How Do You Calculate the Total Distance Traveled by a Car with Variable Speeds?

In summary, to calculate the traveled length of a car, you must first find the acceleration in each time period (10 seconds and 3 seconds). In the first period, the acceleration is 1.9 m/s^2 and in the third period, the deacceleration is -6.47 m/s^2. Then, using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2, you can find the traveled distance for each individual time period. The total traveled distance for the car is equal to 95 meters for the first period, 213.4 meters for the second period, and 9.7 meters for the third period, resulting in a total distance of 336.1 meters. However, it should
Hoejer

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the traveled length of a car.

A traveling car with a acceleration from 0 m/s to 19.4 m/s in 10 sec. From there it has a speed of 19.4 m/s for 11 sec. After the 21 sec. the car hit the brakes, and deaccelerates to 0m/s in 3 sec.

Homework Equations

s=-1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the acceleration in the to periods first

Acceleration = 19.4/10sec = 1.9 m/s^2
Deacceleration = -19.4/3sec. = -6-47 m/s^2

The I want to divide the traveled length for each individual timeperiod.

The first period (10 s) is = 1/2 * 1.9 * 10^2 = 95 meters
Seceond period (11 s) is = 19.4*11 = 213.4 meters
Third period (3 s) = -1/2*-6.47*3 = 9.7 meters

Travelled distance in all = 95+213.4+9.7 = 336.1 meters.

Is this correct?!

And yes I'm new here, so hello to everyone. Hope this can help me be better at phys/maths. I'm starting engineering soon, so I better get this handled!

Physics news on Phys.org
The complete equation is [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex].
For the first time period u=0 so your result looks ok, but for the third the initial velocity is u=19.4m/s which you havn't taken into consideration.

Isn't that given in the deacceleration?

Deacceleration = -19.4/3sec. = -6-47 m/s^2 ?

Otherwise a hint would be cool!

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of motion with consideration of the forces causing the motion.

2. What are the three fundamental kinematic quantities?

The three fundamental kinematic quantities are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the change in position, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

3. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in real life to study and understand the motion of objects, such as the movement of cars on the road or the flight of airplanes. It is also used in sports to analyze the movements of athletes and in engineering to design and optimize machines and structures.

4. What is Newton's first law of motion and how does it relate to dynamics?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. This law relates to dynamics as it explains the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion.

5. How does gravity affect kinematics?

Gravity is a force that acts on objects and affects their motion. It causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth, which is why the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects in free fall all follow specific equations. Therefore, gravity plays a significant role in determining the kinematics of objects.