Keep your eyes to the skies

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/11/06/lunar.eclipse.ap/index.html

And some other astronomy news in the news of late.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8238
    and
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7946

There has been so much going on lately that this all seemed worthy of a general discussion post FYI. The last solar flare was an historic event in astronomy.

2. jcsd
  3. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

in addition to all this news, tomorrow at 5:12PM PST, at the time of the lunar eclipse, 6 major planets will form the star of david - 6 perfect 30 degree angles to one another - a perfect "circle"...this event alone occurs once every 3000 years, and in conjunction with the lunar eclipse, there are worldwide "new age" celebrations/parties because this reflects a major growth in human consciousness...

to learn more about this event with the lunar eclipse go to:

www.astrosite.com

i also use:

www.celestialweather.com

4. I can already feel the rain clouds and bad weather forming..... :frown:

5. 3000 years?! But it's called the "star of David", isn't it? Doesn't that refer to the same "star" that the astrologers followed to find Jesus, in the Gospel account? If so, there must be some error in the 3000 years, since Jesus was born just over 2000 years ago.

6. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

this doesn't have to do with religion mentat...i suggest reading the links...

the star of david is merely the geometric shape the planets are forming to one another...for those who have an interest in sacred geometry, this is a harmonic event...aka harmonic concordance...

7. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

why are lunar eclipses and astronomical phenomena considered negative? the event tonight is actually considered to reflect a major growth in human consciousness...

8. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can feel the rain clouds and bad weather coming too.. perfect timing to completely block the view of the celestial events. So it is not considered negative Kerrie, but the fact is that there are 200 rainy days per year in the Netherlands and that always seems to be on the wrong days..

9. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So how do I know when to look out at the sky on the 9th to see the lunar eclipse??

10. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2 am.. if it were 5, I would've been awake :P

11. Monique understood my point.... Everytime anything good happpens in the skies it seems to rain here in the UK. I missed the 1999 total eclipse (thick cloud) the superb Leonids meteor shower (thick cloud and then rain for the last two years) etc

I was in Norway during a major auroral display event a few years ago...... But it was summer and didn't get dark! You had to be in Australia to see the Southern version!

12. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, sea climate huh? It is incredible how different a land climate is, in Michigan, when it used to rain.. it was just a front blowing over, blue sky : 5 min later a front of clouds approaches : 5 min all hell breaks loose, tons of water coming down : 5 min later, clouds start to break up : 5 min later, a perfect blue sky as if nothing ever happened. Here, if it rains, it will rain the whole day and the next day and the day before because of a depression..

I too missed the whole mars-at-its-closest-distance-to-earth thingie, and that lasted a few days!

13. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i live in the pacific northwest and the skies tend to cloud up often, expecially during an event like this one...i got lucky this time however and was able to watch the shadow of the earth move away from the moon just as my fiance & i were eating Vietnamese food in a romantic restaurant...:smile:

14. I'm not at all jealous.......

15. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Or to learn more about how this is NOT an event, go to: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/concordance.html

Sorry, Kerrie.

16. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

thanks russ, you forgot to mention that your link is entirely based on someone's opinion so that those people coming here to learn don't confuse it for fact no more then they confuse the traditional interpretations of astrology...

the star of david in conjunction with the lunar eclipse was however an event because 6 planet/toids did form this pattern in the sky whether you choose to believe your website over it or not...
    :wink:

17. Kerrie, the locations of the planets are fact, not opinion.

How do you know? Did you see them? (Hint: they weren't even all visible in the sky at the same time, so the answer is "no".)

The fact is that astronomers know where the planets are, and the page in question showed a plot of their locations:

http://www.badastronomy.com/pix/concordance_planets_small.jpg

If you want to consider that a "Star of David", that is your opinion, but the locations of the planets themselves is not a matter of opinion.

18. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And that particular person has a high degree of respectability/credibility when it comes to astronomical matters.

In any case, I share the opinion that the fact that those six objects were roughly 60 degrees apart is vaguely interesting but far less interesting than a real alignment such as the eclipse. And it doesn't look anything like a star of David.

I don't intend to debate the validity of astrology here (I think you already know my opinion anyway). I just wanted to point out that this "concordance" is not considered an astronomical "event" by astronomers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  19. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the bad science [as usual] from bad astronomy.

Now from the Web page he references:
    Did anyone say this was an astronomical event [in the scientific sense]? The BA author argues about issues that have nothing to do with the astrological interpretation. I can denounce physics by way of religious arguments just as easily; but it wouldn't mean much would it? The only reason the astronomical debunking appears to work is that the deeper interpretations of astrology are ignored and assumed to be bogus; therefore the argument is circular.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  20. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

yes, the locations of the planets are fact, and professional astrologists (not the ones who write newspaper horoscopes) use what is called an ephemeris-an atlas to the where the planets are in the sky...thus, their interpretations are based on astronomical fact...

a link to an ephemeris:
    2003 ephemeris

i would suggest you do some objective research on how true astrologists work, instead of lumping them as psuedo-science freaks...i merely wanted to share some information i thought was interesting, and instead i get bombarded by those who are advocating science as the only way-ironically like a religious fundamentalist...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?