Where Do the Rocks Meet in a Kinematics Problem?

• Thread starter mrlucky0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the question posed is about two men dropping and throwing rocks from a building and at what height the rocks meet. There is some confusion about the initial velocity of the thrown rock and how it affects the meeting height. However, the solution assumes that the rocks meet halfway through their flight time and that there is only one solution for the initial velocity of the thrown rock. The question is deemed to be poorly worded by one of the individuals in the conversation.
mrlucky0
One man drops a rock from a 100 m building. At exactly the same moment, a second man throws a rock from the bottom of the building to the top of the building. At what height do the rocks meet?

I have trouble understanding how there can even be an answer to this problem without more info:

Doesn't the initial vertical velocity of the thrown rock need to be known?! Surely the height at which the rocks meet will be different than if the thrown rock is thrown upwards at 100 m/s (lower) or 1000 m/s (higher) right? Am I to make an assumption here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to know the velocity that the person throws the rock up. However, you can ASSUME it's thrown with a velocity, v, and solve for the height that they meet, assuming they do meet.

Pengwuino said:
Yes, you need to know the velocity that the person throws the rock up. However, you can ASSUME it's thrown with a velocity, v, and solve for the height that they meet, assuming they do meet.

Yes. In looking at the solution, they assumed that the rocks meet exactly halfway through their flight. Interestingly this is also the time when the thrown rock reaches it's max height.

Hmm that's weird, there must be something missing in the question that would lead you to calculate that they would meet half way...

Pengwuino said:
Hmm that's weird, there must be something missing in the question that would lead you to calculate that they would meet half way...

Oops, I meant to say, they assumed they meet halfway through their flight time. The result here is that for any height, the thrown rock always travels 3x more than the dropped rock, so in this case 75m and 25m respectively. Does that sound right?

Anyway, it's just one of the "combinations," 1/2*t and 1/2*t. The way I see it, there are endless combinations of flight times that would chance their meeting height, depending on the initial speed of thrown rock.

I just think this is a poor question.

There's nothing missing. The energy from the bottom-up rock should be exactly enough to propel it to that height. The up-bottom rock is or should not be thrown with a initial speed, just let go. In that case, if I interpreted the problem correctly (which is usually a more complicated problem than a physical one) there is only one solution.

Lok said:
There's nothing missing. The energy from the bottom-up rock should be exactly enough to propel it to that height. The up-bottom rock is or should not be thrown with a initial speed, just let go. In that case, if I interpreted the problem correctly (which is usually a more complicated problem than a physical one) there is only one solution.

Oh good point, I didn't think of that! You're saying that there is only one initial velocity for the bottom-up rock to be thrown such that it just reaches the top of the building.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of motion.

2. What is the MCAT?

The MCAT, or Medical College Admission Test, is a standardized exam required for admission to medical school in the United States and Canada. It assesses knowledge and skills in areas such as biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, and critical thinking.

3. What types of problems are typically found on the Kinematics section of the MCAT?

The Kinematics section of the MCAT typically includes problems involving one- and two-dimensional motion, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and the equations of motion.

4. How can I prepare for Kinematics problems on the MCAT?

To prepare for Kinematics problems on the MCAT, it is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and equations, as well as plenty of practice solving problems. Reviewing past MCAT questions and utilizing study resources such as textbooks, practice tests, and online tutorials can also be helpful.

5. What strategies can I use to solve Kinematics problems quickly on the MCAT?

To solve Kinematics problems quickly on the MCAT, it can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts, identify known and unknown variables, and use relevant equations to find the solution. It is also important to carefully read the question and pay attention to units and significant figures.