Discover the Fascinating Mechanism of Self-Charging Kinetic Watches

• Thread starter physior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, the mechanism that makes watches self-charged by the movements of the wrist is often referred to as a self-winding, automatic, or kinetic movement. This technology uses the natural motion of the wearer's wrist to power the watch, eliminating the need for manual winding. More information about this mechanism can be easily found by searching on Google and using specific terms related to the technology.
physior
hello!

how is it called the mechanism that makes watches self-charged by the movements of the wrist?
where can I find more info about this?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
physior said:
hello!

how is it called the mechanism that makes watches self-charged by the movements of the wrist?
where can I find more info about this?

thanks!

Just Google the title of your thread.

but I am interested in the mechanism, the technology, not the actual watches

physior said:
but I am interested in the mechanism, the technology, not the actual watches

Google is quite flexible. Keep adding terms into the search window to narrow your search. When I searched just using your title words, I got plenty of hits about how they work.

1. How do self-charging kinetic watches work?

Self-charging kinetic watches use the natural motion of the wearer's arm to power the watch. Inside the watch, there is a small rotor that rotates with the movement of the arm, which in turn winds a mainspring. This stored energy is then used to power the watch's movement and keep it running.

2. Are self-charging kinetic watches more accurate than regular watches?

Self-charging kinetic watches are just as accurate as regular watches. They use the same quartz crystal technology to keep time and are regulated by the same standards. The only difference is the method of powering the watch.

3. How long does a self-charging kinetic watch stay charged?

A fully charged self-charging kinetic watch can last for several months without any additional motion. However, it is recommended to wear the watch regularly to keep it charged and running smoothly.

4. Can self-charging kinetic watches be overcharged?

No, self-charging kinetic watches cannot be overcharged. They have a built-in mechanism that prevents the mainspring from being wound too tightly, which could potentially damage the watch.

5. Do self-charging kinetic watches require any special maintenance?

Self-charging kinetic watches do not require any special maintenance. However, it is recommended to have the watch serviced every 3-5 years to ensure its accuracy and longevity.