Keeping cool in summer

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have an air conditioner running and also 3 powerful portable fans on me

at 12 oclock, 4 oclock and 8 oclock 3 ways if u know what i mean.

Do these portable fans add too much extra heat into the room to make them inefficient and an air conditioner on its own more efficient?

Answers and Replies

Somewhere I heard that a fan alone vs. an air conditioner (with the same ft3/min capacity?) uses an average 1% of the electricity that the latter does.

Is the electricity used comparable to the amount of heat a fan produces?

like the analogy of leaving the fridge door open and the the room gets hotter.

berkeman
Mentor
Most modern portable room fans are efficient enough that they will not add significant heat to the room. Using the fans plus the air conditioner will keep you the coolest.

Leaving a fridge door open surely cant make your room hotter...doesnt a fridge make air inside of it as cool as the amount of air heated up round the back of one q(system)=q(surroundings)

Yes, a fridge will heat up a room. If you want it to cool the room, build it into the wall so the heat exchanger coils project out into someone else's room.

Mwhaha the perfect crime :)

russ_watters
Mentor
I'm having deja vu - I think we had this precise question within the past month and the same people answered it the same way!

russ_watters
Mentor
Leaving a fridge door open surely cant make your room hotter...doesnt a fridge make air inside of it as cool as the amount of air heated up round the back of one q(system)=q(surroundings)
A fridge or air conditioner moves a certain amount of heat from one coil to another. To do that, it uses a compressor which adds some heat to the refrigerant, making the hot coil hotter than the cold coil is cold. In other words, yes, leaving your fridge door open will warm up your house.

my dad says fridges dont cool they just suck the hot air out of the fridge through coils

If i have fan 1 metre in front of me and 1 metre behind me will they repel eachother or will they still cool me?

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If i have fan 1 metre in front of me and 1 metre behind me will they repel eachother or will they still cool me?
Try it. Tell us what you learn.

IMP
If you have a fan blowing on you and the humidity is 100%, it does no good at all. If you run the A/C, it will cool the air and remove humidity. Removing the humidity makes the fan cool you off by evaporation. I think you can turn the A/C up a little higher and have a fan blowing on you. This is more efficient than just turning the A/C down.

IMP
From personal experience: I can turn the A/C to about 72 degrees and feel comfortable, or I can turn the A/C to 75 degrees with a fan blowing on me and feel about the same comfort.
Texas is hot, and it all about getting rid of the humidity. Fans work great if you can get the humidity down...