1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Friction/Distance

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1

LCB

A box is sliding up an incline that makes an angle of 12.0° with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the surface of the incline is 0.180. The initial speed of the box at the bottom of the incline is 2.40 m/s. How far does the box travel along the incline before coming to rest?

I don't even know where to start. I'm guessing I should use kinematics, but where does the coefficient of kinetic friction and the angle fit into those?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

Resolve the forces acting on the box along and normal to the plane. normal components will balance ( write the equation0 and tengential components will accelerates the box( write the equation)
    Remamper friction is in against the motion.

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Have you tried an energy consideration? That is the work done by the frictional force should be equal to the change in the mechanical energy (it's kinetic and potential energy) of the box (this is called the work-energy theorem in Physics).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?