1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of a gliding object

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Finding the velocity of a gliding object with an initial thrust-velocity of V after time t.
    Constants are:-
    g: gravity
    a: constant for angle of attack, lift coefficient, air density and wing-area

2. Relevant equations

[tex]L \propto a*V^2[/tex]
    acceleration = v (dv/dt)
    V is the airspeed of the object

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know lift is a force and has an acceleration. So thinking of Lift in terms of velocity-dependant acceleration and only focusing on Vy

acceleration = -g + a*v^2
    [tex]v (dv/dt) = -g + a*v^2 [/tex]
    [tex]dv/dt = -g/v + a*v [/tex]
    [tex]dv/((-g/v) + a*v) = dt[/tex]

[tex]\int_{v_0}^v dv/(-g/v + a*v) = \int_{0}^t dt[/tex]

I havent done integration in a long time.. also Im confused about the notation
    Heres the equation I get
    [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v (g*ln((a*v^2)-g) + a*v^2)/(a*v^2) = t [/tex]
    After this.. Im unsure on how to proceed further

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2
    Try writing your integral as
    [tex]\int_{v_0}^v \frac{v}{-g+av^2}dv[/tex]
    Then substitute in u=-g+av^2

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    thanks for the reply.. after integrating that i get [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v \frac{ln(a*v^2+g)} {(2*a)} = t [/tex] ..which looks a lot more workable, but is the integration correct?
    and how do i proceed from here for coming up with a v = v0(t) equation? (i.e. a "Vf= Vi+at" -type equation where given an initial velocity I can come up with a velocity after time t)
    Im not asking about the actual math involved.. im just unsure as to what this:- " [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v[/tex] " notation means, since it will determine the initial equation i need to simplify
    I tried the following way but..

1) [tex]\Big|_{v_0}^v \frac{ln(a*v^2+g)} {(2*a)} = t [/tex]

2) [tex] (v-v0) ( \frac{ln(a*v^2+g)} {(2*a)}) = t [/tex]

3) [tex] (v-v0) = \frac{t*2*a} {ln(a*v^2+g)} [/tex]

4) [tex] v = v0 + \frac{t*2*a} {ln(a*v^2+g)} [/tex]

I get stuck again since I have an unknown [tex]v^2[/tex] in the fraction on the right side.. should i try another method from step 2 onwards or is the step wrong to begin with?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook