Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses Joos's treatment of virtual displacements and the equation of constraint in Lagrangian mechanics. The speaker raises questions about the interpretation of partial derivatives and the assumptions made in the text. They also mention Lanczos's treatment of the same topic. The main point is that the constraint equations eliminate a degree of freedom and the constraint forces do no work.
Hetware
I having a bit of trouble understanding Joos's treatment of virtual displacements. I am referring to pages 114 and 115 of Theoretical Physics, By Georg Joos, Ira M. Freeman

http://books.google.com/books?id=vI...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

If I consider, for example, an iron mass suspended by a rigid non-magnetic rod, length [itex]a[/itex] of negligible mass, and universally pivoted at the origin of my coordinate system, I can write the equation of constraint as:

[itex]f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-a^2=0[/itex]

Now [itex]\partial _xf=2x=0[/itex], [itex]\partial _yf=2y=0[/itex], [itex]\partial _zf=2z=0[/itex]. So forming the expression corresponding to equation VI-18 leads to the astounding conclusion that:

[itex]\partial _xf\delta x+\partial _yf\delta y+\partial _zf\delta z=2(x\delta x+y\delta y+z\delta z)=0(\delta x+\delta y+\delta z)=0[/itex]

According to VI-19, I form:

[itex](\vec{F}+\lambda \vec{\nabla f})\cdot \vec{\delta r}=0[/itex]

Which stands to reason since, by the assumption of static equilibrium [itex]\vec{F}\cdot \vec{\delta r}[/itex], and we also have [itex]\lambda \vec{\nabla f}\cdot \vec{\delta r}=\vec{0}\cdot \vec{\delta r}=0[/itex].

The text following equation VI-19 states that I can choose λ such that [itex]F_{z}+\lambda \partial _zf=0[/itex].

Either I'm missing something stated in the text, or there are unstated assumptions being made.

From my limited understanding of Lagrange multipliers, I might form [itex]g(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2[/itex] and insist that [itex]\vec{F}+\lambda \vec{\nabla g} =0[/itex]. I could then choose [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]F_{z}+\lambda \partial _zg=0[/itex], so long as [itex]\partial _zg≠0[/itex].

Am I correct in understanding that the [itex]\partial _xf,\partial _yf,\partial _zf[/itex] are to be interpreted as behaving as my function [itex]g(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2[/itex] would have them behave?

If my understanding is correct, then what proof do I have that "In this sum of 3N terms we can select the multipliers in such a way that the last [itex]l[/itex] terms vanish."?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hetware said:
[itex]f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-a^2=0[/itex]

Now [itex]\partial _xf=2x=0[/itex], [itex]\partial _yf=2y=0[/itex], [itex]\partial _zf=2z=0[/itex].

Yes the partial derivatives are [itex]\partial _xf=2x[/itex] etc, but why do you say ##x = y = z = 0##? Clearly they are not all 0 if the particle is at distance ##a## from the origin.

AlephZero said:
Yes the partial derivatives are [itex]\partial _xf=2x[/itex] etc, but why do you say ##x = y = z = 0##? Clearly they are not all 0 if the particle is at distance ##a## from the origin.

Well, if [itex]\delta x, \delta y, \delta z[/itex] are arbitrary, and [itex]\partial_{x}f,\partial_{y}f, \partial_{z}f[/itex] are non-zero, then [itex]\partial_{x}f \delta x+\partial_{y}f \delta y + \partial_{z}f \delta x \neq 0[/itex]. Also, [itex]\partial_{x}f \Longleftrightarrow \frac{d}{dx}x^2=-\frac{d}{dx}c[/itex] where [itex]c=y^2+z^2-a^2[/itex] which is a constant by the definition of partial differentiation. I really don't know how to interpret the result. I agree that it appears contradictory.

Hetware said:
Well, if [itex]\delta x, \delta y, \delta z[/itex] are arbitrary, and [itex]\partial_{x}f,\partial_{y}f, \partial_{z}f[/itex] are non-zero, then [itex]\partial_{x}f \delta x+\partial_{y}f \delta y + \partial_{z}f \delta x \neq 0[/itex].

[itex]\delta x, \delta y, \delta z[/itex] are not all arbitrary. There is a constraint between them, because the particle can only move on the surface of a sphere.

The point of doing it this way is that it's easier to keep all 3 of [itex]\delta x, \delta y, \delta z[/itex] and impose the constraint, rather than pick any two as arbitrary quantities and eliminate the other one.

The constraint that the particle DOES stay on the surface of the sphere is the equation
[itex]\partial_{x}f \delta x+\partial_{y}f \delta y + \partial_{z}f \delta z = 0[/itex] or [itex]2x\delta x+ 2y\delta y + 2z\delta z = 0[/itex].

For example if the particle is at (a,0,0), the constraint is then ##2a\delta x = 0##, in other words ##\delta x = 0## and ##\delta y## and ##\delta z## are arbitrary. But if the particle is at some "random" point like (a/3, 2a/3, -2a/3) the constraint is a linear relationship between ##\delta x##, ##\delta y## and ##\delta z##.

Last edited:
Lanczos treats this somewhat differently, beginning on Page 43 of The Variational Principles of Mechanics.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZW...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

He explicitly states that the [itex]\delta {u}_i[/itex] are not all independent of each other. Indeed, he argues that if they were mutually independent then all [itex]\partial_{u_{i}}f=0[/itex]. He also insists that these partials do not all vanish, which leads back to my problem with how to interpret their meaning. I'm almost certain that I should understand them to mean [itex]\partial_{u_{i}}f=0[/itex] evaluated in the neighborhood of [itex]f=0[/itex], and not to treat f as a constant value 0.

That is how I have previously understood this subject, but when I tried to write out an example, I realized I'm not completely clear on what the assumptions are. I know that the final result is that each constraint equation eliminates a degree of freedom. It also says that the constraint forces are normal to allowable trajectories, and therefore do no work.

Last edited:

1. What is Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement?

Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement is a mathematical concept used in classical mechanics to analyze the motion of particles and systems. It is based on the principle of virtual work, which states that the work done by non-conservative forces on a system is equal to the change in its total energy.

2. How does Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement differ from other methods?

Unlike other methods, such as Lagrangian mechanics or Hamiltonian mechanics, Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement does not require the use of generalized coordinates. Instead, it uses a set of independent variables known as virtual displacements to describe the motion of a system.

3. What are the advantages of using Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement?

One of the main advantages of Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement is its simplicity. It allows for a more straightforward and intuitive analysis of the motion of particles and systems. It also provides a more direct connection between the physical quantities and their mathematical representations.

4. Are there any limitations to Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement?

Like any method, Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement has its limitations. It is primarily used for analyzing systems with conservative forces, and it may not be suitable for systems with non-conservative forces or complex constraints.

5. How is Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement applied in real-world situations?

Joos's Treatment of Virtual Displacement is widely used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is often applied in the analysis of mechanical systems, such as bridges and machines, to determine their stability and predict their behavior under different conditions.