Kinematic Momentum: Is Mass x Volume Correct?

In summary, in a conversation about momentum, the term "kinematic momentum" was mentioned and described as the product of mass and volume. However, upon further research, it was found that this term is also referred to as mechanical or kinetic momentum. The conversation ends with a confirmation that this is likely a typo and a link to the wiki article on kinetic momentum.
cmmcnamara
Hey I just wanted to check with y'all, but I feel I'm fairly well acquainted with momentum and the rules surrounding it, but in brushing up I began reading the wiki article on it. In the generalized momentum section I came across the term kinematic momentum described as mass times volume. Although I am not familiar with that term nor terribly fluent in analytic mechanics, I found that description odd of mass times volume. Can anyone confirm for me whether this is a typo or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should give the links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum#Generalized_momentum
the product of mass and volume is also referred to as mechanical, kinetic or kinematic momentum

Looks like a typo to me. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_momentum
the kinetic momentum is the momentum

03bd7352b4e2d7a6ae957ea006521095.png

of a charged particle of mass m and velocity v moving in an electromagnetic field.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is kinematic momentum?

Kinematic momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a measure of the quantity of motion an object possesses.

2. Is mass x velocity the correct formula for kinematic momentum?

Yes, mass x velocity is the correct formula for kinematic momentum. It is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity.

3. Can kinematic momentum be negative?

Yes, kinematic momentum can be negative. If an object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity, its momentum will be negative.

4. How is kinematic momentum different from linear momentum?

Kinematic momentum is a type of linear momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. However, kinematic momentum specifically refers to the momentum of an object in a linear motion, while linear momentum can also apply to rotational motion.

5. How is kinematic momentum used in science?

Kinematic momentum is used in various areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is an important concept in understanding the motion of objects and is often used in calculations and experiments.