Calculating Power Needed to Push a Box Across a Floor with Friction

In summary, the problem involves pushing a 67 kg box at a speed of 0.5m/s with a coefficient of friction of 0.55. To solve for the power needed, we can use the equation P = μsmgv, where μs is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v is the speed. The work done can also be calculated using the formula work = force x distance, with the force being μR. With a distance of 0.5m, we can find the power needed to push the box at the given speed.
lailanni
I've been trying this for an hour, please have mercy and help!

You push a 67 kg box across a floor where the coef. Kfriction is .55. The force you exert is horizontal. How much power is needed to push the box at a speed of .5m/s?

I've tried w=Ki-Wnc, but I guess that isn't it.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this problem sum the forces in the x and y directions. You should get
F_{x} = \frac{dp}{dt} + f_{s} and F_{y} = N= m g...(1)
calling this eq (1). So we may write from eq (1)
f_{s} = \mu_{s} m g ...(2)
Now we wish to know the power, which we may relate to the force exerted by the equation
P= F v ...(3)
So substitute eq (2) and eq (1) into eq (3), with the numerical values given in the problem. Note that the quantity
\frac{dp}{dt}
is the change in momentum with respect to time, if the force is a constant force (which I am assuming it is) this term is zero, which yields the result for eq (3) is
P = \mu_{s} m g v
which are all numerical values in problem statement. I hope this helps.
sincerely, x

Work done = force x distance.
The force in this case is [itex] F = \mu R[/itex] where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficent of friction.
Let the distance moved be 0.5m.
Power is [itex]\frac{workdone}{time}[/itex], the speed is 0.5m/s, therefore the time is 1 and in this case, power = workdone.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but not direction.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What are the units of kinetic energy?

The units of kinetic energy are Joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the Imperial system.

Can kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, kinetic energy can be negative. This occurs when the object's direction of motion is opposite to the direction of a force acting on it, causing it to slow down or lose energy.

How is kinetic energy related to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that are interconvertible. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa, depending on the position and velocity of the object.