Kinetic energy of bow and arrow

In summary, potential energy can be transformed into kinetic energy according to the law of conservation of energy. When a meter stick with 40 J of potential energy is fired horizontally, it will have a kinetic energy of 40 J. The Winterchester Potato Cannon, applying a 6000N force to a 0.5 kg potato in a 1.5 meter barrel, will have a change in kinetic energy of 9000 J. For the pendulum question, the maximum speed cannot be determined without knowing the mass. Lastly, units of power do not include kgm2/s3 or Jm/s.
iFat

The question is if a meter stick is drawn in a bow so that it has 40 J of potential energy. When fired horizontally, the meter stick will have kinetic energy of _____.

A) Less than 40 J B) More than 40 J C) 40 J

I think it's C because of the conversation law. Energy can't be created or destroyed, but transformed. The energy is changing from potential energy to kinetic energy, but then I say it might be A.

The Winterchester Potato Cannon applies a 6000N average force to a 0.5 kg potato while the potato is in the 1.5 meter barrel. Assuming no friction, what is the change in KE of the potato?

A) 9000 J B) 6000 J C) 0J D)4500 J E) 4000J

For this question, I'm extremely confused. I don't even know what it's asking.

A pendulum is lifted so that it is raised 5 meter above its lowest position. When released, what is its maximum speed?

A) 5 m/s B) 7.07 m/s C) 10 m/3 D) 100 m/s E) need to know the mass

For this question, I think you have to know the mass because the formula is KE = 1/2mv^2. How can you figure out the maximum speed without the mass.

Last question, which of the following are not units of Power?

A) Nm/s B) J/s C) kgm2/s3 D) W E) Jm/s

I think it's C and E. I just wanted to double check just to make sure that answer was correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. C seems correct if P.E is attributed to the drawing of the bow alone.

2. Hint: Work Done = Force * Distance

3. mgh = 1/2mv^2, do the masses matter now?

4. Check again

Oh and welcome to PF :)

arunbg said:
1. C seems correct if P.E is attributed to the drawing of the bow alone.

2. Hint: Work Done = Force * Distance

3. mgh = 1/2mv^2, do the masses matter now?

4. Check again

Oh and welcome to PF :)

Thank you, that helped.

For 1) I got C.

2) A

C) C

and still working on 4. =)

and the last one is E. =]

Looks good to me :)

Related to Kinetic energy of bow and arrow

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy related to a bow and arrow?

In the case of a bow and arrow, kinetic energy is the energy that the arrow possesses due to its motion as it is released from the bow.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a bow and arrow?

The kinetic energy of a bow and arrow is affected by the mass and velocity of the arrow, as well as the draw weight and draw length of the bow.

How can the kinetic energy of a bow and arrow be calculated?

The kinetic energy of a bow and arrow can be calculated using the formula: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the arrow and v is its velocity.

What is the importance of understanding the kinetic energy of a bow and arrow?

Understanding the kinetic energy of a bow and arrow is important for ensuring safety while using a bow and arrow, as well as for optimizing the performance and accuracy of the arrow.