Is Astrology More Objective or Subjective in Assessing Individuals?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, there have been several recent astronomical events including Mars' closest approach to Earth in 60,000 years and red and green aurora displays as far south as Florida. More heavenly happenings are on the way, including a lunar eclipse, the Leonid meteor shower, and a total solar eclipse. Although a recent solar eruption was one of the most intense ever recorded, it was not aimed towards Earth. There is also a rare alignment of planets occurring, referred to as the "Star of David," which reflects a major growth in human consciousness. However, some members of the conversation expressed concerns about possible bad weather hindering their view of these events. Overall, there has been much excitement and discussion surrounding these astronomical occurrences.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sky watchers scrutinized Mars during its closest approach to Earth in 60,000 years this summer and were awed by red and green aurora displays as far south as Florida thanks to big explosions on the sun in recent weeks.

And now more heavenly happenings are on the way.

Saturday's lunar eclipse will be followed by the Leonid meteor shower, a total solar eclipse over the southern hemisphere -- and a chance for more auroras if the sun stays active. Another eruption Tuesday on the sun ranked among the most intense solar events ever recorded. But the explosion was aimed away from Earth, meaning it would have little impact here.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/11/06/lunar.eclipse.ap/index.html [Broken]

And some other astronomy news in the news of late.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8238
and
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7946

There has been so much going on lately that this all seemed worthy of a general discussion post FYI. The last solar flare was an historic event in astronomy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
in addition to all this news, tomorrow at 5:12PM PST, at the time of the lunar eclipse, 6 major planets will form the star of david - 6 perfect 30 degree angles to one another - a perfect "circle"...this event alone occurs once every 3000 years, and in conjunction with the lunar eclipse, there are worldwide "new age" celebrations/parties because this reflects a major growth in human consciousness...

to learn more about this event with the lunar eclipse go to:

www.astrosite.com

i also use:

www.celestialweather.com

I can already feel the rain clouds and bad weather forming... :frown:

Originally posted by Kerrie
in addition to all this news, tomorrow at 5:12PM PST, at the time of the lunar eclipse, 6 major planets will form the star of david - 6 perfect 30 degree angles to one another - a perfect "circle"...this event alone occurs once every 3000 years...

3000 years?! But it's called the "star of David", isn't it? Doesn't that refer to the same "star" that the astrologers followed to find Jesus, in the Gospel account? If so, there must be some error in the 3000 years, since Jesus was born just over 2000 years ago.

Originally posted by Mentat
3000 years?! But it's called the "star of David", isn't it? Doesn't that refer to the same "star" that the astrologers followed to find Jesus, in the Gospel account? If so, there must be some error in the 3000 years, since Jesus was born just over 2000 years ago.

this doesn't have to do with religion mentat...i suggest reading the links...

the star of david is merely the geometric shape the planets are forming to one another...for those who have an interest in sacred geometry, this is a harmonic event...aka harmonic concordance...

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
I can already feel the rain clouds and bad weather forming... :frown:

why are lunar eclipses and astronomical phenomena considered negative? the event tonight is actually considered to reflect a major growth in human consciousness...

why are lunar eclipses and astronomical phenomena considered negative? the event tonight is actually considered to reflect a major growth in human consciousness...
I can feel the rain clouds and bad weather coming too.. perfect timing to completely block the view of the celestial events. So it is not considered negative Kerrie, but the fact is that there are 200 rainy days per year in the Netherlands and that always seems to be on the wrong days..

So how do I know when to look out at the sky on the 9th to see the lunar eclipse??

Originally posted by Monique
So how do I know when to look out at the sky on the 9th to see the lunar eclipse??

Use the lunar eclipse computer (for you, Form B):

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/LunarEclipse.html [Broken]

2 am.. if it were 5, I would've been awake :P

Originally posted by Monique
I can feel the rain clouds and bad weather coming too.. perfect timing to completely block the view of the celestial events. So it is not considered negative Kerrie, but the fact is that there are 200 rainy days per year in the Netherlands and that always seems to be on the wrong days..

Monique understood my point... Everytime anything good happpens in the skies it seems to rain here in the UK. I missed the 1999 total eclipse (thick cloud) the superb Leonids meteor shower (thick cloud and then rain for the last two years) etc

I was in Norway during a major auroral display event a few years ago... But it was summer and didn't get dark! You had to be in Australia to see the Southern version!

Monique understood my point... Everytime anything good happpens in the skies it seems to rain here in the UK. I missed the 1999 total eclipse (thick cloud) the superb Leonids meteor shower (thick cloud and then rain for the last two years) etc

I was in Norway during a major auroral display event a few years ago... But it was summer and didn't get dark! You had to be in Australia to see the Southern version!
Yeah, sea climate huh? It is incredible how different a land climate is, in Michigan, when it used to rain.. it was just a front blowing over, blue sky : 5 min later a front of clouds approaches : 5 min all hell breaks loose, tons of water coming down : 5 min later, clouds start to break up : 5 min later, a perfect blue sky as if nothing ever happened. Here, if it rains, it will rain the whole day and the next day and the day before because of a depression..

