Kansas votes to endorse ignorance

• News
  • Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ignorance
I was the only one who didn't laugh out loud. But as I was sitting there, I was thinking about how each of the shows that were being torn apart, were making a difference in some people's lives. People who might otherwise be living a life of crime, were instead being constructive. I think the best way to reach people who have beliefs that are not logical, is to show them the respect they deserve, and to use logic and reason to gently guide them to a better understanding. It's not easy, and I've failed more often than I've succeeded. But I am convinced that it's the only way.In summary, the state's school board voted for new teaching standards promoting Intelligent Design language, which supporters claim will
franznietzsche said:
Splitting ID and creationism is like splitting General Relativity and gravity.
You do realize that creationists believe that the world is only six or seven thousand years old? They believe that mankind is literally decended from the literal Adam and Eve. They believe mankind were placed on this Earth as they are now. They believe that dinosaur bones are evidence of the giants that existed before the flood. The point being that they believe in the literal interpretation of the bible.
Now if ID is creationism please find me an ID site that claims any of this.
Claiming the ignorance of others with ignorant statements only makes you look like a fool.

Physics news on Phys.org
He's at it again -

Check this out:

(CBS/AP) The Reverend Pat Robertson says Pennsylvanians who voted members of the Dover Area school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" rejected God as well.

Eight school board members who wanted high school biology students to be told that intelligent design is an alternative to evolution lost their re-election bids Tuesday.

On Thursday's broadcast of "The 700 Club," Robertson told Dover residents, "If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God." The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network explained, "You just voted God out of your city."
For more - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/10/politics/main1036232.shtml

TheStatutoryApe said:
You do realize that creationists believe that the world is only six or seven thousand years old? They believe that mankind is literally decended from the literal Adam and Eve. They believe mankind were placed on this Earth as they are now. They believe that dinosaur bones are evidence of the giants that existed before the flood. The point being that they believe in the literal interpretation of the bible.
Now if ID is creationism please find me an ID site that claims any of this.
Claiming the ignorance of others with ignorant statements only makes you look like a fool.

Well, there are two forms of ID, young Earth (8000 y/o AND the guiding hand) as well as old Earth (just the guiding hand).

Last edited:
SOS2008 said:
Check this out:
For more - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/10/politics/main1036232.shtml
"You just voted God out of your city."

:rofl:

That's so ridiculous that it's...it's...Evo<------bites her tongue.

I won't bite my tongue. Once again, Pat Robertson proves that he's a senile, sadistic man with no grasp on reality.

Evo said:
"You just voted God out of your city."
That's so ridiculous that it's...it's...Evo<------bites her tongue.
I don't know how much credibility Pat has anymore, but this is just more of the same "sinners and wrath of God" garbage that was said about New Orleans. You don't want to know how many people believe such things. :eek:

SOS2008 said:
I don't know how much credibility Pat has anymore, but this is just more of the same "sinners and wrath of God" garbage that was said about New Orleans. You don't want to know how many people believe such things. :eek:
Way too many. I saw a recent poll that said 53% of Americans believed the bible over evolution.

That is just plain scary.

faust9 said:
Well, there are two forms of ID, young Earth (800 y/o AND the guiding hand) as well as old Earth (just the guiding hand).
http://www.slate.com/id/2118388/

There are Creationists and Young Earthers that promote intelligent design but that does not mean ID has anything to do with Creationist or Young Earth theories. New Agers promote QM because they use it to try to make their metaphysics sound scientific and often misrepresent QM in the process. QM has nothing to do with the New Age movement. Time travel proponents use Relativity to suit their purposes while GR and SR haven't anything to do with Time Travel.
Many of the people who cite ID clearly don't understand ID or Evolution since ID does not dispute that life evolved from simpler forms into more complex ones which is the basis of evolution. ID only disputes the manner in which this occured, the mainstream belief on this issue being "natural selection". ID promotes the idea of a "driving force" (generally "intelligent")of some sort behind the evolution of species, that is all.
If you want to call ID unscientific that's fine. However it is not religion just because religious people believe it. ID is just a flawed and unscientific argument. Just calling it what it is without invoking epithets does just fine in discrediting it and it doesn't leave IDers room to state that they have been unfairly dismissed by ignorant labels.

