Jackson & Q.E.D.: Which Book is Best for Study?

• Thread starter Shaun Culver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, the conversation discusses whether Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is sufficient for studying Q.E.D or if there is another book of equal stature. It is determined that Jackson's book is focused on the classical theory and does not cover Quantum Field Theory. It is recommended to look for a QFT textbook for a better understanding of Q.E.D.
Shaun Culver
Is Jackson's C. E. sufficient for the study of Q.E.D., or is their another book equal in stature on Q.E.D.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean "can I learn Q.E.D from Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics"? If so, then the answer should be fairly clearly, "NO". Jackson's book is on the Classical theory, i.e. the 19th century version, and as such completely predates Quantum Theory. (Jackson does make reference to some 20th century Physics, but the book is about the classical theory.)

QED is a Quantum Field Theory, and you need a lot more to learn that (like, a basic grounding in Quantum Mechanics).

Please excuse me if I've misunderstood your question.

Jackson's C.E. refers to Q.E.D. in some places, but needed an expert opinion to guide me. I think you're right...a QFT textbook is what I'm looking for. Thank you.

There are several threads about Q.F.T textbooks already. They are in this subforum so they are not hard to find :)

1. Which book is better for studying, "Jackson" or "Q.E.D."?

It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and the subject matter you are studying. "Jackson" is more focused on classical electrodynamics, while "Q.E.D." covers a broader range of topics in quantum mechanics. Both books are highly regarded in their respective fields, so it is recommended to consult with your professor or peers to determine which book would be more suitable for your specific needs.

2. Are the books suitable for beginners or do they require prior knowledge?

The books assume a basic understanding of mathematics and physics, but both are suitable for beginners as they provide a thorough introduction to their respective topics. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics before diving into either book.

3. Are there any notable differences between the two books?

While both books cover similar topics in physics, they have different approaches and styles of writing. "Jackson" is more theoretical and mathematical, while "Q.E.D." is more conceptual and focuses on problem-solving techniques. Additionally, "Jackson" is more focused on classical electrodynamics while "Q.E.D." covers a broader range of topics in quantum mechanics.

4. Can I use both books together for studying?

Yes, many students and researchers use both "Jackson" and "Q.E.D." as complementary textbooks for studying physics. They cover different aspects of the subject and can provide a more comprehensive understanding when used together.

5. Can these books be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

Both books can be used for self-study, but they are also commonly used as textbooks in university courses. "Jackson" and "Q.E.D." both have exercises and problems at the end of each chapter, making them suitable for self-paced learning. However, it may be beneficial to have a professor or peer to consult with for difficult concepts and problem-solving techniques.