I too missed the whole mars-at-its-closest-distance-to-earth thingie, and that lasted a few days!

i live in the pacific northwest and the skies tend to cloud up often, expecially during an event like this one...i got lucky this time however and was able to watch the shadow of the Earth move away from the moon just as my fiance & i were eating Vietnamese food in a romantic restaurant...:smile:

i live in the pacific northwest and the skies tend to cloud up often, expecially during an event like this one...i got lucky this time however and was able to watch the shadow of the Earth move away from the moon just as my fiance & i were eating Vietnamese food in a romantic restaurant...:smile:

I'm not at all jealous...

in addition to all this news, tomorrow at 5:12PM PST, at the time of the lunar eclipse, 6 major planets will form the star of david - 6 perfect 30 degree angles to one another - a perfect "circle"...this event alone occurs once every 3000 years, and in conjunction with the lunar eclipse, there are worldwide "new age" celebrations/parties because this reflects a major growth in human consciousness...

to learn more about this event with the lunar eclipse go to:

www.astrosite.com[/url][/B][/QUOTE] Or to learn more about how this is [i]NOT[/i] an event, go to: [url]http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/concordance.html[/URL]

Sorry, Kerrie.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Or to learn more about how this is NOT an event, go to: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/concordance.html

Sorry, Kerrie.

thanks russ, you forgot to mention that your link is entirely based on someone's opinion so that those people coming here to learn don't confuse it for fact no more then they confuse the traditional interpretations of astrology...

the star of david in conjunction with the lunar eclipse was however an event because 6 planet/toids did form this pattern in the sky whether you choose to believe your website over it or not...
:wink:

thanks russ, you forgot to mention that your link is entirely based on someone's opinion

Kerrie, the locations of the planets are fact, not opinion.

the star of david in conjunction with the lunar eclipse was however an event because 6 planet/toids did form this pattern in the sky whether you choose to believe your website over it or not...
:wink:

How do you know? Did you see them? (Hint: they weren't even all visible in the sky at the same time, so the answer is "no".)

The fact is that astronomers know where the planets are, and the page in question showed a plot of their locations:

http://www.badastronomy.com/pix/concordance_planets_small.jpg

If you want to consider that a "Star of David", that is your opinion, but the locations of the planets themselves is not a matter of opinion.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
If you want to consider that a "Star of David", that is your opinion, but the locations of the planets themselves is not a matter of opinion.
And that particular person has a high degree of respectability/credibility when it comes to astronomical matters.

In any case, I share the opinion that the fact that those six objects were roughly 60 degrees apart is vaguely interesting but far less interesting than a real alignment such as the eclipse. And it doesn't look anything like a star of David.

I don't intend to debate the validity of astrology here (I think you already know my opinion anyway). I just wanted to point out that this "concordance" is not considered an astronomical "event" by astronomers.

Last edited:
Here is the bad science [as usual] from bad astronomy.

So what's the problem? Ah, there is one, and it's a doozy. I only posted the longitude in that table. What about the latitude? In other words, this alignment really only works if the objects are all in the same plane. Otherwise, calling it a true alignment would be misleading, to say the least. So let's see. I'll add it as a third column:

Object Longitude Latitude
Sun 0.0 0.0
Moon 179.5 1.0
Mars 245.6 1.9
Jupiter 61.9 -1.0
Saturn 123.2 0.7
Chiron 298.2 -6.5

As you can see, the Moon and planets are within a couple of degrees of being in a plane. But oops! Chiron is off the plane, by over 6 degrees. That's not a huge amount, but it's significant. It's more than Mars' longitudinal offset, for example. In my opinion, Mars' and Chiron's positional offsets still keep this alignment in the "interesting" category, but it's hardly one that is perfect, or even great. But even so, there is still one deal-breaker in this idea...

Now from the Web page he references:
The astrological chart of that moment has a distinctive pattern, or "signature," which is visible even to the untrained eye. The astrological holograph that the moment projects is fundamentally spiritual in nature, and can be understood terms of Quantum Meta-Physics as well as by 'astro-spiritual' metaphor.

Did anyone say this was an astronomical event [in the scientific sense]? The BA author argues about issues that have nothing to do with the astrological interpretation. I can denounce physics by way of religious arguments just as easily; but it wouldn't mean much would it? The only reason the astronomical debunking appears to work is that the deeper interpretations of astrology are ignored and assumed to be bogus; therefore the argument is circular.

Last edited:
Kerrie, the locations of the planets are fact, not opinion.

