Just a quick question about some basic terms in QM

• Thread starter oliver.smith8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Terms
In summary, in QM, an eigenstate is a particular state of an object, and an eigenvector is a particular vector in a complex vector space that corresponds to that state. The eigenvalue of an operator is a particular value that the operator produces when it operates on a particular eigenvector.
oliver.smith8
I'm trying to ge my head around some basic things but where ever I look I seem to get a different answer.

what is an eigenvalue, eigenvector, eigenfunction and eigen stat, all in the context of QM?
and how do these apply to the operator equation.

[tex]\hat{O} \psi = O \psi[/tex]

what is the differnce between a [tex] \Psi [/tex] and a [tex]\psi[/tex]?

I hope somebody can help because I can't get my head round it!

Physics news on Phys.org
there are many different notations, but one usally denotes operators with hats, and big Psi for a general state-function and small psi's for eigenfunctions (bases).

now look at

[tex]
\hat{O} \psi = O \psi
[/tex]

The operator O is acting on small phi, and you get the eigenvalue O, thus small psi is an eigenstate (eigenfuction, eigenvector depending on what psi resembles).

Look at

[tex]
\hat{O} \Psi = \hat{O} ( \psi_1 + \psi _2 + \psi _3) = O_1 \psi _1 O_2 + \psi _2 + O_3 \psi _3
[/tex]

The Big Psi is a linear combination of eigenstates to the operator O.

Eigenstate is the most fundamental, eigenvector you have in discrete cases, like spin. And eigenfunctions when you have continuous variables (momentum, position etc).

You will learn all of this by practice, don't panic

If you have done linear algebra, you should recognize these things.

Welcome to PF!

Hi oliver! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a psi: ψ and an Ô :wink:)

In Ô = O, Ô is the operator, O is the eigenvalue, and ψ is the eigenvector (same as eigenstate) …

so for example if Ô is the momentum operator, then O is a momentum value, and ψ is a wave function with that (pure) momentum.

I think the difference between Ψ and ψ is just that ψ tends to be used for eigenvectors (eigenstates),while Ψ is used for anything.

I'm assuming you know what a vector space is.

In quantum mechanics, states are members of a complex vector space [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex], called Hilbert space. Observables are Hermitian operators on this vector space. An eigenvector of an operator [itex] \hat{O} [/itex] is any vector [itex] v [/itex] that satisfies the equaton [itex] \hat{O} v = \alpha v [/itex], where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is a scalar, called the eigenvalue corresponding to [itex] v [/itex]. The eigenvectors of observables (Hermitian operators) form an orthonormal basis set for [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex], i.e. any state can be written as a linear combination of these eigenvectors. In the context of QM, the eigenvectors are usually called eigenstates. For example, if [itex] \hat{X} [/itex] is the position operator, it's eigenvectors are called position eigenstates.

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion of macroscopic objects, such as planets and cars, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What are some key terms in quantum mechanics?

Some key terms in quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, wave-particle duality, and uncertainty principle.

3. What is the role of probability in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probability plays a crucial role in describing the behavior and states of particles. It is used to predict the likelihood of an outcome or state of a particle in a given situation.

4. Is quantum mechanics a complete theory?

Currently, quantum mechanics is considered a complete theory as it has been extensively tested and proven to accurately describe the behavior of particles. However, it is still being studied and there may be further developments and refinements in the future.

5. How is quantum mechanics applied in real-world technologies?

Quantum mechanics has numerous practical applications, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and nuclear energy. It is also being used in fields such as cryptography, telecommunications, and quantum computing.