What is the distance the backpacker walked east?

In summary, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.34 m/s, due west, for a total distance of 6.44 km. She then turns around and walks with an average velocity of 0.447 m/s, due east. Using the equation for average velocity, we can solve for the distance walked in the east direction, which is approximately 0.81 km.
Coney

Homework Statement

10. In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.34 m/s, due west. This average velocity results because she hikes for 6.44 km with an average velocity of 2.68 m/s, due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.447 m/s, due east. How far east did she walk?
(Cutnell, John D.. Physics, 8th Edition. John Wiley & Sons, 012009. p. 53).
<vbk:9780470458754#page(53)>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2.68 m/s2 = 6.44 km/tw
.447 m/s2 = De/te
Avg V = (X - X0)/(t - t0)

The answer is 0.81 km, but I can't figure out how to solve this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this prob we have to use concept of avg velocity and its formula avg velocity =total distance by total time.1st convert all kms into metres and use the equation 1.34=6440-x/2400+x/0.447 where x is distance traveled in east.solve x and you will get x=.81 approx.Now you can head for my question

i got 2400=6440/2.68

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Can you break it down a bit more and maybe format better? I can't tell if you are saying 1.34 = [(6440-x)/(2400+x)]/0.447 or 6440 - (x/2400) + (x/0.447) or some other variation

I M SAYING 1.34=6440-x/[2400+x/0.447]

What is kinematics in one dimension?

Kinematics in one dimension is the study of motion of an object along a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the cause of the motion.

What is a frame of reference in kinematics?

A frame of reference is a system of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of an object. It can be either stationary or moving, but it is important to have a consistent frame of reference in order to accurately measure an object's motion.

What is displacement in kinematics?

Displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its original position. It is a vector quantity and is often represented by the symbol "Δx" (pronounced delta-x).

What is velocity in kinematics?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity and is often represented by the symbol "v". It includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

What is acceleration in kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity and is often represented by the symbol "a". It describes how quickly an object's velocity is changing and in what direction.