Is a 15 A Circuit Breaker Capable of Handling 10.6 A Maximum Current?

• Thread starter cseet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the circuit breaker is rated for a current of 15 A rms at a voltage of 120 V rms. The largest value of I(max) that the breaker can carry is 10.6A and the average power that can be supplied by this circuit is 1.8kW. The correct calculation for I(max) is 15(rms) * square root of 2. It is important to note that the maximum current cannot be lower than the average current.
cseet
A circuit breaker is rated for a current of 15 A rms at a voltage of 120 V rms. Answer the following questions:
All answers must have three significant digits unless otherwise specified.

1) What is the largest value of I(max) that the breaker can carry? (Unit: A)

answer:

I(max) = 15(rms) / square root of 2
= 10.6A

2) What average power can be supplied by this circuit? (Unit: kW)

P(rms) = I (rms) * V (rms)
= 1.80 kW

pls correct me if I was wrong and pls direct me to the right path...
thanks
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
Argh, stupid me.

I(max) = 15(rms) / square root of 2 is not correct, it should be:
I(max) = 15(rms) * square root of 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Hi chen,

what about the 2nd answer? is it correct?

thanks
cseet

Yes, 1.8kW. By the way, you could have noticed that your first answer is wrong because the maximum current cannot be lower than the average current. :smile:

Thanks Chen... I see that now...
you have a good day
cseet

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to kindly check my physics answers?

The purpose of asking someone to kindly check your physics answers is to ensure that your understanding of the subject is accurate and to identify any mistakes you may have made.

2. How can I find someone who is knowledgeable in physics to check my answers?

You can find someone knowledgeable in physics by asking your teacher, a classmate, or a tutor for help. You can also post your question online in forums or reach out to a physicist for assistance.

3. Is it considered cheating to ask someone to check my physics answers?

No, it is not considered cheating as long as you are not copying someone else's work or asking them to do the work for you. Asking for help and clarification is a normal part of the learning process.

4. How do I make sure that the person checking my physics answers is giving me accurate feedback?

You can ensure that the feedback you are receiving is accurate by asking for explanations and reasoning behind any corrections or suggestions. It is also helpful to cross-reference the feedback with reliable sources or consult with multiple people for a well-rounded understanding.

5. Can I trust the person checking my physics answers to keep my work confidential?

If you are concerned about confidentiality, it is important to discuss this with the person before asking them to check your answers. You can also ask them to only provide feedback and not share your work with anyone else without your permission.