How can calculus be used to solve a snail kinematics problem?

• Thread starter brushman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, three snails at the vertices of an equilateral triangle with side 60 cm move towards each other at a constant speed of 5 cm/min. The time elapsed and distance covered by the snails when they meet can be calculated by setting up a system of differential equations. The path of the snails can be described as an arc length, but it only works if the snails do not circle their meeting point.
brushman

Homework Statement

Three small snails are each at a vertex of an equilateral triangle of side 60 cm. The first snail sets out towards the second, the second towards the third, and the third towards the first with a constant speed of 5 cm/min. As they go they always head towards their respective target snail. How much time has elapsed and what distance the snails cover by the time they meet? What is the equation of their path? If the snails are treated as point-masses, how many times does each circle their ultimate meeting point?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble starting this problem. I drew all the pictures and have it well visualized. I know the starting speed is 5 cm/min towards the adjacent slug so I drew the vector, and after t = 0 this vector starts changing direction.

I guess I have to use calculus but I don't really know in what way.

Can someone give me a hint on how to start this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am tempted to set up a system of differential equations here, e.g.
[tex]\vec x_1'(t) = 5 \hat x_{12}(t)[/tex]
where
[tex]\hat x_{12}(t) = \frac{\vec x_2(t) - \vec x_1(t)}{\left\Vert \vec x_2(t) - \vec x_1(t) \right\Vert}[/tex]

But for an introductory physics class, that seems a little to complicated. So maybe you can give some more information on what subject you are covering, what equations you are supposed to use, etc.

This is a calc based Physics I class. It's a "challenge" problem. It shouldn't need any more then basic calculus to solve.

I figure if the snails go straight to their meeting point without circling it at all, then their path could be described as an arc length of [itex](60/360)2\pi r[/itex]. However, I don't know if it is actually a perfect arc length or if it just looks like it, and it only works if the snails don't circle the point at all.

1. What is the Kinematics snail problem?

The Kinematics snail problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the distance and time traveled by a snail on a journey. It is based on the principles of kinematics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects.

2. How do you solve the Kinematics snail problem?

To solve the Kinematics snail problem, you need to use the equations of motion, which include distance, time, and speed. The first step is to determine the known values, such as the initial and final position of the snail, and the time it takes to travel. Then, plug these values into the appropriate equation to find the unknown value.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the Kinematics snail problem?

The key concepts involved in the Kinematics snail problem are distance, time, speed, and acceleration. These concepts are used to describe the motion of the snail and can be represented mathematically using equations of motion.

4. Can the Kinematics snail problem be applied to other situations?

Yes, the principles used to solve the Kinematics snail problem can be applied to any situation that involves calculating the distance, time, or speed of an object in motion. This can include problems involving cars, airplanes, or even projectiles.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Kinematics snail problem?

The Kinematics snail problem has real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. It can be used to track the movement of animals, design efficient transportation systems, and analyze the performance of athletes. It also has practical applications in everyday activities, such as calculating travel time and distance.