Calculating the Speed of a Space Shuttle After 55.2 Seconds

In summary: I got 2975.28 m/s, but I am not sure if that is correct.In summary, the space shuttle undergoes an acceleration of 53.9 m/s^2. At the end of 55.2 seconds, it is traveling at a speed of 2975.28 m/s.
Goopy17

Homework Statement

The space shuttle undergoes an acceleration of 53.9 m/s^2. How fast is it traveling at the end of 55.2 s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue. I am doing a summer assignment and it is very poorly explained by the teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Goopy17 said:

Homework Statement

The space shuttle undergoes an acceleration of 53.9 m/s^2. How fast is it traveling at the end of 55.2 s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue. I am doing a summer assignment and it is very poorly explained by the teacher.

Are you familiar with equations summarising motion with constant acceleration?
An example of the set is

v = u + at
s = ut + (1/2).a.t^2
s = vt - (1/2).a.t^2
v^2 = u^2 +2as
s = [(u+v)/2]*t

some people/texts use different symbols

What is u? v is velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time, but what is u?

Goopy17 said:
What is u? v is velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time, but what is u?

u is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity [like in the alphabet u comes before v]

s is displacement

with those symbols you don't need subscripts on the letters

Could you help me work it out?

What is the value for initial velocity?
V= 53.9 m/s^2
A= 53.9m/s^2
T= 55.2s
S= ?
I got distance as 2975.28 but I don't know if that is correct

Or are we looking for velocity?

Goopy17 said:
Could you help me work it out?

Firstly you identify the value of the three properties you know - like u = 0

Then you identify which variable you are trying to find. That part is easy. You find the question mark in the question, then move back through the text until you find the previous punctuation mark. Then you read the words between that punctuation mark and the question mark.

You then choose the equation that connects those 4 variables, substitute and solve.

So we are looking for speed, right?

I got 2975.28 m/s, but I am not sure if that is correct.

Goopy17 said:

Which formula did you use?

Goopy17 said:
So we are looking for speed, right?

Given that we have u = initial speed, & v = final speed you should be more specific, but yes we are looking for speed.

Goopy17 said:

Why were you not sure it was correct?

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds?

The formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time, or speed = distance / time. In this case, we would need to know the distance traveled by the space shuttle in 55.2 seconds in order to calculate its speed.

How do we measure the time elapsed for calculating the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds?

The time elapsed can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. It is important to start the timer at the exact moment the space shuttle begins moving and stop it after 55.2 seconds have passed.

Why is it important to calculate the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds?

Calculating the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds allows us to understand how fast the shuttle is traveling and how quickly it is covering a certain distance. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the space shuttle's journey.

What other factors should be considered when calculating the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds?

Other factors that may affect the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds include acceleration, deceleration, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors may need to be taken into account when making precise calculations.

How can the speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds be used for future space missions?

The speed of a space shuttle after 55.2 seconds can be used to determine the average speed of the shuttle throughout its journey and can also be used for trajectory calculations and mission planning for future space missions.