Kinematics kangaroo jump question

In summary, a kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.8m and returns to the ground. The time it takes for the kangaroo to complete its jump is found by using the formula D=VT, where D is the displacement and V is the velocity (or acceleration). The velocity is not the same as gravity, which is an acceleration. The velocity of the kangaroo will be 0 at the peak of its jump. The total time for the jump is double the time it takes to fall from the peak to the ground. To fully understand and solve this problem, one must have a good understanding of the concepts and equations of motion.
Intr3pid
a kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.8m. how long was it in the air before returning to earth.

I'm clueless on how to solve it. can someone help me please?

thanks in advance

d=2.8m
a= -9.8 m/s^2 (since it's going the opposite direction of gravity, right?)

i was wondering how you search for time with only these 2 quantities.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is the formula D=VT.

Since you are trying to solve for T you just manipulate the formula to look like T= D/V.
Then just plug in your numbers. Oh also, just incase you didn't know Velocity is the same thing as gravity. Hope this helps.

EDIT:eek:ops... don't listen to my post.

Last edited:
No keita, that is not how you solve that problem. Velocity is not the same as gravity. "Gravity" is an acceleration, not a velocity.

Intr3pid : Have you studied the equations of motion ? Any of them ring a bell ?

Gokul43201 said:
No keita, that is not how you solve that problem. Velocity is not the same as gravity. "Gravity" is an acceleration, not a velocity.

Intr3pid : Have you studied the equations of motion ? Any of them ring a bell ?

thanks for suggestion, i already solved the problem!

d=1/2at^2, since the initial velocity is 0!

man i rattled my brain for a while trying to figure it out.

Intr3pid - If you solved it the way I think you did, think about it again. First off, if the initial velocity were zero, it would never leave the ground. Secondly, remember that for the entire trip, the displacement is 0.

Now - the answer I think you have is related to the proper answer. Where during the kangaroo's trip will the velocity actually be 0? If you can answer that one, you should see an easy way to get the full answer to your question.

Diane_ said:
Intr3pid - If you solved it the way I think you did, think about it again. First off, if the initial velocity were zero, it would never leave the ground. Secondly, remember that for the entire trip, the displacement is 0.

Now - the answer I think you have is related to the proper answer. Where during the kangaroo's trip will the velocity actually be 0? If you can answer that one, you should see an easy way to get the full answer to your question.

sorry, i don't really get what you're saying. and my answer was wrong from the answers in the text.

Well, since it seems you've already checked it...

The place where the kangaroo's velocity would be zero would be at the peak - the top of the arc. If you used g = 9.80 m/s^2 and s = 2.8m, what you found was the time for it to fall from the peak back to the ground. Symmetry arguments would tell you that this is exactly half of the time for the total trip - both up and down.

Don't be discouraged by this. It takes a little time to start seeing problems like this in terms of the physical models used in kinematics. Mostly, you need to concentrate on what the concepts (such as displacement vs. distance, velocity vs. speed, and so on) actually mean and how those meanings are represented in the mathematical models you're building in class.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion.

2. How does a kangaroo jump?

A kangaroo jumps by using its large and powerful hind legs to propel itself into the air. It also uses its tail as a counterbalance to maintain balance and control its direction.

3. What is the maximum height a kangaroo can jump?

The maximum height a kangaroo can jump varies depending on the species, but on average it can reach heights of up to 3 meters (9.8 feet).

4. How fast can a kangaroo jump?

The speed at which a kangaroo can jump also varies depending on the species, but on average it can reach speeds of up to 40 km/h (25 mph).

5. What factors affect a kangaroo's jumping ability?

The size and strength of a kangaroo's hind legs, its overall body size and weight, and the surface it is jumping on are some of the factors that can affect a kangaroo's jumping ability.