Maybe God doesn't play dice with the universe. :biggrin:

Mercator said:
How long is always? What was before always? You know, even in classic mathematics 2 parrallels intersect somewhere.
Another definition issue. I agree with you though, it logically does not make sense, but what can you do. Props to whoever created the definition of god.

I believe that god created the universe, but i also believe that evolution was followed.
However, the way that the proponets of ID talk , I can not agree with their methods or their the way they twist science to their needs. I know what I believe isn't proveable.
I believe that religous views of the creation (or beginning) of the universe should be mentioned but not taught.

loseyourname said:
Have you ever been to some of these places? They aren't isolated from technology, but they are most certainly isolated from any reasonable semblance of a scientifically thinking culture. The way people are raised - indoctrinated from birth - certainly makes a difference. Why do you think you're so intent on finding evidence for Buddhism in quantum theory? It's the same reason that people look for evidence of the Great Flood in the geological record and come up with nonsense like hydroplate theory. And it isn't because of low IQ. I'd imagine you're a smart girl, and many of the people pushing creationism and ID are also incredibly intelligent.
This reminds me of a program I recently watched called The Journey of Man. A geneticist is going around the world tracing the journey of the original humans to leave Africa and figuring out where they branched off to and when. When he comes to Australia, he's speaking to a man of aboriginal descent, asking him if they have any narratives about coming into Australia from southeast Asia and how they might have done so. The man insists that they came from Australia and that the rest of the world was descended from Australians. The genetictist shows him the evidence that that is not the case. Archaeological findings of human activity in Africa are way older than those in Australia, and Australians carry genetic markers from Africa, but not the other way around, proving that transmission of genetic material could only have been one way - Australians are descended from Africans, but not vice versa. No matter what he said, the man would not accept it and continued to insist that all human are descended from Australians. He didn't do this because he was a low-IQ, ignorant fool, but because it conflicted with his long-established and deeply felt identity, something that no man is going to easily give up.
I have not had the pleasure to visit the places in question but I will accept what you say about these people being indoctrinated and therefore believe in creationism. My position is essentially this - The fact that indoctrinated Americans choose to, in Norman's words, ignore evolution, when confronted with cogent and persuasive evidence and conflicting claims of evolution, goes to the very heart of IQ. For what is IQ if not the
ability to reason... solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas...(and the) broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings--"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that religous views of the creation (or beginning) of the universe should be mentioned but not taught.

whats the difference?

Relgion should be taught, so should science. More specifically the Facts of both, not opinions

Smurf said:
Where'd you get 1/2 from?
:biggrin: Sorry, that would be what Ivan quoted in Post #11. Here
(CBS) Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved.[continued]
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in965223.shtml

TheStatutoryApe said:
Many of the people who cite ID clearly don't understand ID or Evolution since ID does not dispute that life evolved from simpler forms into more complex ones which is the basis of evolution. ID only disputes the manner in which this occured, the mainstream belief on this issue being "natural selection". ID promotes the idea of a "driving force" (generally "intelligent")of some sort behind the evolution of species, that is all.

For what it's worth, ID tends to reject the idea of "macroevolution", although "microevolution" may be accepted. Of course, ID has a broad spectrum of supporters...some which accept small designed steps and some that require leaps of special creation.

Is there anyone who seriously thinks that "some sort of intelligence" is meant to be anything other than God? (Even if someone claims it's aliens, that just begs the question about alien evolution/creation...never mind the existence of aliens.)

Phobos said:
For what it's worth, ID tends to reject the idea of "macroevolution", although "microevolution" may be accepted. Of course, ID has a broad spectrum of supporters...some which accept small designed steps and some that require leaps of special creation.

Is there anyone who seriously thinks that "some sort of intelligence" is meant to be anything other than God? (Even if someone claims it's aliens, that just begs the question about alien evolution/creation...never mind the existence of aliens.)
As far as I understand that should be "ID tends to reject the idea of 'macroevolution' via 'natural selection'". I've never seen an ID argument that states life did not evolve and just came into being more or less the way it is now. Though I have seen creationists claim this and use "irreducible complexity" as part of their argument.

This is getting a bit off the topic of the politics involved but if we intend to argue against ID being considered science we ought to have an understanding of it first shouldn't we?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Though I have seen creationists claim this and use "irreducible complexity" as part of their argument.
Actually, that's ID's claim.

"Proponents of Intelligent Design claim that they look for evidence of what they call signs of intelligence — physical properties of an object that necessitate "design". The most common cited signs being considered include irreducible complexity, information mechanisms, and specified complexity. Many design proponents believe that living systems show one or more of these, from which they infer that life is designed. This stands in opposition to mainstream explanations of systems, which attempt to explain the natural world exclusively through impersonal physical processes such as random mutations and natural selection."

This is getting a bit off the topic of the politics involved but if we intend to argue against ID being considered science we ought to have an understanding of it first shouldn't we?
I have a pretty good understanding of ID, and it's not quite the same as yours.

Here is some good background information:

"The Intelligent design movement is an organized neo-creationist campaign to promote Intelligent Design arguments in the public sphere, primarily in the United States.

Phillip E. Johnson, considered the father of the Intelligent Design movement and its unofficial spokesman stated that the goal of Intelligent Design is to cast creationism as a scientific concept:

"Our strategy has been to change the subject a bit so that we can get the issue of Intelligent Design, which really means the reality of God, before the academic world and into the schools."[21]

"This isn't really, and never has been a debate about science. It's about religion and philosophy."[22]

At the 1999 "Reclaiming America for Christ Conference" Johnson described the movement thus: "I have built an intellectual movement in the universities and churches that we call The Wedge, which is devoted to scholarship and writing that furthers this program of questioning the materialistic basis of science." ..."Now the way that I see the logic of our movement going is like this. The first thing you understand is that the Darwinian theory isn't true. It's falsified by all of the evidence and the logic is terrible. When you realize that, the next question that occurs to you is, well, where might you get the truth?" ..."I start with John 1:1. In the beginning was the word. In the beginning was intelligence, purpose, and wisdom. The Bible had that right. And the materialist scientists are deluding themselves." [24]

The Intelligent Design movement is largely the result of efforts by the conservative Christian think tank the Discovery Institute, and its Center for Science and Culture.

The Discovery Institute operates on a $4,000,000 budget [25] and receives financial support from 22 foundations, at least two-thirds of which state explicitly religious missions. The institute's CSC was founded largely with funds provided by Howard Ahmanson Jr., who has stated a goal of "the total integration of biblical law into our lives."[26] A CSC mission statement proclaimed its goal is to "unseat not just Darwinism, but also Darwinism's cultural legacy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Design

I am waiting for ID to disprove itself and prove evolution, or ID disproves the Bible. :biggrin:

Once again, Pat Robertson proves that he's a senile, sadistic man with no grasp on reality.
Not senile - deranged and demented. :biggrin:

So sue me Pat. :yuck:

Evo said:
Actually, that's ID's claim.
"Proponents of Intelligent Design claim that they look for evidence of what they call signs of intelligence — physical properties of an object that necessitate "design". The most common cited signs being considered include irreducible complexity, information mechanisms, and specified complexity. Many design proponents believe that living systems show one or more of these, from which they infer that life is designed. This stands in opposition to mainstream explanations of systems, which attempt to explain the natural world exclusively through impersonal physical processes such as random mutations and natural selection."
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but the intent of my statement was to show that Creationists may use ID arguments but ID does not necessarily support Creationism proper. I have never seen IDers(that weren't also creationists) claim that life has always existed more or less as it is now. In fact from what I have seen of ID arguments they focus quite a bit on the Pre-Cambrian explosion, something which a true creationist wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole except perhaps to make a lame attempt at debunking the fossil records.

