Calculating Maximum Speed and Height of a Child on a Trampoline

In summary, a 1.50 m high trampoline stores 50.0J or elastic potential energy as a 39.2Kg child lands on it. The child reaches a maximum speed of 1.5971 m/s and a maximum height of 0.130 m when he is propelled vertically into the air and reaches the highest point above the ground before he lands again.
happysmiles36

Homework Statement

A 1.50 m high trampoline stores 50.0J or elastic potential energy as a 39.2Kg child lands on it. What is the maximum speed the child will reach as he is propelled vertically into the air and how high above the ground will he reach before he lands again?

Homework Equations

Not sure what it means :/

Ek = Ep
Ek=1/2*m*v^2
Ep=m*g*h

Ek= kinetic energy
Ep= potential energy
m=mass
v=speed
h=height
g=gravitational force (9.81m/s^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

v= [Square Root]((Ek)/(1/2)(m))
v= [Square Root]((50.0J)/(0.5)(39.2Kg))
v= 1.5971 m/s
v= 1.60 m/s <---- Maximum speed i thinkh= (Ep)/(m*g)
h= (50.0J)/(39.2Kg)(9.81m/s^2)
h= 0.13002 m
h= 0.130 m <---- Maximum height i think

Physics news on Phys.org
That's almost correct. Be careful on your height. Is 0.130m the maximum height reached by the child?

Another thing: the solution is numerically correct, but I think that you should state clearly which are the types of energy (kinetic, potential gravitational, potential elastic...) in this problem, and how they are linked, e.g. why the kinetic energy Ek is 50.0J?
I know this may seem quite boring because it is obvious, but this way of thinking will help you in more difficult exercises.

I found something wrong but I'm still not sure if the answer is correct.

Edit:
h= (Ep)/(m*g)
h= (50.0J)/(39.2Kg)(9.81m/s^2)
h= 0.13002 m
h= 0.130 m + 1.50m (because above ground)
h= 1.63m <----Possible answer
----------------------------------------------
I tried stating why Kinetic=Potential but I still couldn't figure out the answer. :(

Mechanical Energy= Kinetic Energy+Potential Gravitational Energy
so
[Change in]Kinetic Energy = [Change in]Potential Gravitational Energy

Please help, I just learned about energy so I'm not really good at it

You got it.
The best way is:
Choose the reference to measure the potential gravitational energy; I will choose the level of the trampoline (with this convention, h=0 means on the trampoline) , but you can choose ground level as well.

At the beginning: Only Potential elastic energy [itex]E_{elastic}=50.0J[/itex] (because I choose to put Egravitational=0 on the trampoline
While flying: Potential gravitational energy +Kinetic energy: [itex]E_{gravit}+K[/itex]

Since you must have
[itex]E_{elastic}=E_{gravit}+K=mgh+\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]
to get the highest speed you have to solve in v, to get the highest height you solve on h.
[itex]v_{max}=\sqrt{\frac{2[E_{elastic}-mgh]}{m}}[/itex] the maximum speed is when h=0, and you get [itex]v_{max}=\sqrt{\frac{2E_{elastic}}{m}}[/itex].
[itex]h_{max}=\frac{E_{elastic}-\frac{1}{2}mv^2}{mg}[/itex] which has its maximum when v=0, so that
[itex]h_{max}=\frac{E_{elastic}}{mg}[/itex]

Got it?

thanks i get it now :)

1. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Potential energy can be stored in various forms such as gravitational potential energy, chemical potential energy, and elastic potential energy. Examples include a ball on top of a hill, a battery, and a stretched spring, respectively.

4. How is potential energy converted into kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy through the process of energy transfer, where the potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy as an object moves from a higher position to a lower position.

5. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.