Solve Kinematics Problem: 2 Stones Meeting at Height

• Thread starter marco101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem involves throwing two stones with the same initial velocity and finding the height at which they will meet. Using the distance formula for both stones, we can set them equal and solve for the time at which they will meet. The resulting t-value can then be plugged into the distance formula for the first stone to find the height at which they will meet.
marco101

Homework Statement

You throw a stone straight up with initial V of 24.5m/s and 2.0 s later you throw a second stone straight up with the same initial velocity. The first stone going down will meet the second stone going up. At what height above the point of release do the two stones meet?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if I'm doing the question correctly. My attempt at it is below.

The Attempt at a Solution

1st Stone
d = Vt
d = 24.5t

2nd Stone
d = 24.5t + .5(9.8)t^2
after 2 seconds, 24.5 x 2 = 49, so d + 49 = 24.5t +.5(9.8)t^2

I then plugged in the d equation from the 1st stone
24.5t + 49 = 24.5t + 4.9t^2
4.9t^2 = 49
t = 3.162 seconds is when the two stones are at the same distance.

Then i assume that you just plug in the t-value in the distance equation for the 1st stone but i keep getting an incorrect answer. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi marco101! Welcome to PF! :wink:
marco101 said:
… 1st Stone
d = Vt
d = 24.5t

Nope … that's for constant velocity, isn't it?

You need an equation just like for the 2nd stone, but with an adjustment to t. :smile:

Is my 2nd equation correct then?

Im thinking if it's 2 seconds later, then the equation to the first stone is
d = 24.5 (t+2) + .5(9.8)(t+2)^2

while the 2nd stone stays the same, d + 49 = 24.5t +.5(9.8)t^2 and then set the two equal to each otehr?

Hi marco101! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
marco101 said:
Is my 2nd equation correct then?

Im thinking if it's 2 seconds later, then the equation to the first stone is
d = 24.5 (t+2) + .5(9.8)(t+2)^2

Yup! :biggrin:
while the 2nd stone stays the same, d + 49 = 24.5t +.5(9.8)t^2 and then set the two equal to each otehr?

Nooo … forget the 49 … they both start from d = 0 (one at t = 0, one at t = -2), don't they? :wink:

Related to Solve Kinematics Problem: 2 Stones Meeting at Height

1. How do you solve a kinematics problem involving two stones meeting at a certain height?

To solve this type of problem, you will need to use the equations of motion for constant acceleration. First, identify the initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations of each stone. Then, use the equations to solve for the unknowns, such as time or distance. Finally, check your answers to make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

2. What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration in kinematics?

Position refers to the location of an object in space at a specific time. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

3. How do you determine the direction of motion in a kinematics problem?

In a kinematics problem, the direction of motion can be determined by the sign of the velocity or acceleration. If the velocity or acceleration is positive, the object is moving in the positive direction. If the velocity or acceleration is negative, the object is moving in the negative direction.

4. Can you solve a kinematics problem without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible to solve a kinematics problem without knowing the initial velocity. This is because there are multiple equations that can be used to solve for the unknown variables. However, it is usually easier to solve the problem if the initial velocity is known.

5. How does the height of the meeting point of two stones affect the kinematics problem?

The height of the meeting point of two stones can affect the kinematics problem, as it may change the initial or final positions of the stones. However, as long as the initial and final positions and velocities of the stones are known, the height of the meeting point should not significantly impact the solution to the problem.