1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of balls after collision

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    If the first ball in problem 7) has a mass of 10 kg and the second ball is travelling at it with a speed of 14 m/s, what is the velocity, to one decimal place, of the first ball after collision?

Problem (7) says A 9.8 kg steel ball, travelling left to right at 12 m/s, undergoes an elastic collision with a 5 kg steel ball at rest. To the nearest Joule, what is the Total Kinetic Energy of the two balls after collision?

So I derived equations using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy and I got the two formulas:
    from Ek = Ek1+ Ek2
    1) 980 = 10 v1(prime)^2 + 5 v2 (prime) ^2
    -------------- ---------------
    2 2

from m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 (prime) + m2v2 (prime)
    2) 190 = 10v1(prime) + 5 (v2) (prime)

so then I divided them all by 5 and rearranged to solve for v2(prime) getting:
    v2 (prime) = 2v1(prime) - 38

I substituted this eqn back into the first and got
    980 = 10v1(prime)^2 + 5 (2v1(prime) - 38)^2
    This rearranges into a quadratic eqn (i think) the after I solve for v1 prime I keep getting the wrong answer!!!! I'm not sure if it's just a math error or if I interpreted the question wrong... please help me!

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would interpret the (second) problem as saying that the first ball from problem 7 now has mass 10kg (instead of 9.8) but is still moving at 12 m/s while the second ball, of mass 5 kg, which was previously still, is now moving at 14 m/s.

That makes the total kinetic energy (1/2)(10)(122)+ (1/2)(5)(142)= 1210 Joules, not 980. The total momentum is (10)(12)- (5)(14)= 50 kg m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?