Kinematics problem — Calculating displacements around a circle

In summary, the phrase "distance covered" refers to the arc length traversed in a circular motion. To find the displacement from the initial position to point A and point B, the equations for arc length and the cosine rule can be used. It is important to consider angles and construct triangles to accurately determine the displacement. Establishing a Cartesian coordinate system can also help in writing out the components for the displacement.
SSG-E
Homework Statement
Radius = 7 m
Distance covered at point A = 2 m
Distance covered at point B = 25 m
Find the displacement of the object from:
a. Initial position to point A
b. Intial position to point B
Relevant Equations
d = 2r
Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the phrase "distance covered" means in this problem?

Likes etotheipi
Lnewqban said:
What does the phrase "distance covered" means in this problem?
It was just written in the book. All I have to do is find displacement from initial position to A and from initial position to B

SSG-E said:
It was just written in the book. All I have to do is find displacement from initial position to A and from initial position to B
How would you do that?
I believe that some information is missing.

I assume from the numbers given that the thing is walking around the perimeter of the circle, and the distance covered is the arc length traversed.

If the initial point is denoted O, then the displacements ##\mathbf{OA}## and ##\mathbf{OB}## will be vectors. You will need to use the equations for arc length and the cosine rule to determine the magnitudes of these.

Likes Lnewqban
etotheipi said:
I assume from the numbers given that the thing is walking around the perimeter of the circle, and the distance covered is the arc length traversed.

If the initial point is denoted O, then the displacements ##\mathbf{OA}## and ##\mathbf{OB}## will be vectors. You will need to use the equations for arc length and the cosine rule to determine the magnitudes of these.
how?

SSG-E said:
how?

I can give you the formulae, but I won't do it for you :wink:. The length of an arc which subtends an angle ##\theta## is ##s = r\theta##, whilst the cosine rule you probably know.

Draw some triangles!

Likes SSG-E
etotheipi said:
I can give you the formulae, but I won't do it for you :wink:. The length of an arc which subtends an angle ##\theta## is ##s = r\theta##, whilst the cosine rule you probably know.

Draw some triangles!
As chord OA = displacement; therefore chord length=displacement = 1.99 m
Is it correct?
Untitled 3.png

That looks good.

How about part 2? Make sure to be careful with your angles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes SSG-E
etotheipi said:
That looks good.

How about part 2? Make sure to be careful with your angles!
will a triangle also be constructed in part b?

SSG-E said:
will a triangle also be constructed in part b?

Sure! If O is the initial position and C the centre, try considering the triangle defined by the edges OC, OB, BC.

Likes SSG-E
etotheipi said:
Sure! If O is the initial position and C the centre, try considering the triangle defined by the edges OC, OB, BC.
Displacement = 13.7 m Is this correct?
Untitled 4n.png

I think that's also correct, yes.

Technically if it asks you for the displacement, you should establish a coordinate system and write out the components. I don't know whether this is required for your assignment.

Likes SSG-E
etotheipi said:
I think that's also correct, yes.

Technically if it asks you for the displacement, you should establish a coordinate system and write out the components. I don't know whether this is required for your assignment.
Yes its also required how do i do that?

Then suppose you establish a Cartesian coordinate system with the ##\hat{x}## vector horizontal. You will need to first work out what angle each vector makes with the horizontal.

• Informative
Likes SSG-E
etotheipi said:
Then suppose you establish a Cartesian coordinate system with the ##\hat{x}## vector horizontal. You will need to first work out what angle each vector makes with the horizontal.
Yes I get it. That is all for my assignment. Thanks for the help ; )

Likes Lnewqban and etotheipi

Related to Kinematics problem — Calculating displacements around a circle

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. How do you calculate displacement around a circle?

To calculate displacement around a circle, you need to know the radius of the circle and the angle of rotation. The displacement is equal to the radius times the angle in radians.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that represents the change in position of an object, while distance is a scalar quantity that represents the total length of the path traveled by an object.

5. What are the units of displacement?

The units of displacement depend on the units of the radius and angle used in the calculation. However, the most common units for displacement are meters (m) or centimeters (cm).