How do you know? Did you see them? (Hint: they weren't even all visible in the sky at the same time, so the answer is "no".)

The fact is that astronomers know where the planets are, and the page in question showed a plot of their locations:

http://www.badastronomy.com/pix/concordance_planets_small.jpg

yes, the locations of the planets are fact, and professional astrologists (not the ones who write newspaper horoscopes) use what is called an ephemeris-an atlas to the where the planets are in the sky...thus, their interpretations are based on astronomical fact...

a link to an ephemeris:
2003 ephemeris

i would suggest you do some objective research on how true astrologists work, instead of lumping them as psuedo-science freaks...i merely wanted to share some information i thought was interesting, and instead i get bombarded by those who are advocating science as the only way-ironically like a religious fundamentalist...

And that particular person has a high degree of respectability/credibility when it comes to astronomical matters.

In any case, I share the opinion that the fact that those six objects were roughly 60 degrees apart is vaguely interesting but far less interesting than a real alignment such as the eclipse. And it doesn't look anything like a star of David.

I don't intend to debate the validity of astrology here (I think you already know my opinion anyway). I just wanted to point out that this "concordance" is not considered an astronomical "event" by astronomers.

i agree that astronomers don't consider this an event as much as the eclipse, but don't offer an apology of debunking my attempt to share this coincidence when i know you aren't sorry

yes, the locations of the planets are fact, and professional astrologists (not the ones who write newspaper horoscopes) use what is called an ephemeris-an atlas to the where the planets are in the sky

Like I said, you are welcome to "interpret" the locations of the planets as a "Star of David", but if you actually look at their orbital configuration, few would agree that it does look like a Star of David. Did you look at their orbital configuration (or a diagram of it) yourself?

...thus, their interpretations are based on astronomical fact...

i would suggest you do some objective research on how true astrologists work, instead of lumping them as psuedo-science freaks...

But they are psuedoscientists. It doesn't matter how much real data you use if your theory is wrong. I can use astronomical facts to make all kinds of interpretations, but that doesn't make the interpretations right.

I would suggest you do some objective research on how true astrologists work, starting with studies of the legitimacy and accuracy of their predictions. Remember to read the psychological literature, such as the phenomenon of subjective validation. When you've got some hard evidence, then you might have a basis for making suggestions like that.

i merely wanted to share some information i thought was interesting, and instead i get bombarded by those who are advocating science as the only way-ironically like a religious fundamentalist...

Oh, don't even start with the "science is religion" nonsense. Nobody said anything of the sort.

...i merely wanted to share some information i thought was interesting, and instead i get bombarded by those who are advocating science as the only way-ironically like a religious fundamentalist...

This is a poor shot Kerrie. By all means argue your case and try to persuade us that Astrology is valid, but insults won't help your cause.

Most Physicists consider it to be utter rubbish and really couldn't be bothered to research it (like I'm not in the slightest bit interested in researching whether or not Aliens live on Mars), so please, put up a valid argument and some of us will at least listen. But comparing us to fundamentalist Christians... !

This is a poor shot Kerrie. By all means argue your case and try to persuade us that Astrology is valid, but insults won't help your cause.

Most Physicists consider it to be utter rubbish and really couldn't be bothered to research it (like I'm not in the slightest bit interested in researching whether or not Aliens live on Mars), so please, put up a valid argument and some of us will at least listen. But comparing us to fundamentalist Christians... !

is it though? i offered some data interesting to a few but get bombarded by those who are "defending" science?

you probably are fairly new here as i have talked a lot about astrology when we had the mystics forum, and was able to show some skeptics what astrology truly is...however, since ivan began this thread as something else, i won't get into it...if you like, begin a thread in ivan's forum and i will be happy to enlighten you on some facts you probably would have never learned from reading your daily horoscope in the paper (something an educated astrologist does not advocate)

ambi~

But they are psuedoscientists. It doesn't matter how much real data you use if your theory is wrong. I can use astronomical facts to make all kinds of interpretations, but that doesn't make the interpretations right.

i am not advocating the interpretations are fact, i am advocating the placements of the planets are fact and astrololgists base their interpretations on those placements...

i would be happy to debate astrology here for the 5th time in the 2-1/2 years since i have been in this forum...but it needs to be a separate topic

I would suggest you do some objective research on how true astrologists work, starting with studies of the legitimacy and accuracy of their predictions. Remember to read the psychological literature, such as the phenomenon of subjective validation. When you've got some hard evidence, then you might have a basis for making suggestions like that

ambi, you are definitely new here...i have studied astrology on many levels for 12 years...before making these claims, i would suggest you know what you are talking about...

i am not advocating the interpretations are fact, i am advocating the placements of the planets are fact and astrololgists base their interpretations on those placements...

