Can a generator safely handle full load amps at different power factors?

• Thread starter Josh111
  • Start date
In summary, the synchronous, brushless (not permenant magnet) generator has the following ratings: 3 phase brushless alternator, with a rating of 24 Kw and 30 KVA, and a power factor of 0.8. If a resistive load with a power factor of 1.00 is applied, the killowatt is 30 and the killovoltamps is also 30.
Josh111
We have a synchronous, brushless (not permenant magnet) generator with the following ratings:

3 phase brushless alternator
Model TFW-24
Volt 120/208
Frequency 60 Hz.
Phase 3
KW (P) 24
KVA 30
Power Factor (Cos) 0.8
Insulation class B
Protection Type IP21
Rat S1
Standard JB/T3320-1 2000

If a load with a power factor of 0.8 is applied and the nameplate full load current is drawn, The killowatt is 24 and the killovoltamp is 30. (corresponding exactly to nameplate ratings)
(Since KW = I * E *1.73 * PF and KVA = I * E * 1.73)
or in this case: 24Kw = 83 * 208 * 1.73 * 0.8 and
30KVA = 83 * 208 * 1.73

However if a resistive load with a power factor of 1.00 is applied and the nameplate full load current is drawn, The killowatt is 30 and the killovoltamps is also 30. (Killowatt rating is 125% of nameplate rating while current is at nameplate rating.)
Since KW = I * E *1.73 * PF and KVA = I * E * 1.73
or in this case: 30Kw = 83 * 208 * 1.73 * 1.00 and
30Kva = 83 * 208 * 1.73

Can the generator handle nameplate full load amps without overheating in both situations described above regardless of the fact that the nameplate killowatt rating is overreached when a resistive load is applied?

From what I understand a generator's power factor rating is how low the power factor the load can go at full load amps, and although it is uncommon that it is needed, load power factors can be lower but the load amperage will need to be lowered to prevent overheating of the generator stator. This leads me to believe that if the power factor of a load is 1.00 it can run at full load amperage, which as shown in the above calculations is 125% of rated killowatt. Please let me know if this is wrong.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, Does this synchronous generator have a permanent magnet rotor, or does the armature have windings and slip rings?
The generator has two ratings. One is the maximum current in the stator windings, which relates to the volt-amp rating. The second is related to the maximum power output, which is related to the maximum mechanical torque that can be applied to the input shaft at synchronous RPM (torque x 2 pi x rpm/60 = watts). I would stick to the 24 KW and the 30 KVA nameplate ratings.

Bob S said:
First, Does this synchronous generator have a permanent magnet rotor, or does the armature have windings and slip rings?
The generator has two ratings. One is the maximum current in the stator windings, which relates to the volt-amp rating. The second is related to the maximum power output, which is related to the maximum mechanical torque that can be applied to the input shaft at synchronous RPM (torque x 2 pi x rpm/60 = watts). I would stick to the 24 KW and the 30 KVA nameplate ratings.

The generator is a brushless type (not permanent magnet rotor.)

My question is that at a power factor of 1 should the KVA or KW rating be used? At full load amps the KW is overloaded with a power cfactor of 1 as described earlier.

In practice, volt-amps is used to measure apparent power, and watts is used to measure real power.

This is because when you buy power, you are buying real power. It is common practice to measure just voltage and current (RMS values) when simple benchmarking or testing an electrical machine as being able to measure power factor or phase difference requires more complex equipment.

KVA is basically a limit on the current in the stator winding. The KW rating is a limit on the input mechanical torque, and associated mechanical stresses, in the alternator.
I am not familiar with the Tawasi brand. See
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/248152419/BRUSHLESS_SYNCHRONOUS_ALTERNATOR.html
As long as the unit is under warranty, I would not exceed nameplate specifications, for either KVA or KW..

What is the difference between Killowatt and Killovoltamp?

Kilowatt (kW) and kilovoltamp (kVA) are both units of power. The main difference between the two is that kilowatt measures the actual power consumed by a device, while kilovoltamp measures the apparent power drawn by a device. This means that kilowatt takes into account the power factor of the device, while kilovoltamp does not.

Which unit should be used to measure the power of an electrical device?

It is generally recommended to use kilowatt (kW) to measure the power of an electrical device, as it takes into account the power factor and gives a more accurate representation of the actual power consumed. However, kilovoltamp (kVA) may be used in certain situations, such as when dealing with large industrial equipment.

How do you convert kilowatt to kilovoltamp?

Kilowatt and kilovoltamp are not directly convertible units, as they measure different aspects of power. Kilowatt is a measure of actual power consumed, while kilovoltamp is a measure of apparent power. The conversion between the two depends on the power factor of the device, which can vary. Generally, the formula for converting kilowatt to kilovoltamp is: kVA = kW / (power factor).

Why is kilowatt used in residential and commercial electricity bills instead of kilovoltamp?

As mentioned before, kilowatt takes into account the power factor of a device, giving a more accurate representation of the actual power consumed. This is important for electricity billing, as it ensures that customers are only charged for the power they actually use. Kilovoltamp, on the other hand, does not take into account the power factor and may result in overcharging.

Is one unit of power more important than the other?

Both kilowatt and kilovoltamp have their own significance in the measurement of power. Kilowatt is important for determining the actual power consumed by a device, while kilovoltamp is important for determining the capacity of a device and its ability to handle electrical load. Both units are equally important and should be used in the appropriate context.