How Far and How Long Until the Sports Car Catches Up with the Truck?

• Thread starter Dough
  • Start date
If it's only t then it's linear. In summary, the truck is traveling at a constant velocity of 22m/s north, while a woman in a sports car is accelerating at 4.8[m/s]/s. When the sports car catches up with the truck, they have both traveled a distance of 201.67 meters in 55/6 seconds (9.17 seconds). This can be found by setting their position equations equal to each other. In a long distance race, Michael catches up with Robert in 34.4 seconds, traveling a distance of 144.5 meters, by setting their position equations equal to each other and solving for the time it takes for them to meet. This type of problem is quadratic
Dough
A truck is traveling at a constant velocity of 22m/s north. The Driver sees a traffic light turn from red to green soon enough, so he does not have to alter his speed. Meanwhile, a woman in a sports car is stopped at a red light. At the moment the light turns green and the truck passes her, she begins to accelerate at 4.8[m/s]/s (metres per second squared). How far have both vehicles traveled when the sports car catches up with the truck? How long did it take for the sports car to catch up with the truck?

Thanks
-Dough

Physics news on Phys.org
Dough said:
A truck is traveling at a constant velocity of 22m/s north. The Driver sees a traffic light turn from red to green soon enough, so he does not have to alter his speed. Meanwhile, a woman in a sports car is stopped at a red light. At the moment the light turns green and the truck passes her, she begins to accelerate at 4.8[m/s]/s (metres per second squared). How far have both vehicles traveled when the sports car catches up with the truck? How long did it take for the sports car to catch up with the truck?

Thanks
-Dough

Ok so you want to find an equation for both of their positions at any given time. The trucks equation will be x(t)= 22t
the sports cars equation will be x(t)=.5at^2 which = 2.4t^2
Set the equations equal to each other so that its 22t=2.4t^2 and you find the 0's
One will be 0 but the other one will be the answer which is t=9.17 seconds which is more accurately defined as 55/6.
It will take 55/6 seconds to catch up. Plug 55/6 into either equation to find out how far both vehicles have traveled which is 201.67 meters or more exactly, 605/3

Likes Saima Islam
now i feel really stupid cuase i typed out the wrong question :rolleyes:

ok that was easier than how the book explained it

the question that iw as supposed to type up is:

In a long distance race, Michael is running at 3.8 m/s and 75m behind Robert, who is running at a constant velocity of 4.2 m/s. If Michael accelerates at 0.15 m/s^2, how logn will it take him to catch Robert?

Damn i feel stupid for typing the wrong quesiton... what a first post...

Lol ok well then, let's see now. Basically you set up 2 equations again
Michael: x(t)= -75 + 3.8t + 0.075t^2
Robert: x(t)= 4.2t

Find out the zeros obviously greater then 0.

The answer comes out to be 34.4s. This is verifyable by plugging it into both equations and the distance they meet at if the origin is 0 at Robert's starting point is about 144.5 meters

Pengwuino said:
Lol ok well then, let's see now. Basically you set up 2 equations again
Michael: x(t)= -75 + 3.8t + 0.075t^2
Robert: x(t)= 4.2t

Find out the zeros obviously greater then 0.

The answer comes out to be 34.4s. This is verifyable by plugging it into both equations and the distance they meet at if the origin is 0 at Robert's starting point is about 144.5 meters

im going to give that a shot in a few minutes

Why isn't it

Michael: x(t)= 3.8t + 0.075t^2
Robert: x(t)= 75+ 4.2t

It doesn't matter. When you put the 2 equations equal to each other, that 75 can be positive for robert or, as i put it, negative for michael.

Great! I got it, Thanks a lot Pengwuino(cool name too)

Ok before i was doing it like this

4.2m/s × t = -75m + 3.8m/s × t + 0.075t^2
because of this i kept trying to do something stupid... like

4.2m/s = -75m + 3.8m/s × t + (0.075t^2) / t
and then cancel out the power to the 2 but then units wouldn't really allow for me to do much...

Would all questions with an offset liekt his oen be quadratic? I did a lot of other questions and none required use of the quadratic formula...

Only if there's a t^2 in it.

FAQ: How Far and How Long Until the Sports Car Catches Up with the Truck?

What is the meaning of "Just a question i am struggling on"?

The phrase "just a question I am struggling on" typically refers to a question or problem that a person is having difficulty understanding or finding the answer to. It could also imply that the person is seeking help or clarification on the question.

Why do people struggle with certain questions?

There can be various reasons why someone may struggle with a question. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the topic, insufficient information or resources, personal biases or beliefs, or difficulty comprehending the language used in the question.

How can I improve my ability to answer difficult questions?

Some tips for improving your ability to answer difficult questions include studying and understanding the subject material thoroughly, practicing critical thinking skills, seeking help from others, and approaching the question with an open mind and willingness to learn.

Are there any specific strategies for tackling tough questions?

Yes, there are various strategies that can be helpful in tackling tough questions. These include breaking the question down into smaller parts, looking for keywords or clues, using process of elimination, and double-checking your work for accuracy.

Is it okay to ask for help with a question I am struggling on?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength and a willingness to learn. It is always better to seek clarification or assistance rather than struggling on your own and potentially getting the wrong answer. Don't be afraid to reach out to teachers, peers, or other resources for help with difficult questions.