Kepler's Third Law and a comet

In summary, to obtain the index error of a sextant when taking the sun's measurement, one can use the sun's diameter on the arc and off the arc. This method allows for a more accurate determination of the index error.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

Suppose that a comet that was seen in 545 A.D. by Chinese astronomers was spotted again in year 1937. Assume the time between observations is the period of the comet and take its eccentricity as 0.11. What are (a) the semimajor axis of the comet's orbit and (b) its greatest distance from the Sun?

Homework Equations

Kepler's Third Law
T2= [(4pi2)/(GM)]* a3
G = 6.67e-11
Me = 5.98e24

The Attempt at a Solution

part a:
T = 1937-545 = 1392 (365d*24h*3600s) = 4.38e10 sec
e = 0.11

T2= [(4pi2)/(GM)]* a3
solve for a
a = [T2*[(GM)/(4pi2)]](1/3)
a = [(4.38e10)2*[(6.67e-11*5.98e24)/(4pi2)]](1/3)
a= 2.69e11 m

Part b:
Ra = a + ea
solve for Ra with e and a... but I can't find the correct a in first part of question

Whats going on, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the Earth's mass - you should be using the sun's mass.

phyzguy said:
You used the Earth's mass - you should be using the sun's mass.

:face palm:

Thanks so much.

In what way kepler's law affects the motion of the Earth when it goes round the sun.
wil kepler's law apply to man-made satellites also. If so why?

In what way kepler's law affects the motion of the Earth when it goes round the sun.
wil kepler's law apply to man-made satellites also. If so why?

Well, Kepler's Laws describe any light particle orbiting a very heavy body. So Earth's orbit about the sun follows Kepler's Laws, as do the orbits of satellites about Earth. Does that answer your question?

well ... thanks for your answer about the relation between kepler's law and satellites but could you be more specific, coz its a 30marks question and i need a kind of detailed explanation...

I won't write your essay for you. For general information on Kepler's Laws, see Wikipedia or your textbook. If you have any specific questions after doing some research, I'm all ears.

How would you obtain the index error of the sextant of the sun "by using its diameter on the arc and off the arc".
kindly give ans. appropriately, coz i know how to just obtain the index error of the sun by using a sextant.

1. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This law relates the distance of a planet from the sun to its orbital period.

2. How does Kepler's Third Law apply to comets?

Kepler's Third Law can also be applied to comets, which are small, icy bodies that orbit the sun. Just like planets, comets follow elliptical paths around the sun and their orbital periods can be calculated using this law.

3. What information can be determined from Kepler's Third Law and a comet's orbit?

By using Kepler's Third Law and observing a comet's orbital period, scientists can calculate the comet's distance from the sun. This information can be used to track the comet's path and make predictions about its future movements.

4. How did Kepler's Third Law contribute to our understanding of the solar system?

Kepler's Third Law was a major breakthrough in understanding the structure of the solar system. It helped to establish the heliocentric model, which states that the sun is at the center of the solar system and the planets orbit around it in elliptical paths.

5. Can Kepler's Third Law be used to study other objects in the universe?

Yes, Kepler's Third Law can be applied to any object that orbits another object in space, including moons, asteroids, and even binary star systems. It has been a fundamental tool in studying the dynamics of the universe and has contributed greatly to our understanding of celestial bodies.