Solving Kirchhoff's Problem: Finding Current in a Directed Graph

• Thread starter Dench
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kirchhoff
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the current in the edge ac using Kirchhoff's laws. The equations and attempts at a solution are shown, including assumptions about the direction of current flow. The conversation also touches on the issue of using directed graphs and the possibility of negative values for current.
Dench

Homework Statement

I have been given the above information and asked to find the current in the edge ac. s is the sink, t is the source.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's First Law, current in = current out.
Kirchoff's Second Law, the sum of resistance.current for all vertices in a cycle = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I have assumed that all currents connected to the sink go into the sink, and all connected to the source go away from the source. I have also assumed the current flows from c to b, and c to a. I have made these assumptions to make sure there cannot be an infinite cycle in the graph and I simply cannot see a way to solve this if the graph is not directed.

So from kirchhoff 1 i have:
Icb - 10 - Ibs = 0
Itc - Ica - Icb = 0
Ita + Ica + 10 - Ias = 0

And from kirchhoff 2:
cycle tca : 6Itc + Ica - 3Ita = 0
cycle cab : Ica - 20 - 3Icb = 0
cycle bas : 20 + Ias - 2Ibs = 0

However I cannot seem to solve these simultaneously to get any closer to my result,and I'm not sure my initial assumptions about the direction of flow of current are valid, any hints/tips would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to solve them simultaneously using the matrix solver on my HP50 calculator:

Ibs = -21.6667
Ias = -63.3333
Icb = -11.6667
Ica = -15.0000
Ita = -58.3333
Itc = -26.6667

The magnitude of the sink and source currents is 85.

So are my assumptions about the direction of current correct?
and why are these values all negative?
I mean I'm not even sure I am using the correct method! :S

@ tiny-tim : OK, thanks a lot! I'll work on that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

Hi Dench! Welcome to PF! :smile:

{have an omega: Ω :wink:)
Dench said:
Firstly I have assumed that all currents connected to the sink go into the sink, and all connected to the source go away from the source. I have also assumed the current flows from c to b, and c to a. I have made these assumptions to make sure there cannot be an infinite cycle in the graph and I simply cannot see a way to solve this if the graph is not directed.

Yes, the graph does have to be directed, but there's no need to make the correct assumptions … if you guess wrong, the current will come out negative instead of positive … you won't lose any marks for it! :wink:

(and obviously, if you use I1 I2 I3 etc, you have to draw arrows, but it you use Icb etc, meaning from c to b, then you don't.)
So from kirchhoff 1 i have:
Icb - 10 - Ibs = 0
Itc - Ica - Icb = 0
Ita + Ica + 10 - Ias = 0

And from kirchhoff 2:
cycle tca : 6Itc + Ica - 3Ita = 0
cycle cab : Ica - 20 - 3Icb = 0
cycle bas : 20 + Ias - 2Ibs = 0

However I cannot seem to solve these simultaneously to get any closer to my result

You have 6 unknowns and 6 equations, so if you just slug your way through, everything should come out fine. :smile:

(The Electrician, please don't give out full answers!)

1. What is Kirchhoff's Problem and why is it important in science?

Kirchhoff's Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the current flow in a directed graph, also known as a network. This is important in science because it is used to model and analyze complex systems such as electrical circuits, transportation networks, and social networks.

2. What is a directed graph and how does it relate to Kirchhoff's Problem?

A directed graph is a mathematical structure that consists of vertices (nodes) and edges (arrows) connecting them. The direction of the edges indicates the flow of current in a network, making it an essential component in solving Kirchhoff's Problem.

3. How is Kirchhoff's Law applied in solving this problem?

Kirchhoff's Law states that the sum of currents entering a node in a network is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. This law is used to create a set of equations that can be solved to determine the current flow in a directed graph.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving Kirchhoff's Problem?

Solving Kirchhoff's Problem has numerous real-world applications, including designing and optimizing electrical circuits, analyzing transportation networks to improve traffic flow, and understanding the spread of information in social networks.

5. What are some common methods used to solve Kirchhoff's Problem?

Some common methods used to solve Kirchhoff's Problem include the Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), and the matrix method. Other strategies such as graph theory and linear algebra techniques can also be used to solve this problem.