1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchhoff Problem

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been given the above information and asked to find the current in the edge ac. s is the sink, t is the source.

2. Relevant equations
    Kirchoff's First Law, current in = current out.
    Kirchoff's Second Law, the sum of resistance.current for all vertices in a cycle = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly I have assumed that all currents connected to the sink go into the sink, and all connected to the source go away from the source. I have also assumed the current flows from c to b, and c to a. I have made these assumptions to make sure there cannot be an infinite cycle in the graph and I simply cannot see a way to solve this if the graph is not directed.

So from kirchoff 1 i have:
    Icb - 10 - Ibs = 0
    Itc - Ica - Icb = 0
    Ita + Ica + 10 - Ias = 0

And from kirchoff 2:
    cycle tca : 6Itc + Ica - 3Ita = 0
    cycle cab : Ica - 20 - 3Icb = 0
    cycle bas : 20 + Ias - 2Ibs = 0

However I cannot seem to solve these simultaneously to get any closer to my result,and I'm not sure my initial assumptions about the direction of flow of current are valid, any hints/tips would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2
    I was able to solve them simultaneously using the matrix solver on my HP50 calculator:

Ibs = -21.6667
    Ias = -63.3333
    Icb = -11.6667
    Ica = -15.0000
    Ita = -58.3333
    Itc = -26.6667

The magnitude of the sink and source currents is 85.

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    So are my assumptions about the direction of current correct?
    and why are these values all negative?
    I mean I'm not even sure im using the correct method! :S

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4
    @ tiny-tim : OK, thanks a lot! I'll work on that!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  6. Nov 14, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Dench! Welcome to PF! :smile:

{have an omega: Ω :wink:)
    Yes, the graph does have to be directed, but there's no need to make the correct assumptions … if you guess wrong, the current will come out negative instead of positive … you won't lose any marks for it! :wink:

(and obviously, if you use I1 I2 I3 etc, you have to draw arrows, but it you use Icb etc, meaning from c to b, then you don't.)
    You have 6 unknowns and 6 equations, so if you just slug your way through, everything should come out fine. :smile:

(The Electrician, please don't give out full answers!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook