K-map for a 4-bit synchronous decade counter.

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a lab assignment involving a 4-bit synchronous decade counter and is having difficulty with the K-maps and J-K inputs. They have used a method to derive the K-maps before but are unsure if they are using the correct method or if they have made a mistake. They share their progress and ask for guidance on where they may have gone wrong. Another person points out that the circuit they used is incorrect and that there is more than one way to design a synchronous decade counter.
muppen

Homework Statement

I'm a bit at a loss here for a particular assignment we got for one of our labs. I've been using a certain method to derive the k-maps for some circuits, but for this particular one, it didn't really work out too well for some reason. We built and implemented a 4-bit synchronous decade counter. We were then told to make a state diagram, next-state table and a k-map for all the j-k inputs. I'm having a particular issue with the K4/J4 and the K2 maps.

Let me first give you a link to the actual circuit:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/counter/cou14.gif

This is how far I've gotten, I've make a flip-flop transition table, next-state table and also been determining which cells to map with what from it.

http://imageshack.us/f/813/18768245.png/

Is there a flaw in my reasoning? For example, I first take Q1, and check the position 0000 against the next state. I then derive what to place in that position for J1 and K1, and I do the following for all the other positions and Q2-Q4. Am I using the wrong method, or have I mapped something wrong or written something wrong?

Here's how far I've gotten:
http://imageshack.dk//viewimage.php?file=/imagesfree/Fah58500.png

Homework Equations

J1/K1 should always be high, which is correct.
J2/K2 should be Q1Q4'. The J2 is correct, but the K2 is not.
J3/K3 should be Q1Q2, which is correct.
J4/K4 should be Q1Q2Q3 + Q1Q4. I however, get some other results.

Where am I wrong in my reasoning? I know there's another way to solve the K-maps for this counter, by checking previous outputs when the current output toggles, but I've used this method before, and it has worked just fine. Am I marking the positions on the K-map wrong or am I using the wrong method, or does it not apply to these, or what?

I'm grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed the link to the circuit might not work, so here's a working one: http://imageshack.dk//viewimage.php?file=/imagesfree/dr654051.png"

I had mapped 3 positions wrong in the K1 and K3 maps, but it didn't change the outcome at all. Here's the progress so far: http://imageshack.dk//viewimage.php?file=/imagesfree/xD854200.png"

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at your work, and I agree with you for the values that you get for your J and K inputs on all four FF's. The ones you marked as possibly wrong are not wrong; they are correct.

What I don't understand is why in your circuit, you have the J and K inputs on each FF connected together. But on FF's 2 and 4 your expressions for J and K are not equal. I think all that is wrong is you haven't wired your circuit to agree with your logic.

It's because I just took a circuit from Internet, and implemented that, due to lack of time. It was only afterwards, while doing the report, that I realized it wasn't the same circuit as what circuit diagram showed. The expressions I got from my Karnaugh map were correct, it's just that there's more than one way to design a synchronous decade counter.

muppen said:
It's because I just took a circuit from Internet, and implemented that, due to lack of time. It was only afterwards, while doing the report, that I realized it wasn't the same circuit as what circuit diagram showed. The expressions I got from my Karnaugh map were correct, it's just that there's more than one way to design a synchronous decade counter.

I gather that you realize that circuit you lifted from the internet isn't correct. It transitions from hex 6 to hex F : 0110 → 1111.

1. What is a K-map and how is it used?

A Karnaugh map (K-map) is a graphical method used to simplify Boolean algebra expressions. It is used to minimize the number of logic gates needed to implement a Boolean function, making digital circuits more efficient and easier to design.

2. How does a 4-bit synchronous decade counter work?

A 4-bit synchronous decade counter is a digital circuit that counts from 0 to 9 and then resets back to 0. It uses 4 flip-flops to store the count and a combinational logic circuit to generate the next count based on the previous count. The synchronous aspect means that the flip-flops are triggered by a clock signal, ensuring that all changes in the count happen at the same time.

3. Why is a K-map useful for designing a 4-bit synchronous decade counter?

A K-map is useful for designing a 4-bit synchronous decade counter because it allows for a systematic approach to simplifying the Boolean expressions needed for the combinational logic circuit. By grouping and eliminating redundant terms, a K-map can help minimize the number of logic gates needed and make the circuit more efficient.

4. Can a K-map be used for larger counters, such as 8-bit or 16-bit counters?

Yes, a K-map can be used for larger counters. The number of variables in the Boolean expressions will increase with the size of the counter, but the same principles of grouping and eliminating redundant terms can still be applied to simplify the expressions and minimize the number of logic gates needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using a K-map for designing a 4-bit synchronous decade counter?

One limitation of using a K-map is that it can become more complex for larger counters, making it harder to visualize and group terms. Additionally, K-maps can only be used for Boolean functions, so any non-Boolean components in the design, such as clocks or flip-flops, will need to be handled separately.