Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kids of the new decades moving beyond science clubbing continuum

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    First off, hi everyone! This is my first post because I just found these forums (by Googling "Physics forums" in hopes of finding a good forum to ask science questions, specifically physics!). Anyway, I received a text message from a friend who is a teacher in grade school and was not sure how to answer it other than to say I really can't do anything about it.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it here and then link the thread to the person who sent me text message.

Here it is. Any input would be appreciated.

How do you interpret the theme "Kids of the new decades moving beyond science clubbing continuum"? Please provide example. What is a good slogan for this theme?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the heck is clubbing continuum supposed to mean?

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Its a viral ad campaign and this tard is a trolling spammer. We needs banning torpedo in the water

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4
    I didn't know either. I couldn’t find a good answer on google.

6. Sep 4, 2010 #5
    I think it's science/clubbing continuum. On one end, you have science, on the other you have going out to clubs. The more you go out to clubs, the less science you learn, the more science you learn, the less you go out to clubs.

Apparently, somebody wants to argue that there are science students that go to clubs, as well as some college students that neither learn science nor go to clubs.

7. Sep 4, 2010 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently the slogan is the Philippine Dept. of Education's science theme of the year and it is being spammed all over the 'net. I can't make heads or tails of what this slogan is supposed to mean. Different way of thinking or teaching? I don't know.

Perhaps the question would perhaps better phrased as "Some mindless education department bureaucrat foisted this goofy slogan on us. Please don't tell us to choose a better slogan; we are stuck with it. How can we make the best of a bad situation?"

Good question.

8. Sep 4, 2010 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, so the statement is that kids no longer have to choose between going to the club or doing science. Obviously the poster kid would be someone in a club drinking moonshine he made out of a chemistry beaker

9. Sep 4, 2010 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, "science clubbing" brings up images of great brutality. I envision wild-eyed children with bats chasing helpless baby-seal-like researchers, who trip over their lab coats and shatter beakers as they try desperately to flee.

I'm relieved that kids of the new decades have recognized the inherent cruelty of this activity and are now moving beyond it. Perhaps this "continuum" is a series of workshops intended to educate people from older decades who still cling to the violent traditions.

Anyway, from what I have read at the http://www.psysc.org/" [Broken], the slogan was changed:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Sep 4, 2010 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lol. Someone thought that was actually better.

11. Sep 4, 2010 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess that "Science Clubs: You Know, There Are Other Things You Could Be Doing With Your Time" was shot down pretty quickly.

12. Sep 4, 2010 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given the spamming of the 'net with the old slogan, not everyone in the Philippines got the message. That this doesn't make much sense to us is probably a cultural difference between the Philippines and the western world. Apparently the "science clubbing continuum" refers to the (rather narrow?) types of activities performed in science clubs in the Philippines -- they want to branch out.

13. Sep 4, 2010 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

"science clubbing continuum" :uhh: I'm sure a lot is lost in translation, or maybe not.

It sounds so über-nerdy. :biggrin:

14. Sep 4, 2010 #13

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't English one of the official languages of the country?

15. Sep 4, 2010 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook