Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keeping cool in summer

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    I have an air conditioner running and also 3 powerful portable fans on me

at 12 oclock, 4 oclock and 8 oclock 3 ways if u know what i mean.

Do these portable fans add too much extra heat into the room to make them inefficient and an air conditioner on its own more efficient?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    Somewhere I heard that a fan alone vs. an air conditioner (with the same ft3/min capacity?) uses an average 1% of the electricity that the latter does.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    Is the electricity used comparable to the amount of heat a fan produces?

like the analogy of leaving the fridge door open and the the room gets hotter.

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Most modern portable room fans are efficient enough that they will not add significant heat to the room. Using the fans plus the air conditioner will keep you the coolest.

6. Sep 29, 2007 #5
    Leaving a fridge door open surely cant make your room hotter...doesnt a fridge make air inside of it as cool as the amount of air heated up round the back of one q(system)=q(surroundings)

7. Sep 29, 2007 #6
    Yes, a fridge will heat up a room. If you want it to cool the room, build it into the wall so the heat exchanger coils project out into someone else's room.

8. Sep 29, 2007 #7
    Mwhaha the perfect crime :)

9. Sep 30, 2007 #8

russ_watters

I'm having deja vu - I think we had this precise question within the past month and the same people answered it the same way!

10. Sep 30, 2007 #9

russ_watters

A fridge or air conditioner moves a certain amount of heat from one coil to another. To do that, it uses a compressor which adds some heat to the refrigerant, making the hot coil hotter than the cold coil is cold. In other words, yes, leaving your fridge door open will warm up your house.

11. Sep 30, 2007 #10
    my dad says fridges dont cool they just suck the hot air out of the fridge through coils

12. Sep 30, 2007 #11
    If i have fan 1 metre in front of me and 1 metre behind me will they repel eachother or will they still cool me?

13. Sep 30, 2007 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try it. Tell us what you learn.

14. Oct 1, 2007 #13

IMP

If you have a fan blowing on you and the humidity is 100%, it does no good at all. If you run the A/C, it will cool the air and remove humidity. Removing the humidity makes the fan cool you off by evaporation. I think you can turn the A/C up a little higher and have a fan blowing on you. This is more efficient than just turning the A/C down.

15. Oct 1, 2007 #14

IMP

From personal experience: I can turn the A/C to about 72 degrees and feel comfortable, or I can turn the A/C to 75 degrees with a fan blowing on me and feel about the same comfort.
    Texas is hot, and it all about getting rid of the humidity. Fans work great if you can get the humidity down...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?