Kids of the new decades moving beyond science clubbing continuum

In summary, the author is confused about the slogan for the new science education campaign and asks for help. According to the website, the slogan has been changed to "Science Clubbing DNA: Decoding science. Nullifying fiction. Amplifying action.".
ikos9lives
First off, hi everyone! This is my first post because I just found these forums (by Googling "Physics forums" in hopes of finding a good forum to ask science questions, specifically physics!). Anyway, I received a text message from a friend who is a teacher in grade school and was not sure how to answer it other than to say I really can't do anything about it.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it here and then link the thread to the person who sent me text message.

Here it is. Any input would be appreciated.

How do you interpret the theme "Kids of the new decades moving beyond science clubbing continuum"? Please provide example. What is a good slogan for this theme?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the heck is clubbing continuum supposed to mean?

Its a viral ad campaign and this tard is a trolling spammer. We needs banning torpedo in the water

Office_Shredder said:
I didn't know either. I couldn’t find a good answer on google.

Office_Shredder said:

I think it's science/clubbing continuum. On one end, you have science, on the other you have going out to clubs. The more you go out to clubs, the less science you learn, the more science you learn, the less you go out to clubs.

Apparently, somebody wants to argue that there are science students that go to clubs, as well as some college students that neither learn science nor go to clubs.

Apparently the slogan is the Philippine Dept. of Education's science theme of the year and it is being spammed all over the 'net. I can't make heads or tails of what this slogan is supposed to mean. Different way of thinking or teaching? I don't know.

Perhaps the question would perhaps better phrased as "Some mindless education department bureaucrat foisted this goofy slogan on us. Please don't tell us to choose a better slogan; we are stuck with it. How can we make the best of a bad situation?"

Good question.

Ok, so the statement is that kids no longer have to choose between going to the club or doing science. Obviously the poster kid would be someone in a club drinking moonshine he made out of a chemistry beaker

For me, "science clubbing" brings up images of great brutality. I envision wild-eyed children with bats chasing helpless baby-seal-like researchers, who trip over their lab coats and shatter beakers as they try desperately to flee.

I'm relieved that kids of the new decades have recognized the inherent cruelty of this activity and are now moving beyond it. Perhaps this "continuum" is a series of workshops intended to educate people from older decades who still cling to the violent traditions.

Anyway, from what I have read at the http://www.psysc.org/" , the slogan was changed:

As we have previously posted,
“An errata has been submitted to the National DepEd stating:
… the theme “Kids of the New Decade: Moving Beyond the Science Clubbing Continuum” was changed to “Science Clubbing DNA: Decoding science. Nullifying fiction. Amplifying action.”. ”

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Someone thought that was actually better.

I guess that "Science Clubs: You Know, There Are Other Things You Could Be Doing With Your Time" was shot down pretty quickly.

Given the spamming of the 'net with the old slogan, not everyone in the Philippines got the message. That this doesn't make much sense to us is probably a cultural difference between the Philippines and the western world. Apparently the "science clubbing continuum" refers to the (rather narrow?) types of activities performed in science clubs in the Philippines -- they want to branch out.

"science clubbing continuum" :uhh: I'm sure a lot is lost in translation, or maybe not.

It sounds so über-nerdy. :biggrin:

Isn't English one of the official languages of the country?

Office_Shredder said:
Isn't English one of the official languages of the country?
Filipino (official; based on Tagalog) and English (official); eight major dialects - Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon or Ilonggo, Bicol, Waray, Pampango, and Pangasinan
Ref: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rp.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "science clubbing continuum"?

The science clubbing continuum refers to the spectrum of activities and experiences that children engage in to learn about and explore science. This can range from attending structured science clubs or classes to participating in hands-on experiments and projects at home or in school.

2. How are kids of the new decade moving beyond the science clubbing continuum?

Kids of the new decade are increasingly using technology and digital tools to explore science beyond the traditional science clubbing continuum. They have access to a vast array of online resources, such as virtual labs, interactive simulations, and educational videos, which allow them to learn and experiment in new and innovative ways.

3. What are some examples of activities that kids are engaging in to move beyond the science clubbing continuum?

Some examples of activities that kids are engaging in to move beyond the science clubbing continuum include coding and programming, participating in citizen science projects, using 3D printing and other maker tools, and collaborating with other young scientists through online communities and forums.

4. Why is it important for kids to move beyond the science clubbing continuum?

Moving beyond the science clubbing continuum allows kids to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity skills. It also exposes them to a wider range of scientific concepts and topics, and encourages them to think outside the box and explore their own interests and curiosities.

5. How can parents and educators support kids in moving beyond the science clubbing continuum?

Parents and educators can support kids in moving beyond the science clubbing continuum by providing access to technology and digital resources, encouraging hands-on experimentation and exploration, and fostering a curiosity-driven mindset. It is also important to create a safe and supportive learning environment where kids feel comfortable taking risks and making mistakes in their pursuit of scientific knowledge.