Kinematics of a gliding object

• Thread starter suchara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the student attempted to find the velocity of a gliding object with an initial thrust-velocity of V after time t by integrating the lift equation and substituting in u=-g+av^2. However, they got stuck on the unknown v^2 in the lift equation.
suchara

Homework Statement

Finding the velocity of a gliding object with an initial thrust-velocity of V after time t.
Constants are:-
g: gravity
a: constant for angle of attack, lift coefficient, air density and wing-area

Homework Equations

[tex]L \propto a*V^2[/tex]
acceleration = v (dv/dt)
V is the airspeed of the object

The Attempt at a Solution

I know lift is a force and has an acceleration. So thinking of Lift in terms of velocity-dependant acceleration and only focusing on Vy

acceleration = -g + a*v^2
[tex]v (dv/dt) = -g + a*v^2 [/tex]
[tex]dv/dt = -g/v + a*v [/tex]
[tex]dv/((-g/v) + a*v) = dt[/tex]

[tex]\int_{v_0}^v dv/(-g/v + a*v) = \int_{0}^t dt[/tex]

I haven't done integration in a long time.. also I am confused about the notation
Heres the equation I get
[tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v (g*ln((a*v^2)-g) + a*v^2)/(a*v^2) = t [/tex]
After this.. I am unsure on how to proceed further

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing your integral as
[tex]\int_{v_0}^v \frac{v}{-g+av^2}dv[/tex]
Then substitute in u=-g+av^2

Tomsk said:
Try writing your integral as
[tex]\int_{v_0}^v \frac{v}{-g+av^2}dv[/tex]
Then substitute in u=-g+av^2

thanks for the reply.. after integrating that i get [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v \frac{ln(a*v^2+g)} {(2*a)} = t [/tex] ..which looks a lot more workable, but is the integration correct?
and how do i proceed from here for coming up with a v = v0(t) equation? (i.e. a "Vf= Vi+at" -type equation where given an initial velocity I can come up with a velocity after time t)
Im not asking about the actual math involved.. I am just unsure as to what this:- " [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v[/tex] " notation means, since it will determine the initial equation i need to simplify
I tried the following way but..

1) [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v \frac{ln(a*v^2+g)} {(2*a)} = t [/tex]

2) [tex] (v-v0) ( \frac{ln(a*v^2+g)} {(2*a)}) = t [/tex]

3) [tex] (v-v0) = \frac{t*2*a} {ln(a*v^2+g)} [/tex]

4) [tex] v = v0 + \frac{t*2*a} {ln(a*v^2+g)} [/tex]

I get stuck again since I have an unknown [tex]v^2[/tex] in the fraction on the right side.. should i try another method from step 2 onwards or is the step wrong to begin with?

Last edited:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

2. What is a gliding object?

A gliding object is any object that moves through the air with a continuous motion, without the use of an engine or propellers. Examples include gliders, airplanes, and birds.

3. What factors affect the kinematics of a gliding object?

The kinematics of a gliding object are affected by its initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also play a role.

4. How is the kinematics of a gliding object calculated?

The kinematics of a gliding object can be calculated using equations from classical mechanics, specifically those related to projectile motion. These equations take into account the initial conditions and the forces acting on the object.

5. What is the significance of studying the kinematics of a gliding object?

Studying the kinematics of a gliding object can help us understand the fundamental principles of motion and how different variables affect an object's trajectory. This knowledge is important for designing and improving gliding technologies, as well as predicting and controlling the flight of gliding objects.