Calculating Soccer Ball's Speed at Goalie's Catch

In summary, a soccer player kicks a ball towards a goal 16.8 m away with a speed of 16.0 m/s and an angle of 28.0 degrees. To find the speed of the ball when the goalie catches it, the x and y components of the velocity are calculated using trigonometry. The time the ball is in the air is found using the horizontal distance and velocity. Then, using the acceleration due to gravity and the initial y velocity, the final y velocity is calculated. Finally, the total velocity is found by combining the x and y components using Pythagorean theorem.
whyorwhynot

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks the ball toward a goal that is 16.8 m in front of him. The ball leaves his foot at a speed of 16.0 m/s and an angle of 28.0 degrees above the ground. Find the speed of the ball when the goalie catches it in front of the net.

Homework Equations

x = vt
x = Vot+(1/2)at2
Vf2=Vo2+ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Vx = (cos 28)(16.0) = 14.1 m/s
Vy = (sin 28) (16.0) = 7.5 m/s

Horizontal
x = 16.8 m
V = 14.1 m/s

Vertical
a = -9.8 m/s2
Vyo = 0 m/s
(V = 7.5 m/s?)

I'm stuck as to where I should go from there or even if I started out correctly.
If you can assist me, I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have started well. First you want to find how long the ball is in the air for.
There is no acceleration in the x plane so the x speed will remain the same.
So you can find the time using only the x parameters.

However the final speed of the ball will depend on x and y velocities.
You will now have:

t
ay
vyinitial

use [tex] v_{final} = v_{initial} + at [/tex]

solve for v final y component.
Then use pythagoras to find total speed (combining x and y components).

Thank you for replying.

I'm still a bit puzzled though, but if I understood correctly, this is what I did:

x = vt
(16.8 m) = (14.1 m/s)t
t=16.8 m/14.1
t= 1.2 s

Vf2 = Vo + at
Vf = (7.5 m/s) + (-9.8 m/s2)(1.2 s)
Vf = -4.3 m/s

I don't understand what to use pythagoreas for though.

Please bear with me. I'm not very good at word problems :(

Well now you have y velocity and the x velocity so you want to combine them to total velocity.

[tex] \sqrt{-4.3^2 + 14.1^2} [/tex]

it makes a right angled triangle when you think about it, because x and y are perpendicular to each other, so the line that joins them (total velocity) is the hypotenuse.

Oh ok, yeah it is the hypotenuse.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space, considering both their speed and direction.

2. How is kinematics in two dimensions different from kinematics in one dimension?

Kinematics in two dimensions involves the analysis of motion in both the x and y directions, while kinematics in one dimension only considers motion in a single direction.

3. What are the basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions?

The basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions, as well as the Pythagorean theorem for calculating the magnitude of the resultant vector.

4. How is projectile motion related to kinematics in two dimensions?

Projectile motion is a type of motion that involves objects moving through the air or space under the influence of gravity and no other forces. It is closely related to kinematics in two dimensions, as it involves analyzing the motion of an object in both the x and y directions simultaneously.

5. What are some real-life applications of kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions has many real-life applications, including predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, and understanding the flight of birds and other animals.