Is Honey Baked Hams Worth the Wait?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker had a $50 gift certificate to Honey Baked Hams and went to the store to purchase a ham. However, the store had a waiting list for hams and the speaker was not able to get one until January 5th. The speaker was frustrated and felt that the store was not living up to its name as they were not able to provide a ham immediately. The conversation also touched on the speaker's dislike for sweet meat.
tribdog
Kiss my Honey-Baked Butt!

Well, if you all remember I got a $50 gift certificate to Honey Baked Hams. Today I went down to the HBH store to get myself a little pork. I went inside and asked for the biggest ham I could get for this $50. The lady at the counter said okay, then she went to the computer and a little while later said, "You can pick up your ham on January 5th."
I said, "Where's the camera? Am I on TV?"
She said, "What do you mean?"
I said, "I'd just like to have a ham this year, that's all, just a regular ham."
She said, "There is a waiting list for our hams."
I said, "What do you cook them in? Easy-Bake ovens? How about putting a bigger light bulb in there and getting me a ham before my gift certificate expires."
She said, "Oh, it won't expire. You pay for the ham now."
I said, "The hell I do. I give you the money, then when I show up to get the ham in a few months and find nothing here but an empty building and about 25 other hungry, confused suckers."
She said, "Look I'm busy do you want the ham or not."
I said, "I'll think about it."
She said, "Thank you for shopping at Honey-Baked Hams, please come again and have a Happy Thanksgiving."
I didn't say anything I just gave her a dirty look and walked out the door.

Physics news on Phys.org
January 5th?! There's a waiting list over a month long?! I could understand if you were in there today looking for a ham for Thanksgiving day (because of course everyone has the traditional Thanksgiving HAM), but who ever heard of waiting over a month just to buy a ham? Wouldn't the point be to be able to get it when you need it? Did you ask her if there was anything you COULD buy sooner than next year? I just kind of want to know the answer to that question now.

Maybe my original idea of donating the gift certificate to charity wasn't so bad, now was it?

And it's not like I asked for an off the wall item. I didn't say "Could I please have a gallon of your finest pig tails." I asked for a honey baked ham, like the sign on the door says. Call me crazy, but if I go into a store that is named HAMS, I should think I could get a HAM.

tribdog said:
And it's not like I asked for an off the wall item. I didn't say "Could I please have a gallon of your finest pig tails." I asked for a honey baked ham, like the sign on the door says. Call me crazy, but if I go into a store that is named HAMS, I should think I could get a HAM.

What a strange thought that is? Actually selling the product they advertise? What were you thinking?

You'd think if they have enough demand to have a waiting list over a month that they could afford another oven or two, especially at the prices they charge!

Maybe the $50 ham you were demanding was too large. Perhaps the have smaller cuts of ham. Say, two for $25? Or are you really adamant about having a ginormous ham? :p

check said:
Maybe the $50 ham you were demanding was too large. Perhaps the have smaller cuts of ham. Say, two for $25? Or are you really adamant about having a ginormous ham? :p

Check, when he mentioned getting the gift certificate, I looked up their website. I think $50 was on the cheap side of what they have! Isn't that horrid? Hams that cost $50 and people are willing to pay that and even be put on a waiting list for it! :bugeye: Glad to know tribdog isn't dumb enough to go along with the crowd on that. :approve:

I'd imagine that a $50 ham would take a while to get; that's got to be one mighty fine ham. What kind of ham costs $50 to begin with?

wasteofo2 said:
I'd imagine that a $50 ham would take a while to get; that's got to be one mighty fine ham. What kind of ham costs $50 to begin with?
Actually at Honey Baked Hams, it's tiny. I don't even like Honey Baked Hams, I like smoked ham. As I've always said, REAL MEAT AIN'T SWEET or Meat that's sweet ain't fit to eat. I know, it's corny, but don't mess with my meat. :devil:

I hate it when someone adds sugar or fruit to meat. :yuck:

Last edited:
Evo said:

Cheers to that ! Does it disturb you too, to watch cows eating berries and stuff ? :yuck:

Gokul43201 said:
Cheers to that ! Does it disturb you too, to watch cows eating berries and stuff ? :yuck:
Cows eats berries? :bugeye: Is that where that strawberry flavored Nesquik comes from? :yuck:

Evo said:
Actually at Honey Baked Hams, it's tiny. I don't even like Honey Baked Hams, I like smoked ham. As I've always said, REAL MEAT AIN'T SWEET or Meat that's sweet ain't fit to eat. I know, it's corny, but don't mess with my meat. :devil:

I totally agree! I've never had Honey Baked Ham, but the idea of a sweet ham sounds icky. Ham is supposed to be salty and smoked. A little sugar to some fruits is okay, like when making cranberry sauce, but definitely not to meat! I was at a dinner for the workshop I attended last month and they brought out a cherry pie that I absolutely could not eat...I've never had to pass up pie before! But it was so horribly sweet, I took one bite and just left the rest. :yuck:

Jeez! Jan 5th?? Who knows if you'll even be in the mood for ham on Jan 5?
Maybe you can unload that gift certificate by "re-gifting" it.

