Can We Reach and Surpass the Universe's Edge?

In summary, the writer is asking questions about getting to the edge of the universe and possible conditions for doing so. The writer is also asking about getting to the edge of the universe and possible conditions for entering into another universe.
montecristo42
First time poster--

I'm going to apologize up front for the long post, but I haven't found a better forum than this to ask questions in.

I'm a writer, and I'm fascinated by the idea of "traveling to the edge of the universe" in terms of creating a science fiction story. Now, the majority of the posts I've seen on here are saying that getting to the edge is impossible because there really is no edge.

I have several general questions...so here goes.

1. Under what conditions would it be possible for us to reach the "edge" of the universe? i.e. a universe that is closed/open/something else, finite/infinite, etc. Possibly related, what type of universe would have an "edge"?

2. Under what conditions would it be possible to go "beyond" the edge of the universe?

3. Under what conditions would it be possible to enter into another universe (I'm specifically thinking of the multiverse view of the cosmos here, with our universe being but a bubble among other bubbles)?

We're talking science fiction here, so obviously there are some assumptions built into my questions--namely, a ship that could travel MUCH faster than light; a device able to locate and home in on the "edge"; a ship able to reach another universe; etc.

Thanks in advance! This is a great forum.

Check out Four Stories Podcast at:
www.fourstoriespocast.blogspot.com

Space news on Phys.org
Hi MonteCristo42! And welcome to PF!

Your questions are firmly rooted in science fiction. You will find, at least in this forum, that participants are bound by the forum guidelines to stick to discussing verifiable science, and delving too far into speculation and fictional scenarios can result in the thread being locked.

With that in mind, considering the question "What kind of universe has an edge?" I would have to say "a fictional one." As far as I know, our actual universe does not have an edge. In other words, when speaking about cosmological distances, in the tens and hundreds of billions of light years, our common conception of linear geometry does not strictly apply anymore. Given what we know about the universe and what current models tell us, you cannot "stand" or "float" at the "edge". Moving to what might seem like the "edge" from Earth's perspective merely changes your frame of reference to the center of another part of the universe that is inaccessable to us due to our "puny" 14 billion light year horizon of observation.

Somewhat relevant to the OP and the title of the thread is somewhat fitting. If a MOD feels this should be a new thread, by all means split it.

"[URL
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080923-dark-flows.html

"Mysterious New 'Dark Flow' Discovered in Space"

As if the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy weren't vexing enough, another baffling cosmic puzzle has been discovered.

Patches of matter in the universe seem to be moving at very high speeds and in a uniform direction that can't be explained by any of the known gravitational forces in the observable universe. Astronomers are calling the phenomenon "dark flow."

The stuff that's pulling this matter must be outside the observable universe, researchers conclude.

Rest of article at link above.

Here's the relevant papers:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0809.3734
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0809.3733

If these findings hold true, I find it amazing that we can actually measure the effects of something that is outside of our observable universe. Clearly, it's too soon to make such assertions, but the implications here could be quite interesting.

In the interest of keeping on topic of the OP, just have your spaceship ride the Dark Flow. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
sysreset and derekmcd--

Thanks for the replies! I didn't read (should have) the Forum's posting rules. Maybe if I were to put the word "FICTION" or "SPECULATIVE" in the title of the thread, then it would be more appropriate. I just don't have access to astrophysicists on a regular basis, so when I found this Forum I was very excited.

I will check out these links you've provided.

Thanks again!

1. What is the edge of the universe and beyond?

The edge of the universe and beyond refers to the farthest reaches of our observable universe. It is the point where we can no longer see or detect any objects or events due to the limitations of the speed of light and the expansion of the universe.

2. How do we know what lies beyond the edge of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques, such as telescopes and satellites, to observe and study the universe. They also use mathematical models and theories, like the Big Bang theory, to understand the origins and structure of the universe. However, we currently have limited knowledge about what lies beyond the observable universe.

3. Is it possible to travel to the edge of the universe and beyond?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to physically travel to the edge of the universe and beyond. The distances are too vast and the technology required for such a journey does not yet exist. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day make this possible.

4. What would happen if we were able to reach the edge of the universe?

If we were able to reach the edge of the universe, we would likely encounter extreme conditions such as intense radiation, extreme temperatures, and vast emptiness. We may also discover new and unknown phenomena that could greatly expand our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there other universes beyond our own?

There are many theories and speculations about the existence of other universes beyond our own, known as the multiverse theory. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea, and it remains a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.