What is the increase in kinetic energy during an atomic nucleus disintegration?

In summary, an unstable atomic nucleus of mass 1.60e-26 kg initially at rest disintegrates into three particles, with one particle moving along the y-axis with a speed of 6.00e6 m/s and another particle moving along the x-axis with a speed of 4.00e6 m/s. The velocity of the third particle is -1.40e7 i - 1.26e7 j. The total increase in kinetic energy in this process is currently unknown and further attempts are being made to determine it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
albinoboy
Problem: An unstable atomic nucleus of mass 1.60 10-26 kg initially at rest disintegrates into three particles. One of the particles, of mass 5.08 10-27 kg, moves along the y-axis with a speed of 6.00 106 m/s. Another particle, of mass 8.50 10-27 kg, moves along the x-axis with a speed of 4.00 106 m/s.

A) Find the velocity of the third particle.

(-1.40e7 i - 1.26e7 j)

B) Find the total kinetic energy increase in the process.

I have been messing around with the numbers and can not figure out how to determine the increase in kinetic energy. I have one more attempt and then I get it wrong. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and mass?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that are constantly interchanging. Potential energy is stored energy that can be converted into kinetic energy when an object is in motion.

What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some real-life examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a bouncing ball, a swinging pendulum, and a person running. Essentially, any object that is in motion has kinetic energy.