Kinematics of deformation (Continuum mechanics)

In summary: Next, let's consider a differential position vector between two material points that are initially oriented in the ##\theta## polar coordinate direction: $$\mathbf{dX}=(Rd{\theta})\mathbf{i_{\theta}}$$In terms of f(R,t), what is the differential position vector between this same pair of material points at time t?
Jinjolee
Homework Statement
Calculating the deformation gradient, velocity field and acceleration field of a cavity motion
Relevant Equations
F=grad(x)
J=det(F)
v=dx/dt
A=dv/dt
Question is extracted from "Ellad B Tadmor, Ronald E Miller, Ryan S Elliott - Continuum mechanics and thermodynamics From fundamental concepts to governing equations".
I just got stuck at part (a). I think if part(a) is solved, I may be able to do the other parts.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 171
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

Chestermiller said:
What have you done so far?
I tried to do grad(x) = $$grad(\frac {f(R,t)}{R} X)$$
and by product rules:
=$$\frac{f(R,t)}{R} ∇X + X ⋅ ∇(\frac {f(R,t)}{R})$$
If I am correct, ∇X should be I, so
=$$\frac{f(R,t)}{R} I + X ⋅ ∇(\frac {f(R,t)}{R})$$
This is by far what I have done.

Let's try this a little differently. Suppose, in the initial configuration, you have two material points at R and R+dR connected by a differential position vector $$\mathbf{dX}=dR\mathbf{i_r}$$ In terms of f(R,t), what is the differential position vector between these same two material points at time t?

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Let's try this a little differently. Suppose, in the initial configuration, you have two material points at R and R+dR connected by a differential position vector $$\mathbf{dX}=dR\mathbf{i_r}$$ In terms of f(R,t), what is the differential position vector between these same two material points at time t?
I this it should apply $$dx=x(X+dX)-x(X)$$
But I am not sure about the answer. Is it$$\frac{f(R+dR{\mathbf{i_r}},t)}{R+dR\mathbf{i_r}}(R\mathbf{i_r}+dR\mathbf{i_r})-\frac{f(R,t)}{R}R\mathbf{i_r}$$?

Jinjolee said:
I this it should apply $$dx=x(X+dX)-x(X)$$
But I am not sure about the answer. Is it$$\frac{f(R+dR{\mathbf{i_r}},t)}{R+dR\mathbf{i_r}}(R\mathbf{i_r}+dR\mathbf{i_r})-\frac{f(R,t)}{R}R\mathbf{i_r}$$?
No. You may be overthinking it. The quantity ##\frac{\mathbf{X}}{R}## is the unit vector in the radial spherical coordinate direction ##\mathbf{i_r}## (which is constant). So the differential position vector between the same two material points at time t is $$\mathbf{dx}=\mathbf{i_r}df=\frac{\partial f}{\partial R}(\mathbf{i_r}dR)$$What does that tell you about the r-r component of the deformation gradient tensor ##\mathbf{F}##?
Next, let's consider a differential position vector between two material points that are initially oriented in the ##\theta## polar coordinate direction: $$\mathbf{dX}=(Rd{\theta})\mathbf{i_{\theta}}$$In terms of f(R,t), what is the differential position vector between this same pair of material points at time t?

Last edited:

1. What is kinematics of deformation in continuum mechanics?

Kinematics of deformation is the study of how a material or body changes shape and size in response to applied forces or loads. It involves analyzing the motion and displacement of particles or points within the material as it deforms.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear deformation?

Linear deformation refers to small deformations that can be described by Hooke's law, where the relationship between stress and strain is linear. Nonlinear deformation, on the other hand, involves large deformations that do not follow Hooke's law and may exhibit complex behaviors such as buckling or plastic deformation.

3. How is deformation measured in continuum mechanics?

Deformation is typically measured using strain, which is the ratio of the change in length or size of a material to its original length or size. Strain can be expressed as a scalar or a tensor, depending on the complexity of the deformation.

4. What is the significance of stress in kinematics of deformation?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces within a material that resist deformation. It is an important factor in understanding how a material will respond to external loads and how it will deform. Stress can be expressed as a scalar or a tensor, similar to strain.

5. How do boundary conditions affect deformation in continuum mechanics?

Boundary conditions are constraints placed on a material at its boundaries or interfaces, such as fixed or free boundaries. These conditions can significantly affect the deformation of a material and must be considered when analyzing the kinematics of deformation in continuum mechanics.