Evo said:
I have a pretty good understanding of ID, and it's not quite the same as yours.
Here is some good background information:
"The Intelligent design movement is an organized neo-creationist campaign to promote Intelligent Design arguments in the public sphere, primarily in the United States.
Phillip E. Johnson, considered the father of the Intelligent Design movement and its unofficial spokesman stated that the goal of Intelligent Design is to cast creationism as a scientific concept:
"Our strategy has been to change the subject a bit so that we can get the issue of Intelligent Design, which really means the reality of God, before the academic world and into the schools."[21]
"This isn't really, and never has been a debate about science. It's about religion and philosophy."[22]
At the 1999 "Reclaiming America for Christ Conference" Johnson described the movement thus: "I have built an intellectual movement in the universities and churches that we call The Wedge, which is devoted to scholarship and writing that furthers this program of questioning the materialistic basis of science." ..."Now the way that I see the logic of our movement going is like this. The first thing you understand is that the Darwinian theory isn't true. It's falsified by all of the evidence and the logic is terrible. When you realize that, the next question that occurs to you is, well, where might you get the truth?" ..."I start with John 1:1. In the beginning was the word. In the beginning was intelligence, purpose, and wisdom. The Bible had that right. And the materialist scientists are deluding themselves." [24]
The Intelligent Design movement is largely the result of efforts by the conservative Christian think tank the Discovery Institute, and its Center for Science and Culture.
The Discovery Institute operates on a $4,000,000 budget [25] and receives financial support from 22 foundations, at least two-thirds of which state explicitly religious missions. The institute's CSC was founded largely with funds provided by Howard Ahmanson Jr., who has stated a goal of "the total integration of biblical law into our lives."[26] A CSC mission statement proclaimed its goal is to "unseat not just Darwinism, but also Darwinism's cultural legacy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Design
This is about a modern political movement. You know as well as I do that the "intelligent design" argument is at least centuries old, or gained it's original popularity with the "watch maker" argument. Just because a political movement has taken on ID as a cause to champion in order to promote their own agenda does not mean that ID really supports their cause.
As I've already stated new agers and the like have used QM to advance their own agenda.
Helena Blavatsky used misinterpreted theoretical physics to promote her shams. Alistair Crowley promoted theoretical physics and even perscribed a degree in science among other things as necessary for anyone to be properly intiated into and understand his brand of mysticism.
Recently the Ether has been ressurected by free energy advocates. We all know that the ether was only a failed theory on the propagation of "light waves".

TheStatutoryApe said:
This is about a modern political movement.
Yes, that's what we're discussing, the ID from the Discovery Institute, that's what is causing all the trouble and they are the ones in the news. No wonder you've been on a different page from the rest of us. :smile:

You know as well as I do that the "intelligent design" argument is at least centuries old, or gained it's original popularity with the "watch maker" argument.
Not the current "Intelligent Design" movement that we are discussing, it started in 1988. You're discussing something completely different.

I'm not aware of any other group currently touting "Intelligent Design". They're not in the news. Do they have a website? Seriously, I'm wondering what you're referring to, I know you too well to not believe you.

Astronuc said:
Not senile - deranged and demented. :biggrin:
So sue me Pat. :yuck:
He can't. In order to sue, you have to prove the statement false.

Evo said:
Yes, that's what we're discussing, the ID from the Discovery Institute, that's what is causing all the trouble and they are the ones in the news. No wonder you've been on a different page from the rest of us. :smile:
Not the current "Intelligent Design" movement that we are discussing, it started in 1988. You're discussing something completely different.
I'm not aware of any other group currently touting "Intelligent Design". They're not in the news. Do they have a website? Seriously, I'm wondering what you're referring to, I know you too well to not believe you.
Yes, there is a definite difference between the current Intelligent Design movement and the general idea that there might have been an intelligent designer that created and determined the future of the universe.