Moonbear said:
I totally agree! I've never had Honey Baked Ham, but the idea of a sweet ham sounds icky. Ham is supposed to be salty and smoked. A little sugar to some fruits is okay, like when making cranberry sauce, but definitely not to meat! I was at a dinner for the workshop I attended last month and they brought out a cherry pie that I absolutely could not eat...I've never had to pass up pie before! But it was so horribly sweet, I took one bite and just left the rest. :yuck:
You're my kind of person. :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
Jeez! Jan 5th?? Who knows if you'll even be in the mood for ham on Jan 5?
Maybe you can unload that gift certificate by "re-gifting" it.

Hee hee...maybe that's why his boss gave it to him in the first place! Now that everyone knows there's really only one fruitcake that gets passed around from year to year, they had to come up with a new scam, and that's the Honey Baked Ham gift certificate! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Hee hee...maybe that's why his boss gave it to him in the first place! Now that everyone knows there's really only one fruitcake that gets passed around from year to year, they had to come up with a new scam, and that's the Honey Baked Ham gift certificate! :rofl:
LOL! I never thought of that :rofl: So there's NO such thing as a Honeybaked Ham -- just the gift certificate! :rofl:

I just checked out the website. Their hams range from 7lbs to 16lbs. ($68.95 - $127.95). YEESH. Even a pound and a half of nuts costs $36!

I was powerless to resist the urge to investigate this thread due to its intriguing subject line.

:bugeye:

check said:
I just checked out the website. Their hams range from 7lbs to 16lbs. ($68.95 - $127.95). YEESH. Even a pound and a half of nuts costs $36!

Isn't it pathetic? You can't even get their smallest ham with a $50 gift certificate! What's the point?

Moonbear said:
Isn't it pathetic? You can't even get their smallest ham with a $50 gift certificate! What's the point?

I think I'd just buy four of their seasoning shakers or a pie and throw it right back at them. Nah, I'd definitely go with the seasoning. Nothing says "F U!" like the old PEPPER IN THE EAR! Bah!

Twas Thanksgiving morning,
I was still in my bed.
But I'd better get up
if I want to get fed.

I didn't buy a turkey,
and couldn't get a ham.
My honey baked certificate
turned out to be a sham.

So if I want a dinner
that's not from Burger King
I better grab the phone book
and give someone a ring.

"Hello, my name is tribdog."
"What? You're mad at me?"
"I'm sorry 'bout your daughter."
"She looked old enough to me."

That first call went so badly
so I won't be eating there.
Calls two through thirty seven
were just as hard to bear.

Everyone I talked to
had something new to say
for why I'm not invited
to their Thanksgiving Day.

I refuse to let rejection
cast a shadow on my mood.
I have plenty to be thankful for
despite a lack of food.

I'm thankful I don't have to work.
I'm thankful for PF.
I'd be a lot more thankful
if my best friend was a chef.

Looks like a flame broiled Whopper
is all the food I'll see.
Cause the only turkey near this place
has turned out to be me.

Lol

Bravo, my compliments to the chef ! :rofl:

Awwww, tribdog. I'll be cooking a turkey later, (I think, if my daughter actually bought one and I can get it thawed out, as of 10pm last night, she still hadn't bought one - she asked "how long does it take to thaw?") :rolleyes: That's my older daughter. I'll shove a piece of half scorched half frozen turkey into the computer for you later. :smile:

I loved your poem. :approve:

At the grocery store I work at we're doing this thing where if you get $30 or more on an order you earn a point and seven points gets you a free turkey. Now the turkeys are from 10 - 14 pounds. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? You wouldn't believe the number of people who get mad at this. This one guy who came through my line, nearly went all out on me.

Anyway, $50 for a ham is just too much, I don't care if they cook it with expensive champagne. The most I've seen our price of hams is about $23 and it was a good size ham to feed probably a family of four for a day or two.

tribdog, I hope you found a place to go today. That would be too sad to sit home alone and have to resort to fast food for dinner. Do you have any cooking skills at all? I'm guessing only when it comes to roasting carpet with a torch and soda can :rofl:

1. Is Honey Baked Hams worth the wait?

The answer to this question is subjective and depends on individual preferences. However, many people believe that the high-quality and delicious taste of Honey Baked Hams makes it worth the wait.

2. How long is the typical wait time for Honey Baked Hams?

The wait time for Honey Baked Hams can vary depending on the location and time of year. However, during peak holiday seasons, the wait time can range from 1-2 hours. It is recommended to place an order in advance to avoid longer wait times.

3. Why does it take so long to get a Honey Baked Ham?

Honey Baked Hams are slow-cooked for hours, which gives them their signature tender and juicy texture. This slow-cooking process is what makes them so delicious but also contributes to the longer wait times.

4. Are there any alternatives to waiting for a Honey Baked Ham?

Yes, you can pre-order your Honey Baked Ham online or by phone to avoid waiting in line. Additionally, some locations may offer a "fast lane" for customers who have pre-ordered.

5. Is there a difference in taste between a pre-ordered Honey Baked Ham and one purchased in-store?

No, there is no difference in taste between a pre-ordered Honey Baked Ham and one purchased in-store. Both are cooked and prepared in the same manner, ensuring the same delicious taste. The only difference is the wait time.