Jackson 6.4 (Multipole Expansion)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the quadrupole moment for a sphere with a non-zero charge density inside. The resulting equation for the quadrupole moment is found in 6.4a and involves converting the formula to spherical coordinates and integrating. However, the surface charge density must also be taken into account, which may require a different method of calculation.
shehry1

Homework Statement

Jackson 6.4b

Homework Equations

Multipole expansion especially Eq 4.9 in Jackson which is for a Quadrupole

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the result in 6.4a. The rho over there tells us that there is a charge density inside the sphere. Since the charge density is uniform about the x,y and z axis hence the dipole part of the expansion will go to zero.

Now for the quadrupole Q33: I convert the formula 4.9 to spherical coordinates and integrate the resulting expression:
(3z^2 - r^2 )*r^2 dr * d(Cos theta) * d(phi).

I get 0 because of the Cos thing. I think I need something like 5/3 from the Cosine to make the answer correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge density calculated in part (a) is accurate everywhere inside the sphere. But don't you also need to account for the surface charge density when calculating the quadrapole moment? :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
The charge density calculated in part (a) is accurate everywhere inside the sphere. But don't you also need to account for the surface charge density when calculating the quadrapole moment? :wink:

I was (implicitly) under the impression that the rho calculated would be valid for the surface as well. Could you kindly give me a physical reason for its not being valid at the surface.

Regards

Well, the problem states that the sphere is neutral...is that possible if you have a non-zero constant charge density throughout the sphere and on the surface?

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, the problem states that the sphere is neutral...is that possible if you have a non-zero constant charge density throughout the sphere and on the surface?

Ahh..so:
(induced surface charge) + (induced volume charge) = 0.

Thanks a lot.

To be clear; since part (c) asks you to calulate the surface charge density-- and that part comes after this part of the question--- I'd assume you are expected to use an entirely different method to determine the quadrapole moment. You are probably expected to first determine E outside the sphere (using your knowledge of what the electric field of an oscillating magnetic dipole looks like) and then use that to determine the potential and then the quadrapole moment tensor.

Last edited:

1. What is the Jackson 6.4 (Multipole Expansion) method?

The Jackson 6.4 (Multipole Expansion) method is a mathematical technique used in electromagnetism to approximate the electric and magnetic fields of a source distribution. It is based on the principle of expanding the fields in terms of multipole moments, which represent the distribution of electric charges and currents.

2. How is the multipole expansion different from other methods?

The multipole expansion is different from other methods, such as the Fourier series or Taylor series, because it takes into account the overall symmetry of the source distribution. This allows for a more accurate representation of the fields, especially for sources with complex shapes.

3. What are the limitations of the Jackson 6.4 (Multipole Expansion) method?

One limitation of the multipole expansion method is that it is only accurate for source distributions that are far from the observation point. It also assumes that the source distribution is continuous and well-behaved, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.

4. How is the multipole expansion used in practical applications?

The multipole expansion method is commonly used in the analysis and design of antennas, as well as in the study of electromagnetic radiation and scattering. It is also used in the development of computational methods for solving Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the Jackson 6.4 (Multipole Expansion)?

Yes, there are alternative methods to the multipole expansion, such as the method of moments and the finite element method. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of problems and may provide more accurate solutions in some cases.