1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job oportunities on europe and US

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1

Rolen

Gold Member

How's the situation for a phd on europe and US? Is it hard to find a job on industry or college?
    I live in Brazil, and I'm considering to do my phd on UK, but it seems that opportunities for a phd on europe are very scarce. Here on Brazil, a PHD(or doutor) can find a job very easily at any federal universities. Can we exchange some experience?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    Whats the general unemployement in Brazil? In the US its just under 8% if I recall, which for us is considered very high. Still, I think it is lower than many other places.

Getting a job at a university or college in the US is very tough. In industry its competitive as well, but if you get the right training and expertise you can probably get a career type job.

So maybe a solution for the out of work PhDs here in the states is to learn portuguese and apply in Brazil? Do you have any americans or europeans in your university faculty?

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3

Rolen

Gold Member

Yes, as far as I know there are 1 professor from France on my university.
    Here, to apply for a job as a professor/researcher, we have to take a big test called "concurso público", the job is as federal as a FBI agent(federal policeman).
    How is the procedure to get into a university as a professor there?

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4
  6. Feb 3, 2013 #5
    In the UK almost all funding is for UK citizens and, because of legal requirements, EU citizens who have been resident in the UK for a period of years.

As a Brazilian it will be very hard for you to get funding for a PhD in the UK unless your own government is willing to fund it.

7. Feb 3, 2013 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is -to some extent- true for students, but it is certainly not true once you e.g. start looking for post-doc postitions are applying for fundring from EPRSC yourself.
    In fact, EPSRC even has special grants for succesful researchers who want to move to the UK; although you would have to have years of experience and a very good track-record before you can apply for one of those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook