Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino

In summary, the CKM matrix couples all up type quarks to all down type quarks (in particular u and s). There is no need to involve a charm quark.
Ai52487963

Homework Statement

Draw the lowest-order Feynman diagram for the decay: [tex]K^+ \rightarrow l^+\nu_l[/tex]

Homework Equations

Kaon structure is given as [tex]u\bar{s}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that you can get a lepton and an associated neutrino from a W decay, where the strange quark would flip over to a charm quark in the kaon. The question doesn't say there's a pion produced, though, only the lepton and neutrino. Is there an actual decay here that vaporizes the kaon completely into a lepton and neutrino without leaving the up quark just sitting around?

I drew a diagram (dunno how to represent in TeX) that shows a USbar going to a UCbar where the Sbar decays into a W+ which decays into a lepton and neutrino. Am I missing something? Does the UCbar go away or is it just ignored?

Physics news on Phys.org
If such a decay exists, then something needs to happen to the quarks to produce virtual particles other than the lepton and neutrino, and those virtual particles need to be used up in the process of making the end state products so that they too don't appear at the end (since they're virtual, after all). So try finding a more complicated internal set of interactions that accomplishes this.

The CKM matrix directly couples all up type quarks to all down type quarks (in particular u and s). There's no need to involve a charm quark.

fzero said:
The CKM matrix directly couples all up type quarks to all down type quarks (in particular u and s). There's no need to involve a charm quark.

I see. I was getting confused with a table I have as a reminder that: when you change particular flavor states (like from C to S or U to D) you emit a W+ and a W- for the reverse operation. I thought in order to go from like a U -> D, D -> C, C -> S you had to emit a W+ each time.

So the CKM matrix takes care of that?

Ai52487963 said:
I see. I was getting confused with a table I have as a reminder that: when you change particular flavor states (like from C to S or U to D) you emit a W+ and a W- for the reverse operation. I thought in order to go from like a U -> D, D -> C, C -> S you had to emit a W+ each time.

So the CKM matrix takes care of that?

By couple I mean there is a W involved. But there are direct couplings [itex]u\leftrightarrow d[/itex], [itex]u\leftrightarrow s[/itex], [itex]u\leftrightarrow b[/itex], as well as the analogous couplings for the other up type quarks.

This is usually explained in terms of the weak eigenstates not being diagonal in the mass eigenstates. Let [itex]u,c,t,d,s,b[/itex] be the mass eigenstates. Then the weak eigenstates are [itex]u,c,t,d',s',b'[/itex]. In terms of the CKM matrix [itex]V_{ij}[/itex], we can write

[tex] d' = V_{ud} d + V_{us} s + V_{ub}b.[/tex]

The couplings to the W bosons are of the schematic form

[tex] \bar{u} W d' = V_{ud} \bar{u} W d + V_{us}\bar{u} W s + V_{ub}\bar{u} W b.[/tex]

In particular, there will be a coupling between [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]\bar{s}[/itex] that depends on [itex] V_{su}^*[/itex].

1. What is Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino?

Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino is a type of particle decay in which a kaon particle, which is a type of meson composed of a quark and an anti-quark, decays into a lepton particle and an associated neutrino particle.

2. What are the types of lepton particles that can be produced in Kaon decay?

The types of lepton particles that can be produced in Kaon decay are electron, muon, and tau particles. Each type of lepton has an associated neutrino particle.

3. How does Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino occur?

Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino occurs through the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. In this process, the kaon particle decays into a lepton and an associated neutrino, while also releasing energy in the form of other particles.

4. What is the significance of studying Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino?

Studying Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It can also help us understand the nature of matter and antimatter, as kaons are made up of both a quark and an anti-quark.

5. How is Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino relevant in modern physics?

Kaon decay to a lepton and associated neutrino is relevant in modern physics because it has implications for theories such as the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle accelerators and medical imaging.