the correct equation and methods for expanding the ket. It is noted that the second term in the expansion is equivalent to the derivative of the ket, making it valid to apply derivatives to kets.
omoplata
From page 46 of "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition", by J.J. Sakurai.

In equation (1.6.24),
[tex] \left[\mathbf{x}, \mathcal{T}(d\mathbf{x'}) \right] = d \mathbf{x'} \mid \mathbf{x'} + d \mathbf{x'} \rangle \approx d \mathbf{x'} \mid \mathbf{x'} \rangle [/tex]
It is written: "where the error made in writing the last line of (1.6.24) is of second order in [itex]d \mathbf{x'}[/itex]". How does that happen? From a Taylor expansion of [itex]\mid \mathbf{x'} + d \mathbf{x'} \rangle [/itex] ? If so, how do you Taylor expand a ket?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may just use the definition of the transformation operator [itex]\mathcal{T}[/itex].
[tex] \mathcal{T}(d\mathbf{x'})\mid \mathbf{x'} \rangle = \mid \mathbf{x'} +d\mathbf{x'} \rangle [/tex]
[tex] \left[\mathbf{x}, \mathcal{T}(d\mathbf{x'}) \right]\mid \mathbf{x'} \rangle = d \mathbf{x'} \mid \mathbf{x'} + d \mathbf{x'} \rangle = d \mathbf{x'}\mathcal{T}(d\mathbf{x'})\mid\mathbf{x'} \rangle = d \mathbf{x'} \left(1 - i\mathbf{K} \cdot d\mathbf{x'}\right) \mid\mathbf{x'} \rangle [/tex]

You may notice that [itex]1 - i\mathbf{K} \cdot d\mathbf{x'}[/itex] does look like the first two terms of a Taylor expansion.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. That never occurred to me. Thanks!

I also found out just now that I had written my equation wrong. I just corrected it. Sorry about that and thanks for looking at Sakurai to get through that.

You can’t use [itex](1-\mathbf{K}\cdot dx')[/itex] because you need to prove this later. I believe ket can be expanded as [tex]|x'+dx'\rangle=|x'\rangle+\frac{|x'\rangle}{dx'}dx'+\dots[/tex] and then ignore [itex]O(dx')^2[/itex]. What do you think?

Last edited:
The problem is how you can expand the ket?
I guess a good way would be to use this:
[itex] <f|x+dx>= f(x+dx) \approx f(x)+ f'(x) dx = <f|x>+ \frac{<f| x+dx>-<f|x>}{dx} dx= <f| (|x>+\frac{| x+dx>-<f|x>}{dx} dx)[/itex]
or
[itex] |x+dx> \approx |x>+\frac{| x+dx>-|x>}{dx} dx [/itex]

so multiplying with dx:
[itex] dx |x+dx> \approx dx |x>+\frac{| x+dx>-|x>}{dx} (dx)^{2} [/itex]

Am I somewhere wrong?

Exactly ... the second term [tex]\frac{|x+dx\rangle-|x\rangle}{dx}[/tex] is nothing but [itex]d|x\rangle/dx[/itex] since [itex]dx[/itex] is infinitesimal. It is totally legal to apply dervative to ket. Remember SHE [itex]\hat{H} |\psi\rangle=i\hbar d|\psi\rangle/dt[/itex]. So you don't need to project the ket into function.

Last edited:

Related to J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24)

1. What is J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24)?

J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24) is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the second order error in the position of a particle.

2. How is J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24) derived?

This equation is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system. By taking the second derivative of this equation, we can obtain the error in the position of the particle.

3. What does the "d x'" in J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24) represent?

The "d x'" represents the change in position of the particle. This can be thought of as the difference between the actual position and the predicted position of the particle.

4. Why is it important to consider the second order error in J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24)?

In quantum mechanics, precision and accuracy are crucial. By taking into account the second order error, we can improve the accuracy of our calculations and make more precise predictions about the position of the particle.

5. Are there any limitations to using J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24)?

Like any mathematical equation, there are limitations to the applicability of J.J. Sakurai: Error of 2nd Order in d x' Eq (1.6.24). It may not accurately account for all factors and variables in a quantum system, and it may not be applicable in certain situations or for certain types of particles.