Does Gravity Violate the Cosmo Speed Limit?

• Thread starter whiteholes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, Gravity exists as a force according to 1st law of thermodynamics, and it does not require any energy for its movement. It also exists as the Earth orbits around the sun at 90 degrees, and using mathematics calculation, it does not require any energy for this movement. But as Gladi8or2 mentions, you're working with the Newtonian notions of gravity. Relativity gives the speed of gravity to be that of light. However, if you let go of something you're holding, it would drop instantly. If the sun "let go" of earth, we would float away. That is because the object you're holding is already within a constant gravitational field,
whiteholes
Is gravity a force? Does it exist?
If gravity is a force, according to 1st law of thermodynamics, where does gravity gets its energy from?
If it exist, it violates the cosmo speed limit. Just imagine that the sun were to just vanish one day, we on Earth would logically experience 8 more minutes of sun before everything goes dark!(as the light from the sun takes approx. 8 minutes to reach us) BUTinstead Earth would "float" away into the darkness of space as there is no more "gravitational pull" from the sun. So this means gravity travels faster than light.

But it can be said that gravity exist as the Earth orbits at 90 degrees around the sun, and using mathematics calculation, it does not require any energy for this movement!

But i can't think of any explanation that how it can travel faster than light!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
white holes said:
If it exist, it violates the cosmo speed limit. Just imagine that the sun were to just vanish one day, we on Earth would logically experience 8 more minutes of sun before everything goes dark!(as the light from the sun takes approx. 8 minutes to reach us) but instead Earth would "float" away into the darkness of space as there is no more "gravitational pull" from the sun. So this means gravity travels faster than light.

Why do you think it travels at faster then c?

If you let go of something you're holding, it would drop instantly. If the sun "let go" of earth, we would float away.

white holes said:
If you let go of something you're holding, it would drop instantly. If the sun "let go" of earth, we would float away.

But where are you getting the idea that gravity travels faster then the speed of light?

so let me ask you, what speed does gravity travel at? My explanation here is trying to say that if the sun vanishes, we will float away immediately! before light from the sun reaches us. In other words, gravity is faster than light.

Einstein's theory of relativity tells us we will experience 8 more minutes of gravitation after the dissappearing of the sun. The speed of gravity is c.

wow is that true? If it is then i think gravity does exist! But there is expansion theory which states that gravity can't exist. Instead it says all atoms in our universe is expanding at a universal rate of expansion!

white holes said:
wow is that true? If it is then i think gravity does exist!
Gravity clearly exists. What exactly is the nature of gravity and how it behaviours is a more difficult question.
white holes said:
But there is expansion theory which states that gravity can't exist.
You throw a ball fast enough into the sky (6km/s or more) and it'll never came back down to Earth. Does this mean gravity doesn't exist? Nope.
white holes said:
so let me ask you, what speed does gravity travel at? My explanation here is trying to say that if the sun vanishes, we will float away immediately! before light from the sun reaches us. In other words, gravity is faster than light.
As Gladi8or2 mentions, you're working with the Newtonian notions of gravity. Relativity gives the speed of gravity to be that of light.
white holes said:
That is because the object you're holding is already within a constant gravitational field, it already feels the pull of gravity. You have to change the gravitational field and then see how long it takes objects a distance away to notice the change in order to work out how fast gravity moves.

Your example is like me saying 'When I open the curtains of my room in the morning, light from the Sun immediately comes into the room. Therefore light gets from the Sun to my curtains instantly.' Can you see why this is false reasoning?
white holes said:
If gravity is a force, according to 1st law of thermodynamics, where does gravity gets its energy from?
It's not gravity which is an energy, it's a force. It's object which work against (or with) the force of gravity which have energy, since energy is (in one definition) force times the distance moved against that force.

Here...i think that gravity is possible but trying to weigh the possibilities!

if we drop a ball of lead and feather they will both fall at the same time right? But both the ball and feather has mass means it has certain amount of gravity pull. So each of them will have a different pull against the earth. But in expansion theory, the Earth expands towards the object at the same speed. It is true that an astronaut in space feels the same as falling down from world trade center. This means in expansion theory all objects are floating. But we can stand on Earth as the Earth is expanding towards us and pushing us up. This idea is actually quite weird but i don't think we should totally forget about it.

if we drop a ball of lead and feather they will both fall at the same time right? But both the ball and feather has mass means it has certain amount of gravity pull. So each of them will have a different pull against the earth.
Righty-o, if you were dealing in a vacuum on the ground.

But in expansion theory, the Earth expands towards the object at the same speed. It is true that an astronaut in space feels the same as falling down from world trade center.
I don't think that's right.

This means in expansion theory all objects are floating. But we can stand on Earth as the Earth is expanding towards us and pushing us up. This idea is actually quite weird but i don't think we should totally forget about it.
Well the objects don't look like they're floating? Like the Earth. What is it sitting on? Its floating. An asteroid, what is it sitting on? Its floating!

Isn't the expansion caused by the inflation of spacetime, not the stars and galaxies actually moving?

Last edited:
Well the objects don't look like they're floating? Like the Earth. What is it sitting on? Its floating. An asteroid, what is it sitting on? Its floating!

Isn't the expansion caused by the inflation of spacetime, not the stars and galaxies actually moving?

actually i don't get what you mean.
if everything expands at the same rate, you will not be able to tell the difference.

But in expansion theory, the Earth expands towards the object at the same speed. It is true that an astronaut in space feels the same as falling down from world trade center.

I don't think that's right.
but this is what the astronauts claim.

white holes said:
wow is that true? If it is then i think gravity does exist!

Congrats :biggrin:

But there is expansion theory which states that gravity can't exist. Instead it says all atoms in our universe is expanding at a universal rate of expansion!

You are of course correct that if "everything is expanding at a universal rate" that this would simply come down to a continuous change of the definition of the unit of length, and not change anything.

The "universal rate of expansion" in cosmology is of course only valid on large, cosmological scales. The moon is not receding from earth, your ruler is not expanding, the solar system is not expanding because of that. It is only when you are on such large scales that you can consider space "more or less uniformly filled with matter" that the notion of universal rate of expansion makes sense.

white holes said:

Upon reading this, I'm becoming more and more convinced that you have misunderstood completely the relationship between gravity and cosmological expansion. The cosmological expansion has NOTHING to do with an astronaute or a feather falling to earth!

Gladi8or2 said:
Einstein's theory of relativity tells us we will experience 8 more minutes of gravitation after the dissappearing of the sun. The speed of gravity is c.

In fact, Einstein's theory of relativity forbids you to consider the disappearing of the sun. A bit like charge conservation is dictated by the Maxwell equations, and hence you CANNOT ANSWER the question: "what would the electromagnetic field do if a charge suddenly disappeared ?" because according to the Maxwell equations, the charge CANNOT disappear.

white holes said:
Gravity is a force. Energy is energy. They are not the same thing and force does not require energy.
But it can be said that gravity exist as the Earth orbits at 90 degrees around the sun, and using mathematics calculation, it does not require any energy for this movement!
Again, why would energy be needed?

vanesch said:
Congrats :biggrin:

You are of course correct that if "everything is expanding at a universal rate" that this would simply come down to a continuous change of the definition of the unit of length, and not change anything.

The "universal rate of expansion" in cosmology is of course only valid on large, cosmological scales. The moon is not receding from earth, your ruler is not expanding, the solar system is not expanding because of that. It is only when you are on such large scales that you can consider space "more or less uniformly filled with matter" that the notion of universal rate of expansion makes sense.

if everything is expanding at the same rate...you cannot tell any difference

white holes said:
if we drop a ball of lead and feather they will both fall at the same time right? But both the ball and feather has mass means it has certain amount of gravity pull. So each of them will have a different pull against the earth. But in expansion theory, the Earth expands towards the object at the same speed. It is true that an astronaut in space feels the same as falling down from world trade center. This means in expansion theory all objects are floating. But we can stand on Earth as the Earth is expanding towards us and pushing us up. This idea is actually quite weird but i don't think we should totally forget about it.

I think it is pretty safe to forget all about it. A lead ball and feather will fall at the same rate if dropped from the same distance, but if you drop two objects from different heights(even the same object), they will not fall at the same rate. (which they would have to in order for gravity to be caused by the Earth expanding) Also, the moon has 1/6 the surface gravity of the Earth, thus it would have to expand at a slower rate, meaning that the relative sizes between the Earth and Moon would change with time.

The facts we observe about gravity just do not mesh with an Earth expanding theory.

Janus said:
I think it is pretty safe to forget all about it. A lead ball and feather will fall at the same rate if dropped from the same distance, but if you drop two objects from different heights(even the same object), they will not fall at the same rate. (which they would have to in order for gravity to be caused by the Earth expanding) Also, the moon has 1/6 the surface gravity of the Earth, thus it would have to expand at a slower rate, meaning that the relative sizes between the Earth and Moon would change with time.

The facts we observe about gravity just do not mesh with an Earth expanding theory.

BINGO! :smile:

white holes said:
but this is what the astronauts claim.

You are confusing two phenomena that are unrelated. Gravity and the expansion of the universe have nothing to do with each other.

white holes is talking about expanding Earth "theory". Crackpottery.

Locked.

FAQ: Does Gravity Violate the Cosmo Speed Limit?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon that describes the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is one of the fundamental forces in the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by pulling objects towards each other. The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull, and the further apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational attraction will be.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering gravity in the late 17th century. He formulated the law of universal gravitation, which describes the mathematical relationship between the mass and distance of two objects and their gravitational attraction.

4. How does gravity affect time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not just a force between objects, but it also warps and curves space and time. This means that the stronger the gravitational pull of an object, the more it bends and distorts the fabric of space-time, affecting the motion of other objects in its vicinity.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly studying and researching ways to harness this force for practical applications, such as space travel and energy generation. Some theories, like anti-gravity, have been proposed, but there is no solid evidence to support them.