The Intelligent Design movement has little to do with traditional, centuries old debate about whether there was an intelligent designer 'behind the curtain'. For the older intelligent design philosophy, quite a few notable scientists have believed that not only was there an intelligent designer, but if humans could accumulate enough data, they could look into the future and see where the design ultimately led ("determinists" like Einstein and LaPlace).

If the Intelligent Design movement had any understanding of what it was talking about, it wouldn't be attacking Darwin - it would be attacking Heisenberg, Schroedinger, and Dirac. Quantum mechanics causes a lot more problems for the intelligent design idea (both the current political movement and the older general philosophy) than evolution does.

Stephen Hawking's explanation of the determinism/random chance debate: http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/dice.html

BobG said:
Stephen Hawking's explanation of the determinism/random chance debate: http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/dice.html

This completely misses the legitimate loophole for ID.

Thus it seems that even God is bound by the Uncertainty Principle, and can not know both the position, and the speed, of a particle. So God does play dice with the universe. All the evidence points to him being an inveterate gambler, who throws the dice on every possible occasion.

This is silly. The obvious problem is that a god - omnipotent by definition - would control the outcome of every roll of the dice. So the argument can be made that the outcome of any and every quantum event, something that according to QM we cannot predict, is the manifest will of God.

Ivan Seeking said:
This completely misses the legitimate loophole for ID.
This is silly. The obvious problem is that a god - omnipotent by definition - would control the outcome of every roll of the dice. So the argument can be made that the outcome of any and every quantum event, something that according to QM we cannot predict, is the manifest will of God.

That, I think, is very close to what the Pope thinks. Of course the quantum physicists would respond to that that such an idea just means you haven't truly grokked the quantum principle but are still wandering in the hidden variable wilderness, And that wilderness was shown to be non productive (i.e. physically void) by the Bell theorem and the Aspect experiment (see quantum forum for many discussions).

selfAdjoint said:
Of course the quantum physicists would respond to that that such an idea just means you haven't truly grokked the quantum principle but are still wandering in the hidden variable wilderness, And that wilderness was shown to be non productive (i.e. physically void) by the Bell theorem and the Aspect experiment (see quantum forum for many discussions).
That sounds almost biblical. :bugeye: You're not a missionary, are you? :uhh:

Evo said:

Well this is the political forum and I know that we're discussing the political ramifications. But the actual argument is the core of the political movements strength because so many people, regardless of faith or lack there of, think the argument has merit. That was the reason why Dawkins wrote The Blind Watch Maker, because he realized that so many people did not realize the strength of the argument for natural selection and the logic problems inherant in ID.
From what I remember of Dawkins' book he did not bash ID what so ever or make claims of conspiracy on the part of Christian Conservatives, though by his attitude I could see that he likely does have an issue with these things. He made his argument realizing that if he intended to persuade people he could not afford to turn them off with political and religeous bashing. As Ivan stated before we need to appeal to people and try to help them understand rather then being argumentative and distainful. If we say that it's all just a big conspiracy by the religeous right and no person in their right mind would believe in ID then we risk instilling indifference or even distain in those we seek to persuade simply because they don't like our manner.
So I'm just saying that if we forget the political movement and it's intentions and focus on the argument we will likely get further. If you notice one of the first things you read on http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/
Objectivity results from the use of the scientific method without philosophic or religious assumptions in seeking answers to the question: Where do we come from?
We believe objectivity in the institutions of science, government and the media will lead not only to good origins science, but also to constitutional neutrality in this subjective, historical science that unavoidably impacts religion. We promote the scientific evidence of intelligent design because proper consideration of that evidence is necessary to achieve not only scientific objectivity but also constitutional neutrality.
If they talk like this and we mudsling then we look bad.

