Jackson 5.10 topic problem

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving a uniformly magnetized sphere and the use of the formula for magnetic potential. There was a confusion about a change of variable for differentiation, specifically the use of \frac{\partial r}{\partial z}=\cos\theta. The expert clarified by explaining that the formula being used is r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} and showed how it leads to the mentioned formula. The conversation ended with the expert pointing out a mistake in comparing partial derivatives in spherical and Cartesian coordinates.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

There is one thing I'm not getting in this problem. It's about uniformly magnetized sphere. In solving the problem with formula for magnetic potential:

[tex]\phi_M=-\nabla\cdot\int\frac{\vec{M}}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}d^3r'[/tex]

At one point a change of variable for differentiation is made

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial z}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/tex]

And he says that [tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial z}=\cos\theta[/tex]. But I can't see that. If I'm using the formula for spherical coordinate system transformation: [tex]z=r\cos\theta[/tex] I don't get just cosine, I get 1/cosine :\

So what formula is he using?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
He is using [itex] r = \sqrt {x^2 + y^2+z^2} [/itex], and then
[itex]
\frac{\partial r}{\partial z} = \frac{z}{r} = cos{(\theta)}
[/itex]

Since [tex] r = \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex],

[tex] \frac{\partial r }{\partial z} = \frac{z}{r}, [/tex]

which leads to the formula from the text. I think you're making a mistake because the partial derivatives in spherical and Cartesian coordinates are related by a 3x3 matrix, so it's not enough to merely compare reciprocals.

oh! I see, thanks :D

for bringing this problem to my attention. It seems like there may be a misunderstanding about the use of spherical coordinates in this problem. The formula for the transformation from Cartesian to spherical coordinates is indeed z=r\cos\theta, but this is only for the z-component of a vector. In this case, we are interested in the change of variable for the differentiation operator, which is a scalar quantity. The correct formula for this is \frac{\partial}{\partial z}=\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}, which can be derived from the chain rule. This means that the change of variable for differentiation in this problem should be \frac{\partial}{\partial z}=\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}, not \frac{\partial}{\partial z}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial z}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}. I hope this clarifies the confusion and helps you solve the problem correctly.

1. What is the "Jackson 5.10 topic problem"?

The "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" is a term used to describe a specific issue or challenge that is related to the topic of Jackson 5.10. It could refer to a problem that has been identified within the field of Jackson 5.10 or a problem that the Jackson 5.10 community is trying to address.

2. Why is the "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" important to study?

The "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" is important to study because it can provide valuable insights and solutions that can benefit the field of Jackson 5.10 and potentially other related fields. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the topic and can lead to advancements and improvements in current practices.

3. What are some potential causes of the "Jackson 5.10 topic problem"?

The "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" can have various potential causes, such as lack of funding or resources, outdated methods or technologies, limited research, or conflicting opinions and approaches within the field.

4. How can the "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" be addressed?

The "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" can be addressed through various methods, including further research and experimentation, collaboration and communication within the field, and implementing new strategies or technologies. It may also require a multi-faceted approach involving different stakeholders and perspectives.

5. What are the potential implications of the "Jackson 5.10 topic problem"?

The "Jackson 5.10 topic problem" can have significant implications for the field of Jackson 5.10 and potentially other related fields. It could impact the effectiveness and efficiency of current practices, hinder advancements and innovation, and have broader implications for society and the environment. It is important to address and find solutions to this problem to mitigate any potential negative consequences.