Kinetic Energy & Work: Solving the Physics Problem

• Thread starter Ginny Mac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, the student is struggling with a homework problem that involves using Hooke's Law. They are confused about how to set up the problem and need help.
Ginny Mac
I am a full-time student and Physics major. Currently, among my other classes, I am taking Mechanics and Calculus II at once, boy this semester is a bugger. I am studying like mad and not seeing results. I think I understand physics concepts much better than I understand all of the math that is involved! I certainly need to improve my math techniques. Here is one from the homework that has stumped me:

Imagine three different masses are hung from a spring alongside a ruler. The first mass (F=mg=W=110 N) shows a displacement of 40 mm, the second mass (F=mg=W=240 N) shows a dis. of 60 mm, and the final mass of unknown weight is at 30 mm. Here's where I am having trouble: I need to find out a) which mark the spring will be at if there is no mass on the spring and b) the weight of the final mass.

I'm confused! If I use Hooke's Law, F= -kx, I can find the spring constant k when I know the force and the position x, but how do we find k if we do not know x? I imagine we use an equation for work by a spring force,

Ws= (1/2)k*xinitial^2 - (1/2)k*xfinal^2
which involves finding the initial and final x positions to find work...but I cannot figure out how to set this up. Perhaps I am leaving out another crucial equation or step? Hmmm... Any help in setting up the problem would be appreciated. Thank ya'll -

Ever so lost,
Gin

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the spring is at x0 mark with no weight. then
x1 = 0.04 - x0
x2 = 0.06 - x0 and
x3 = x - x0

Now write the equation

W1 = k x1 and so on. Solve the three equations for K, x0 and x.

Thanks for the help. Turns out my main problem was that I was assuming X-Xo was 0, and I kept getting W=k*0, which is just zero, and that certainly didn't make sense for the problem! It was actually irrelevant where we allowed Xo to be, any arbitrary amount works, and of course, that is why you recommended allowing Xo to be the unknown we solve for. Thank you for helping me to see this a different way!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What is work in relation to kinetic energy?

Work is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object is displaced in the direction of the force. In terms of kinetic energy, work is the change in an object's kinetic energy.

4. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated using the formula W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the distance the object is displaced, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

5. What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy and work?

Examples of kinetic energy and work can be seen in everyday activities such as throwing a ball, riding a bike, or pushing a shopping cart. In these situations, work is done to transfer energy to the object in motion, giving it kinetic energy.