TheStatutoryApe said:
So I'm just saying that if we forget the political movement and it's intentions and focus on the argument we will likely get further. If you notice one of the first things you read on http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/
Objectivity results from the use of the scientific method without philosophic or religious assumptions in seeking answers to the question: Where do we come from?
We believe objectivity in the institutions of science, government and the media will lead not only to good origins science, but also to constitutional neutrality in this subjective, historical science that unavoidably impacts religion. We promote the scientific evidence of intelligent design because proper consideration of that evidence is necessary to achieve not only scientific objectivity but also constitutional neutrality.
OMG, you believe in ID?

TSA, there is NO science behind ID, they use no scientific methods, they do not meet scientific criteria, that's what everyone is pointing out, IT'S BS!

I hope you're not too far gone to be saved. :frown: Read this, it explains why it's not science.

Portraying Intelligent Design as science

Intelligent design proponents often claim that their position is not only scientific, but that it is even more scientific than evolution. This presents a demarcation problem, which in the philosophy of science, is about how and where to draw the lines around science.

For a theory to qualify as scientific it must be:

Consistent (internally and externally)

Parsimonious (sparing in proposed entities or explanations, see Occam's Razor)

Useful (describes and explains observed phenomena)

Empirically testable & falsifiable (see Falsifiability)

Based upon controlled, repeated experiments

Correctable & dynamic (changes are made as new data are discovered)

Progressive (achieves all that previous theories have and more)

Tentative (admits that it might not be correct rather than asserting certainty)

For any theory, hypothesis or conjecture to be considered scientific, it must meet at least most, but ideally all, of the above criteria. The fewer which are matched, the less scientific it is; and if it meets only a couple or none at all, then it cannot be treated as scientific in any meaningful sense of the word.

Typical objections to defining Intelligent Design as science are:

Intelligent design lacks consistency.[16]

Intelligent design is not falsifiable.[17]

Intelligent design violates the principle of parsimony.[18]

Intelligent design is not empirically testable.[19]

Intelligent design is not correctable, dynamic, tentative or progressive.[20]

In light of its failure to adhere to these standards, critics contend that Intelligent Design can not be said to follow the scientific method[21].

There is no way to test its conjectures, and the underlying assumptions of Intelligent Design are not open to change.

Intelligent design critics further point out that the intelligent design doctrine does not meet the criteria for scientific evidence used by most courts. In Its 1993 Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals opinion, the United States Supreme Court articulated a set of criteria for the admissibility of scientific expert testimony, in effect developing their own demarcation criteria. The Daubert Standard governs which evidence can be considered scientific in United States federal courts and most state courts. The four Daubert criteria are:

-The theoretical underpinnings of the methods must yield testable predictions by means of which the theory could be falsified.

-The methods should preferably be published in a peer-reviewed journal.

-There should be a known rate of error that can be used in evaluating the results.

-The methods should be generally accepted within the relevant scientific community.

Intelligent design also fails to meet the legal definition of science on each of the four criteria."

Last edited:

The point is the ID ultimately is subjective, not objective, and the proponents do have a religious agenda.

The ID 'propaganda' is disingenuous.

We promote the scientific evidence of intelligent design
This is a false statement, IMO.

Evo said:
OMG, you believe in ID?
LOL! Why do you think that?
I've read about both natural selection and ID. I can not allow myself to consider an idea to be flawed or wrong or what have you unless I have read what the people themselves say about their case. I'm also very picky about my debunking sources since so many skeptics are too often over zealous about tearing apart their targets to be objective about the idea they are debunking. I think Richard Dawkins did a pretty good job with "The Blind Watch Maker".
Just because I have read some of their material doesn't mean I believe them. I know about New Agers, Theosophy, Crowley, Free Energy, and so forth because I read what they have to say. Aside from enlightening myself about their ideas and figuring out for myself what I don't agree with or believe I actually find it entertaining. So far I would have to say that Carlos Castenada was the most entertaining author I have read when researching these sorts of things.

