Kinetic friction, dragging a box

In summary: I see you posted a formula Ff=UkN.. what do those variable stand for?I see you posted a formula Ff=UkN.. what do those variable stand for?Ff is the force of friction. \mu_k is the coefficient of kinetic friction (ie. F_f/N = \mu_k).
dudeman
A box with mass M is dragged across a level floor having a coefficient of kinetic friction (greek mu)k by a rope that is pulled upward at an angle Theta above the horizontal with a force of magnitude F.

What is the expression of the mag. of force needed to move the box with a constant speed?

I dont' really know what to do on this. What I've tried so far is spliting the angle's force into acos(theta) and asin(theta), then somehow applying friction. Does anyone know where I can read up on friction, maybe I just dont' understand the concept fully.

Physics news on Phys.org
dudeman said:
A box with mass M is dragged across a level floor having a coefficient of kinetic friction (greek mu)k by a rope that is pulled upward at an angle Theta above the horizontal with a force of magnitude F.

What is the expression of the mag. of force needed to move the box with a constant speed?

I dont' really know what to do on this. What I've tried so far is spliting the angle's force into acos(theta) and asin(theta), then somehow applying friction. Does anyone know where I can read up on friction, maybe I just dont' understand the concept fully.
Is the box accelerating in the either the vertical or horizontal directions? So what are all the vertical forces and what do they add up to? What are the horizontal forces and what do they add up to? Set out those equations and you will easily see how to solve for the applied force. You have to know that the force of kinetic friction is: [itex]F_f = \mu_k N[/itex] and is in the horizontal direction (N is the normal force of the box on the surface).

AM

I see you posted a formula Ff=UkN.. what do those variable stand for?

Last edited:
rkslperez04 said:
I see you posted a formula Ff=UkN.. what do those variable stand for?
Ff is the force of friction. [itex]\mu_k[/itex] is the coefficient of kinetic friction (ie. [itex]F_f/N = \mu_k[/itex]).

AM

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and moving.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be set in motion.

3. How is the magnitude of kinetic friction determined?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is determined by the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is a measure of the roughness of the surface and the type of materials in contact.

4. Can kinetic friction be reduced?

Yes, the magnitude of kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing materials with lower coefficients of kinetic friction.

5. How does the force of kinetic friction affect the velocity of an object?

The force of kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it will decrease the velocity of an object over time until the object comes to a stop.