What Are Selectable and Screenable Phenotypes in Microbiology?

• Thread starter University
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary: This method involves the insertion of the transposon into the bacterial chromosome, and then using primers specific to the transposon to amplify the DNA fragments surrounding the insertion site. This allows for the rapid identification of the chromosomal mutation and its location. Overall, this study provides a useful tool for genetic mapping in bacteria and highlights the importance of understanding the difference between selectable and screenable phenotypes in experimental design. In summary, the article discusses the development of a transposon (MudSacI) containing both selectable and counterselectable markers for rapid mapping of chromosomal mutations in Salmonella typhimurium. This tool utilizes a method known as "transposon tagging" and highlights the difference between selectable and screenable phen
University

Homework Statement

Hello All,

I was given this article that I was suppose to summarize by finding background information on the experiment. This article is very complicated and hard to understand without finding background info. The course is Intro Microbiology and the topic relating to the article is Selectable vs Screenable Phenotypes

I really need some help in finding the background info. I goggle but could`t find anything. Your help in pointing me to links or suggestions are greatly appreciated. The Journal or article is below;

MudSacI, a Transposon with strong Selectable and Counterselectable Markers: Use for Rapid Mapping of Chromosomal Mutations in Salmonella typhimurium

Matthew Lawes and Stanley Maloy

Journal of Bacteriology, Mar 1995, p. 1383-1387, Vol. 177, No. 5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Background Information: Selectable phenotypes refer to the ability of a cell to survive or grow in the presence of a certain selection agent, such as antibiotics. Screenable phenotypes, on the other hand, refer to the ability of a cell to be detected through physical or biochemical changes. In this study, the authors developed a transposon (MudSacI) that contains both selectable and counterselectable markers, allowing for rapid mapping of chromosomal mutations in Salmonella typhimurium. The transposon was designed to contain a marker conferring antibiotic resistance (Kanamycin) in order to select for the presence of MudSacI, and a counterselectable marker (Nalidixic acid) to allow for easy detection of the presence of MudSacI in cells that had lost the Kanamycin resistance gene. The authors also utilized a method known as “transposon tagging” in order to map the location of the chromosomal mutations.

1. What is the scope of the "Journal of Bacteriology"?

The "Journal of Bacteriology" is a scientific journal that publishes original research articles, reviews, and commentaries on all aspects of microbiology, with a focus on bacteria. This includes topics such as bacterial genetics, physiology, ecology, and pathogenesis.

2. How often is the "Journal of Bacteriology" published?

The "Journal of Bacteriology" is a monthly publication, with 12 issues released each year.

3. Is the "Journal of Bacteriology" a peer-reviewed journal?

Yes, the "Journal of Bacteriology" is a peer-reviewed journal, meaning that all submitted manuscripts undergo a rigorous review process by experts in the field before being accepted for publication.

4. Can I access articles from the "Journal of Bacteriology" for free?

The "Journal of Bacteriology" is a subscription-based journal, but many articles are available for free through open access. Additionally, some universities and research institutions may have access to the journal through their library subscriptions.

5. Can I submit my research to the "Journal of Bacteriology"?

Yes, the "Journal of Bacteriology" accepts submissions of original research articles, reviews, and commentaries in the field of microbiology. Authors can submit their manuscripts through the journal's online submission system.

Back