1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of a disk that turn around 2 axis

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    I would like to know if kinetics energy of a disk with radius 'r', mass 'm' which turn around itself at Wb (relative rotation) and which turn around blue axis at distance 'd' is :

1/2md²Wa²+1/2mr²(Wa−Wb)² ???

With Wa > Wb

Look at image please.

Attached Files:

• xd1.png
      xd1.png
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

The prefactor for the second term looks wrong. That would correspond to a ring instead of a disk.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    A disk is not a sum of rings ? What is the result for a disk ? I'm looking for a link but it's very difficult to find on Internet

5. Oct 28, 2014 #4

mfb

2017 Award

A disk can be described as a sum of rings of different radius, but it is not a ring with radius r. Check its moment of inertia.

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5
    But you're sure my formula is for a ring ?

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6

mfb

2017 Award

It is valid for a ring. It is valid for other shapes as well, but not for your disk. The prefactor is wrong.

8. Oct 29, 2014 #7
    Have you a link where I can find formulas for different shapes ?

9. Oct 30, 2014 #8

mfb

2017 Award

10. Oct 31, 2014 #9
    Ok, but I don't find the formula: 1/2md²Wa²+1/2mr²(Wa−Wb)²

I would like to find the demonstration of this formula to be sure it is correct at least for a ring.

11. Oct 31, 2014 #10

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The point was that Google can find the moment of inertia of a ring or of a disc. ##mr^2## is the moment of inertia of a ring of mass m and radius r.

A demonstration I find convincing is to imagine that one is applying the work neccessary to spin this arrangement up.

Start with the rod locked in place and spin up the disk to a rotation rate of ##\omega_a - \omega_b##. How much energy does that take? It should be ##\frac{I_b(\omega_a - \omega_b)^2}{2}##. Where ##I_b## is the moment of inertia of a disk or ring of radius r. (Which you can look up on Google)

Now unlock the rod and spin it up to a rotation rate of ##\omega_a##. Because the pivot on which the disk/ring is mounted is frictionless and mounted at the center of mass of the disk/ring, the energy required to do this is independent of the size, shape or rotation rate of the object on the end of the rod. It depends only on the disk/ring's mass. How much energy is this? It should be ##\frac{I_a\omega_a^2}{2}## where ##I_a## is the moment of inertia of a mass at a distance d. By definition, that's ##md^2##.

Having done this, the relative rotation rate of the disk or ring with respect to the rod will be ##-\omega_b## and we are in the correct final configuration. The energy in the configuration is the total of the energy that went into spinning it up.

There is no requirement that ##\omega_a \gt \omega_b##. The formula works regardless.

12. Oct 31, 2014 #11

mfb

2017 Award

There is also no formula for tons of other cases. All the discussion here was about a specific part of the formula. And there is a formula for the moment of inertia of a spinning disk. And somewhere on that page or linked pages you can also find the formula for the energy of a spinning disk. Put both together with the angular velocity you found and you'll see the second term of your formula has a wrong prefactor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook