Kirchhoff's Law Help: Solve Voltage & Current for Circuit

In summary, the student is trying to figure out the current flow through a circuit and is getting help from an expert. The student is confused about which potential to use and the expert provides a summary of the content and helps the student to finish the problem.
womatama

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/DuBgK

Homework Equations

I1=I2+I3

Sum of the directed potential differences around any closed loop equals zero

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the total resistance which came out to be 4.5Ω [3 + 1/(1/6+1/2)]
But now I don't know which voltage to use to calculate the total current flow in the circuit. The confusion I have is the +18V, I don't understand where it comes from hence I am confused as to what amount of potential to use.. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that potential is, in some sense, arbitrary. The loop rule says that if you start at some point, and traverse one whole loop and come back to your starting point, the total change to your potential is zero. So taking any loop starting at 18 V and coming back to that point will leave you with a potential of 18 V, so the 18 V doesn't actually matter for figuring out the relative currents. What it is useful for is working out the absolute numbers; e.g., once you figure out the current [itex]i[/itex] across the top left resistor, you can subtract [itex]iR[/itex] from 18 V to get the potential at point A.

Oh thanks for the advice there :D
So I worked out the current flow to be 4/3 A (Vsupply/Rtotal) and found that the voltage drop across the first resistor to be 4V so 18-4 = 14V right? :P
Here is how I'm finishing it:
Since the supply has lost 4V it is left with 2V across the parallel section. Since the voltage across parallel is constant, I worked out the current for each of the branches to be 1/3 A and 1 A so now I can just subtract iR from the remaining electrical potential to find the solution to the rest of the points. Hope I am doing this right, thank you for your help.

What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. They are used to solve for unknown values in a circuit.

What are the two laws of Kirchhoff?

The two laws of Kirchhoff are Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit is equal to zero. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to the sum of voltage sources.

How do I use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for voltage and current in a circuit?

To use Kirchhoff's Laws, you must first draw a circuit diagram and label all the components. Then, apply KCL and KVL to write a set of equations based on the known values and unknown variables. Finally, solve the equations using algebraic manipulation to find the values of voltage and current in the circuit.

Can Kirchhoff's Laws be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Laws can be applied to any type of circuit, including series and parallel circuits, as well as more complex circuits with multiple loops and nodes. However, they are most effective when used in DC circuits with constant voltage and resistance.

What are some common mistakes when using Kirchhoff's Laws?

Some common mistakes when using Kirchhoff's Laws include not properly labeling the circuit diagram, not conserving the direction of currents and voltage drops, and not setting up the equations correctly. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all values and variables are accounted for in the equations.