Joint conditional probability in bayes net

In summary, the given problem is to find the conditional probability P(b=true|e=false) in a belief network with given conditional independence and probability values. The solution involves summing out the variables a, c, and e in the joint probability expression and then using the equation P(b|d) = P(b,d)/P(d). The process for summing out involves multiplying the terms P(a) and P(d|b) together and then summing over all possible values of c and e.
lyuriedin

Homework Statement

We are given a belief network such that the overall joint probability after accounting for conditional independence is:

P(a,b,c,d,e) = P(a)P(c|a,b)P(d|b)P(e|d,b)
The values provided are:

P(a = false) = .02
P(b = false) = .95
P(c= false|a=true, b=true) = .97
P(c= false|a=true, b=false) =.04
P(c= false|a=false,b= true) = .99
P(c= false|a=false,b=true) = .1
P(d= false|b=true) = .03
P(d= false|b=true) = .98
P(e=false|d=true, b= true) = .92
P(e=false|d=true, b= false) = .01
P(e=false|d=false, b= true) = 1
P(e= false|d= false, b= false) = 1

The problem is to find

P (b=true|e=false)

Homework Equations

I know that

P(b|d) = P(b,d)/P(d)

and so I need to sum out until I get the marginals I need

The Attempt at a Solution

i.e. P(b,d)=Sum_over_a(Sum_over_c(Sum_over_e(P(a,b,c,d,e)))

= Sum_over_a(Sum_over_c(Sum_over_e(P(a)P(c|a,b)P(d|b)P(e|d,b)))

But I can't work out how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I just take the terms P(a) and P(d|b) and multiply them together? If so, how do I go about summing over the other terms? Thanks for any help.

Related to Joint conditional probability in bayes net

1. What is joint conditional probability in Bayes net?

Joint conditional probability is a statistical measure used in Bayesian networks to calculate the likelihood of two or more events occurring together, given that other events have already occurred. It takes into account the conditional relationships between variables in a network to calculate the probability of multiple events happening together.

2. How is joint conditional probability calculated in a Bayes net?

In a Bayes net, joint conditional probability is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event, taking into account any conditional relationships between them. This can be represented mathematically as P(A, B) = P(A|B) * P(B), where A and B are events and P(A|B) is the probability of A given that B has occurred.

3. What is the difference between joint and marginal conditional probability in Bayes net?

Joint conditional probability refers to the likelihood of multiple events occurring together, while marginal conditional probability refers to the likelihood of a single event occurring. Marginal probability is calculated by summing the probabilities of all possible joint events that include the specific event of interest.

4. Can joint conditional probability be used to make predictions in Bayes net?

Yes, joint conditional probability in Bayes net can be used to make predictions by calculating the probability of a specific event or set of events occurring, given the evidence from previous events. This can be useful in decision-making and risk analysis.

5. How is joint conditional probability used in real-world applications?

Joint conditional probability in Bayes net is used in a variety of real-world applications, including machine learning, medical diagnosis, and financial analysis. It allows for the calculation of the likelihood of multiple events occurring together, which can help in decision-making and risk assessment.