Solving Kinematics Problem: Integrate for x,v,a @ t=3s

In summary, the particle moves along a straight line with acceleration 2\sqrt{v}, where v is the velocity given by dx/dt. At t = 2s, the particle is at x = (64/3)m and has a velocity of 16m/s. To find the location and acceleration at t = 3s, the differential equation dv/dt = 2\sqrt{v} is used to integrate and find the constants.
naggy
A particle moves along a straight line with accel. a = 2[tex]\sqrt{v}[/tex] where v = [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] is the velocity. At t = 2s, the particle is located at x= (64/3)m with velocity v = 16m/s. Find the location and acceleration at time t = 3s (hint: integrate)

Now, if the differential equation is dv/dt = 2[tex]\sqrt{v}[/tex]. I don´t know how to solve such an equatoin (because of the square root). But then I thought v must be constant for the integration to work, but that would mean that the acceleration would be zero and that makes no sense. I need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I figured it out as soon as I clicked submit post.

dv over the sqrt(v) = 2dt

No w8, this makes no sense, if you integrate you get 2sqrt(v) = 2t + c

Last edited:
Square both sides of that expression and integrate again. You have enough data to find the constants.

FAQ: Solving Kinematics Problem: Integrate for x,v,a @ t=3s

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, specifically the positions, velocities, and accelerations of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is meant by "Integrate for x,v,a @ t=3s"?

This phrase means to calculate the values for position (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) at a specific time (t=3 seconds) using the integration method in calculus.

3. How do you solve a Kinematics problem?

To solve a Kinematics problem, you need to identify the given information, choose the appropriate equations to use, and then solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct formulas for one-dimensional or two-dimensional motion problems.

4. What is the importance of solving Kinematics problems?

Solving Kinematics problems is important for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in the real world. It is also crucial for many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and robotics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Kinematics problems include not paying attention to units, using the wrong formulas, and incorrectly setting up the problem. It is also important to remember to use the correct signs (+ or -) for direction and to check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.