Just had one here in Toronto (~1:43PM).Sitting at our desks, the

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: Whatever the hell is going on in that part of the world?In summary, the office felt an earthquake in Toronto. There are aftershocks possible.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Just had one here in Toronto (~1:43PM).

Sitting at our desks, the whole office felt the building rock forth and forth for about 15s. What's wild is that we got forewarning: we were on a con-call with Ottawa (nearer the epicentre) and they experienced it 45s before we did.

Anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org

Im in pittsburgh and the whole building started shaking about 10 mins or so ago. They are doing a whole bunch of construction on this building, so I just figured that's why. No idea it was an earthquake

DaveC426913 said:
Anyone else?
I should get ready to shake in about 20 minutes according to your measurement.

No shaking here in central Maine, but I wouldn't have noticed anyway - there is a lot of heavy truck traffic on our road and I would have laid it off to traffic.

I did feel it in Montreal. Very short tough.

Yup, I'm in downtown Toronto and it woke me up. It only lasted 3secs though. I thought someone bombed G20. =_=

Apparently, aftershocks are expected.

I'm right at the waterfront. I'd love to see if tremors might be visible in the water. Any bets?

DaveC426913 said:
Apparently, aftershocks are expected.

I'm right at the waterfront. I'd love to see if tremors might be visible in the water. Any bets?
If the water is VERY still, maybe. It would be interesting to see ripples at the edges of pools and channels from the shaking.

I felt it in Buffalo, NY. My first one.

humanino said:
I should get ready to shake in about 20 minutes according to your measurement.
Indeed.

seismic_waves.png

http://xkcd.com/723/

Was it strong enough to cause structural damage to buildings/roads? I hope not.

DaveC426913 said:

:rofl:

A magnitude-5.0 earthquake struck at the Ontario-Quebec border region of Canada on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, shaking homes and businesses from Canada's capital in Ottawa on south to the U.S. state of West Virginia.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
The midday quake was felt in Canada and in a number of U.S. states, including Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey and New York.
The USGS said the quake occurred at a depth of about 12 miles (19.2 kilometers). The agency initially said the quake had a 5.5 magnitude, but later reduced it to a magnitude-5.0. The quake occurred at 1:41 p.m. EDT (1741 GMT), the USGS said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cn_canada_earthquake

Last edited by a moderator:

I like their reporting...

"The midday quake was felt in [that vast, uncharted and undifferentiated wasteland (ye Gods, do they even have borders up there or they just some monstrous orgy of anarchical tribespeople) called Canada] and in a number of U.S. states, including Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey and New York."

This is pretty surprising to me. I wasn't aware of a fault that runs east/west like this.

zoobyshoe said:
This is pretty surprising to me. I wasn't aware of a fault that runs east/west like this.

How do you know what direction the fault runs?

Just saw the news. The Salvation Army building in Waterville was evacuated during the quake. It's an old building, and it apparently shook noticeably. That's just about 40 miles from here.

We have a fault a few miles from here running through Missouri, go figure.

It's called the New Madrid fault. We get earthquakes AND tornadoes!

DaveC426913 said:
How do you know what direction the fault runs?

I'm making an assumption based on the east/west line of locations where it was felt.

had one wake me up when i lived in huntsville. i immediately recognized it was an earthquake (my first one ever) and went back to sleep. found a couple of things knocked over the next day.

Initial news reports we read out here said that it shook TO out to Ottawa. So, sideways, yes? :smile:

You and everyone you know okay, Dave? My parents are just east of you. I need to check on them.

Magnitude 5.0 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA

Date-Time:
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 17:41:41 UTC
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 01:41:41 PM at epicenter

56 km (35 miles) NNE (16°) from OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada

Depth: 16.4 km (10.2 miles) set by location program

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php#summary

Historical seismicity
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/2010/eq_100623_xwa7/neic_xwa7_h.html

We occasionally get small earthquake ~1 - 2 Mag, but sometimes up to ~4.

Last edited by a moderator:

I read that the cause was isostatic re-stabilization, that make sense to anyone? (Since the region was covered in glaciers 20 000 years ago)

Any other theories floating around out there, maybe aliens or the government?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm making an assumption based on the east/west line of locations where it was felt.
Well, no. The places where it is felt will radiate out from a point - the epicenter - which is in Quebec.

What you're suggesting is that we also experienced an earthquake here near Toronto. We didn't. Was just felt the shock as it radiated from the epicenter.

has anyone notice that the quakes are getting more frequent and spreading globally... i wonder what that oil volcano in the gulf will do... could it cause a collapse of the sea floor and release a tsunami?

DaveC426913 said:
Well, no. The places where it is felt will radiate out from a point - the epicenter - which is in Quebec.

What you're suggesting is that we also experienced an earthquake here near Toronto. We didn't. Was just felt the shock as it radiated from the epicenter.

I thought that the 'epicenter' was right at Ottawa?

But yeah, I never felt a thing. Was too busy working my *** off outside in the blistering 31 + humidex heat. Sucked.

pvas said:
has anyone notice that the quakes are getting more frequent and spreading globally...
No. Reporting bias.
pvas said:
i wonder what that oil volcano in the gulf will do... could it cause a collapse of the sea floor and release a tsunami?
No.

zomgwtf said:
I thought that the 'epicenter' was right at Ottawa?
Yes. It was about 35 miles away - in Quebec.
See Astro's post.

DaveC426913 said:

Indeed. I jumped to a conclusion after having read a list of east/west locations that felt it.

We were supposed to be able to feel it down our way, but I was probably out walking at that time so didn't feel it.

1. What causes earthquakes?

Earthquakes are caused by the sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust. This energy is released when the tectonic plates, which make up the Earth's surface, shift and collide with each other.

2. How are earthquakes measured?

Earthquakes are measured using a seismograph, which records the vibrations caused by the earthquake. The magnitude of an earthquake is measured on the Richter scale, with each whole number increase representing a tenfold increase in the earthquake's strength.

3. Can earthquakes be predicted?

While scientists have made advancements in earthquake prediction, it is still not possible to accurately predict when and where an earthquake will occur. However, scientists can monitor seismic activity and identify areas that are at a higher risk for earthquakes.

4. What should I do during an earthquake?

If you are indoors, stay away from windows, heavy furniture, and objects that could fall. Drop to the ground, take cover under a sturdy desk or table, and hold on until the shaking stops. If you are outdoors, move away from buildings, trees, and power lines and find an open area.

5. How can I stay safe after an earthquake?

After an earthquake, be cautious of potential hazards such as damaged buildings, roads, and bridges. Check for injuries and provide first aid if needed. Have an emergency kit ready with food, water, and supplies. And listen to local authorities for updates and instructions.