Just had one here in Toronto (~1:43PM).Sitting at our desks, the

Well, no. The places where it is felt will radiate out from a point - the epicenter - which is in Quebec.

What you're suggesting is that we also experienced an earthquake here near Toronto. We didn't. Was just felt the shock as it radiated from the epicenter.

I thought that the 'epicenter' was right at Ottawa?

But yeah, I never felt a thing. Was too busy working my *** off outside in the blistering 31 + humidex heat. Sucked.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

has anyone notice that the quakes are getting more frequent and spreading globally....
No. Reporting bias.
i wonder what that oil volcano in the gulf will do... could it cause a collapse of the sea floor and release a tsunami?
No.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

I thought that the 'epicenter' was right at Ottawa?
Yes. It was about 35 miles away - in Quebec.
See Astro's post.

Well, no. The places where it is felt will radiate out from a point - the epicenter - which is in Quebec.

What you're suggesting is that we also experienced an earthquake here near Toronto. We didn't. Was just felt the shock as it radiated from the epicenter.
Indeed. I jumped to a conclusion after having read a list of east/west locations that felt it.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

We were supposed to be able to feel it down our way, but I was probably out walking at that time so didn't feel it.