Kinematics Question: Child on Trampoline Jump Height Calculation

• Thread starter Gurvir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the child on the trampoline reached a height of 11 meters after jumping straight up and remaining in the air for 1.5 seconds. The formula used was d = 1/2(9.81m/s^2)(1.5s)^2. For the second conversation, the truck's initial velocity was calculated to be 210 m/s [W] before decelerating at 5.00m/s^2 for 30 seconds and reaching a velocity of 60m/s [W]. The formula used was vi = 60m/s + (5.00m/s)(30.0s).
Gurvir

Homework Statement

A child on a trampoline remains in the air for 1.5s after having jumped straight up. What height did the child reach?

Homework Equations

All kinematics equations
I was thinking of using Net Force but we don't have the mass and if you use it how could you find displacement.

The Attempt at a Solution

d = vit + 1/2at2
vi= 0
So:
d= 1/2at2
d = 1/2(9.81m/s2)(1.5s)2
d= 11m

The answer is suppose to be 2.8m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time given is the total time in the air. So what's the time it took to reach the highest point?

Doc Al said:
The time given is the total time in the air. So what's the time it took to reach the highest point?

Half of that which is 0.75s, and wow. There it is, simplest question. Thanks man!

Omg I keep getting stuck on these questions, kinematics is so easy but I can't remember anything. Check back I will have a new question posted in 1min.

Homework Statement

A truck uniformly decelerates by 5.00m/s2 to a velocity of 60.0m/s [W] in 30.0s. What was the truck's initial velocity before the driver stepped on the brakes?

Homework Equations

All kinematics equations
I'm looking for an equation but I don't have distance so I can't figure one out that will work. The closest forumla I could maybe see working is
vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure.

(EDIT)

Found it:

Solution

a = Δv / Δt
a = vf - vi / Δt

Rearrange it and you get this
vi = 60m/s -at

Put in the variables
vi = 60m/s - (-5.00m/s)(30.0s)
vi = 60m/s + (5.00m/s)(30.0s)

Answer:
vi = 210 m/s [W]

Last edited:
Looks good!

Based on the numbers you quote the result is correct, but then it sure is one fast truck. If I were you I would double check that the given numbers are correctly taken from the problem text.

Filip Larsen said:
Based on the numbers you quote the result is correct, but then it sure is one fast truck. If I were you I would double check that the given numbers are correctly taken from the problem text.
Yes, the numbers are comically unrealistic. Worth checking that you copied the problem correctly, but it's also not unusual for problems to use unrealistic data. (Unfortunately.)

Doc Al said:
Yes, the numbers are comically unrealistic. Worth checking that you copied the problem correctly, but it's also not unusual for problems to use unrealistic data. (Unfortunately.)

i guess I am just lucky, my textbook uses realistic numbers, it even has a textblock on the side that says they're all realistic =]..

and yes, that's an insanely fast truck xD

Related to Kinematics Question: Child on Trampoline Jump Height Calculation

1. What is simple kinematics?

Simple kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves in a straight line or along a curved path.

2. What are the basic equations used in simple kinematics?

The basic equations used in simple kinematics are the equations of motion, which include:
- Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
- Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
- Acceleration equation: a = (v - v0) / t
- Time equation: t = (v - v0) / a
Where x is the position, x0 is the initial position, v is the velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. How is simple kinematics different from other branches of kinematics?

Simple kinematics focuses on the motion of objects along a straight line or curved path, while other branches of kinematics may involve studying the motion of objects in more complex situations, such as circular motion or motion in a 3D space.

4. What are some real-life applications of simple kinematics?

Simple kinematics can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car, determining the speed of a moving object, or predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It is also used in fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports to analyze and improve the motion of objects.

5. How can simple kinematics be used to solve problems?

To solve problems using simple kinematics, you need to identify the given quantities, such as initial and final positions, velocities, accelerations, and time. Then, you can use the appropriate equation(s) to calculate the unknown quantity. It is important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the calculations.