Astronuc said:
The point is the ID ultimately is subjective, not objective, and the proponents do have a religious agenda.

The ID 'propaganda' is disingenuous.
But the concern should not be in regards to the proponents but the people who believe them. The people who believe do not necessarily have a "religious agenda" or a desire to spread propaganda.
Why do we want to attack the ID proponents? It doesn't accomplish anything as can already be seen by the number of people who subscribe to the ID argument and the fact that they are winning cases in trying to get it taught in schools.
So don't you think that instead of attacking the proponents we should be persuading the adherants? The followers will feel attacked when you attack their leaders.
Do you think that an Enlightened masses will follow and ignorant movement? You can not enlighten people who see you as an enemy. Don't give the ID proponents any help in making you out to be the enemy or you just assist in your own defeat.

selfAdjoint said:
That, I think, is very close to what the Pope thinks. Of course the quantum physicists would respond to that that such an idea just means you haven't truly grokked the quantum principle but are still wandering in the hidden variable wilderness, And that wilderness was shown to be non productive (i.e. physically void) by the Bell theorem and the Aspect experiment (see quantum forum for many discussions).
Yes, the Catholic Church is pretty much neutral on the method of creating the universe, the Earth, and the human body. Whatever is discovered through scientific research is fine by them. Their stand is on the creation of the human soul. In other words, by whatever means the human body came about or however long it took, once it had developed, God took the next step and created a soul to occupy it.

About the only Genesis story the Catholic Church takes literally is the story of Adam and Eve. I'm not sure why they're so stuck on the details when the real issue is the idea of Original Sin. It's almost as if they're stuck between a rock and a hard place in that their choices are a) find a better story in the Bible that gets across the same message, b) update the Bible with a better story (somewhat scary to do, considering the Bible's status), or c) hang on to the story because it's the only one that gets across their message.

And Ivan's right about the 'quandary' quantum mechanics creates for the Catholic religion. Taken the right way (with Ivan's loophole), quantum mechanics just reinforce the idea that man can't become God, nor even completely understand how God works.

BobG said:
About the only Genesis story the Catholic Church takes literally is the story of Adam and Eve. I'm not sure why they're so stuck on the details when the real issue is the idea of Original Sin. It's almost as if they're stuck between a rock and a hard place in that their choices are a) find a better story in the Bible that gets across the same message, b) update the Bible with a better story (somewhat scary to do, considering the Bible's status), or c) hang on to the story because it's the only one that gets across their message.

The reason is Saint Paul. He contradicted the opinion of some rabbis of his day that death came into the world through disobedience to the Law by showing that the patriarchs who lived before the Law was given to Moses died just the same, and "where there is no Law there can be no disobedience".

In searching for another cause of death he hit on the disobedience of Adam to God's commandment not to eat of the tree. Thus the origin of original sin. The church has always parroted this and now they're stuck with it. They are obviously in total wagon-circling mode now, unable to give up even one minor practice for fear of some imagined slippery slope.

Tact is also useful in discussing real science. For instance when someone says something goofy on a thread here about manifold calculus, it is usually not helpful to retort that he/she would not recognize a tensor field if it bit them on the fanny, even if that seems likely.
My favorite website on the Kansas evolution situation is the following, devoted to the claims of the church of the flying spaghetti monster. They are suing Kansas for inclusion in the curriculum.
http://www.venganza.org/
A sample of their scientific reasoninjg follows:
"You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature."
The graph includes the interesting fact that in one recent year there were exactly 17 living pirates. they also offer t - shirts.

This is actually being debated in courts?

...Sad. ;_;

hey I'm from tennessee, you have no isdea how sad I feel. recall the scopes mess?

selfAdjoint said:

I don't see how "no hidden variables" rules out divine intervention. By definition a hidden variable must be a physical attribute. To me this would imply a clockwork universe; not reality as the manifest will of a supreme being.

Btw, I'm not saying that I believe this; only that the argument can be made.