The BadAstronomy.com article in question was about the placements of the planets, and you called it "opinion".

ambi, you are definitely new here...i have studied astrology on many levels for 12 years...

That doesn't mean you have any objective evidence in its favor.

i agree that astronomers don't consider this an event as much as the eclipse, but don't offer an apology of debunking my attempt to share this coincidence when i know you aren't sorry
No, what I was sorry about was the argument I knew this would cause, not about debunking astrology. But I felt it important to point out for the uninformed that the concordence is not an astronomical event but an astrological one. I (and clearly others) feel that distinction to be significant.

As far as the resulting argument - its all been done before. Here is me letting it go...

The BadAstronomy.com article in question was about the placements of the planets, and you called it "opinion".

That doesn't mean you have any objective evidence in its favor.

did you read the link? the author gives his opinion completely on it:

I think the people who may or will participate in this (non) event have their heart in the right place. And who knows? Maybe a big show of peace will do some good. It did for many great people in the past. But the premise for this is wrong. If we're going to strive for peace, the least we can do is work for the right reasons. Astrology is not the right reason, and this little bit of Bad Astronomy is really not the right reason. The Universe is a wondrous place, filled with beauty, elegance, and, yes, a geometric and physical symmetry that is very appealing to our nature as humans. That is a good reason to work for peace. Everyone deserves a chance to experience this beauty.

i don't think you did...

and i am positive i have MUCH more objective evidence then you do in favor of astrology...care for me to interpret your natal chart[?] :wink:

and i am positive i have MUCH more objective evidence then you do in favor of astrology...care for me to interpret your natal chart[?] :wink:
Different issue, but I'd be interested in your interpreting my "natal chart" (I don't even know what that is, but I'm always curious). Perhaps a new thread?

Kerrie, I don't think you understood Ambitwistor's initial objection, which was:

Like he said, it doesn't matter how much data you have in favor of astrology, and it doesn't matter that you have studied astrology for 12 years or that he is new here. Astrology is pseudoscience, simple as that. We already saw that when you did chroot's natal chart and he gave you feedback on the results. Astrology is the sort of "theory" that is right...except when it isn't. That is, when astrology gives the right result, it is taken as a confirmation. When it does not give the right result, the astrologist backs off and says, "Ah, but see, astrology only makes statements about tendencies." Succinctly put, the basic logical structure of its predictions is the schema "p OR ~p".

That is, it is a tautology, and therefore unfalsifiable, and therefore pseudoscience.

edit: fixed an italics bracket

Tom~

We already saw that when you did chroot's natal chart and he gave you feedback on the results

yes, we were hearing warren's assesment of himself, does that make it objective or subjective?

When it does not give the right result, the astrologist backs off and says, "Ah, but see, astrology only makes statements about tendencies."

yes, because astrologists know that free will intervenes...astrology doesn't claim to have the answers or be scientific as a whole, only the placements of the planets are the facts that astrologists base their interpretations on, and those are subjective...

i brought up the point that ambi was new and i had studied astrology for 12 years because i tend to get this attitude from those who claim astrology is crap yet these are the ones who have read opinions of others instead of learning for themselves...

i am done here, if anyone would like to hear some real information on it, feel free to begin a topic and i will be happy to talk more about it...

Different issue, but I'd be interested in your interpreting my "natal chart" (I don't even know what that is, but I'm always curious). Perhaps a new thread?

i would be happy to in a thread or pm...i appreciate your sincere interest russ...

yes, we were hearing warren's assesment of himself, does that make it objective or subjective?

What a weaselly answer. If you're going to claim that he cannot objectively assess himself, then on what basis can we claim that astrologers can? Why is their judgement of him more credible than his own?

"Sorry Warren, I know you think that this natal chart interpretation is wrong, but believe me, it's really right --- you just don't know it." This is the kind of tautology Tom is speaking of. On what independent basis may we conclude that such an interpretation is accurate or not?

yes, because astrologists know that free will intervenes...astrology doesn't claim to have the answers or be scientific as a whole, only the placements of the planets are the facts that astrologists base their interpretations on, and those are subjective...

If you're going to claim instead that astrologers' interpretations are subjective (and what happened to objective evidence for astrology?), then on what basis can you claim that they represent reality?

i brought up the point that ambi was new and i had studied astrology for 12 years because i tend to get this attitude from those who claim astrology is crap yet these are the ones who have read opinions of others instead of learning for themselves...

I've read studies of astrology. None of them indicated that it worked. If you want to claim otherwise, it's up to you to prove it.

(But how are you going to prove it? You offered to do a natal chart interpretation, but then you claimed that if someone disagrees with your interpretation, they're wrong because their opinion is subjective! So what is that going to prove to anybody?)

Anyway, as you note, this is a better discussion for the skepticism forum.