Kinetic energy of balls after collision

In order for the center of mass to be moving at 3.33 m/s, the first ball must be moving at only 12- 3.33= 8.67 m/s. In summary, the first ball has mass 10 kg and is moving at 8.67 m/s while the second ball has mass 5 kg and is moving at 14 m/s after the collision. The total kinetic energy of the two balls after collision is 1210 Joules.
h6872
If the first ball in problem 7) has a mass of 10 kg and the second ball is traveling at it with a speed of 14 m/s, what is the velocity, to one decimal place, of the first ball after collision?

Problem (7) says A 9.8 kg steel ball, traveling left to right at 12 m/s, undergoes an elastic collision with a 5 kg steel ball at rest. To the nearest Joule, what is the Total Kinetic Energy of the two balls after collision?

So I derived equations using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy and I got the two formulas:
from Ek = Ek1+ Ek2
1) 980 = 10 v1(prime)^2 + 5 v2 (prime) ^2
-------------- ---------------
2 2

from m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 (prime) + m2v2 (prime)
2) 190 = 10v1(prime) + 5 (v2) (prime)

so then I divided them all by 5 and rearranged to solve for v2(prime) getting:
v2 (prime) = 2v1(prime) - 38

I substituted this eqn back into the first and got
980 = 10v1(prime)^2 + 5 (2v1(prime) - 38)^2
This rearranges into a quadratic eqn (i think) the after I solve for v1 prime I keep getting the wrong answer! I'm not sure if it's just a math error or if I interpreted the question wrong... please help me!

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret the (second) problem as saying that the first ball from problem 7 now has mass 10kg (instead of 9.8) but is still moving at 12 m/s while the second ball, of mass 5 kg, which was previously still, is now moving at 14 m/s.

That makes the total kinetic energy (1/2)(10)(122)+ (1/2)(5)(142)= 1210 Joules, not 980. The total momentum is (10)(12)- (5)(14)= 50 kg m/s

for sharing your work and thought process! It seems like you have set up the equations correctly using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. However, it is possible that there may be a math error in your calculations. I would suggest double checking your calculations and also checking your units to make sure they are consistent throughout the equations.

As for the specific question about the velocity of the first ball after collision, we can use the same equations but with the given values of mass and initial velocity. So, we have:

From Ek = Ek1 + Ek2:
980 = 10v1(prime)^2 + 5 (14)^2
980 = 10v1(prime)^2 + 980
10v1(prime)^2 = 0
v1(prime) = 0 m/s

This means that the first ball will come to a complete stop after the collision with the second ball. This result makes sense since the second ball is initially at rest and the collision is elastic, meaning there is no loss of kinetic energy.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it related to collisions?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In collisions, kinetic energy is transferred between objects as they come into contact with each other. The total kinetic energy of a system before and after a collision remains constant, but it may be distributed differently among the objects involved.

2. How is the kinetic energy of balls calculated after a collision?

The kinetic energy of a ball can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its velocity. After a collision, the kinetic energy of each ball can be calculated using their respective masses and velocities before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of balls after a collision?

The kinetic energy of balls after a collision is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the balls, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the collision. In elastic collisions, the kinetic energy is conserved, while in inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms such as heat or sound.

4. Is the kinetic energy of balls always conserved in collisions?

In perfect conditions, where there is no external force acting on the system, the kinetic energy of balls is conserved in collisions. However, in real-world situations, there may be external forces that can change the kinetic energy of the system, such as friction or air resistance. In these cases, the kinetic energy may not be conserved.

5. How is the concept of kinetic energy in collisions applied in real life?

The concept of kinetic energy in collisions is applied in various fields such as sports, engineering, and transportation. In sports, the efficiency of a ball's bounce is important for performance. In engineering, the conservation of kinetic energy is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures. In transportation, understanding the kinetic energy of moving objects helps in predicting and preventing collisions.